Half-assed breeding...

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by FriendOfEvanW, Jan 22, 2016.

1. So I am experimenting with breeding my own strain, in a roundabout and nonscientific way. Long story short, I have two small yet perky male plants that are about two weeks in to flowering. I decided on a whim to stick a small female plant in the flower room and see if I can get some Nigerian Nightmare/Lost Coast Hashplant seeds for spring. I put all three close together, and after a couple days I can see that the female is showing pistils and is coated with pollen. So what's the next step here? Just wait until the seeds look ready and just pop them out? Sorry to sound like a novice, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

2. Indeed everyone starts somewhere, I think rather than call it half ass breeding you should refer to it as seed making. Hinting at breeding suggests a not entirely different scenario.You will want to wait at least 4 weeks, at least which means you could go more which I find is better, I usually wait till seeds start to drop on there own. Or you can easily brush them lightly out of the bud after the calyx have opened to expose them.

Then they must be dried, and stored at the very least in a cool dry dark place, I like the fridge in a sealed container with fresh desiccant, heat and moisture are your worst enemies when storing seed.

3. There is nothing half assed honestly. You did not make selections, but other than that nothingis half assed aobut what you are doing. It is known as hobby breeding. Seed typically take about 30 or so days to mature. I typically hit my plants with pollen some place between 3-5 weeks depending on flowering time for that specific variety. What you are doing is basically an open pollination using 2 males and one female. The female will be pretty much worthless for flowers pollinating in this manner b/c it will be full of seeds. Not so much a bad thing b/c you can harvest your seeds and blast the remaining flowers for concentrates. The best part aobut this is you have given yourself a huge surplus of beans which you can begin to grow out an dmake selections from to selectively carry on this variety and improve upon it as you make better selections for the parents.