White Widow - SuperSoil Grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by AgentJay, Jan 21, 2016.

1. #1 AgentJay, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
    Hello there.
    This will be the 3rd grow ive done. the first 2 didnt turn out so good...long story, moving on.

Some details about Grow:

Strain: White Widow (feminized) - average flower time = 60 days
    Soil: TGA SuperSoil recipe (mixed and cooked 60 days) http://www.growweedeasy.com/organic-super-soil#sup...
    Grow Area: 10'x10'x6.5' Agromaxx tent.
    Lighting: 1000w HPS(xxxlDominator) + 400wHPS (i had extra from other setup, so i put in tent)
    RH: currently 37%-pretty stable
    Temp: 75on 68off
    Progress: today is day #52 of flowering

From seed to flower was pretty normal no problems to report.
    started seeds like normal, in paper towel. Planted sprouts in HappyFrog and let veg' for 4 weeks. Until they were about 1/2-1/3rd the height i wanted them to be in the end. Topped all 4 plants at this time, above the 3rd set of established leaves.

Switched lights to 12/12, and also replanted into 5-gallon buckets with the bottom 1/3rd of bucket filled with SuperSoil. The rest with more HappyFrog. Watered with tap water (030ppm from tap, we have clean water here in NorthWest) as needed. And for the most part....no problems at all. Growth rate was what i expected and everything looked great.

Flowers started developing and after 5-6 weeks, pistils starting turning orange. And then i saw it....Gnats!!
    Being a beginner still,..apparently i had over-watered once or thrice. And this led to fungus gnats in soil, despite very adequate ventilation and drainage.
    Also, at this time i noticed 2 of the 4 plants had much lighter color than the other 2. Not yellow, but light/lime green. I assume that is where the gnats had begun moving in.
    So, to deal with the problem. First i sprayed plants down with a mild soap/water solution. Then i applied (food grade)Diatomaceous Earth to plants. Sprinkled a thin layer on top of soil, and also dusted the underside of leaves. This seems to have dealt with the little unwanted pests rather quickly. Several days later and no signs of gnats. I have yellow sticky cards to catch any survivors.
    After harvesting this crop i am planning on really sterilizing grow area to make sure.

That is where I'm at today. The 2 plants that seemed to be effected more by gnats, are still different/lighter in color. But otherwise healthy. Pistils are just about all curled in and approx. 40% orange. Trichomes are slightly cloudy on day #52.
    From here on, just keeping an eye on trichomes and counting the days.
    Any helpful input or advice is welcome.

*err wont let me post pics yet.
    ill try again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 AgentJay, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Day #12 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #28 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #33 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #33 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #46 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #46 ^^
    [​IMG]
    Day #51 ^^ * before i washed D.E off.
    [​IMG]
    Day #51 ^^ *white stuff is D.E - not PM [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day #51 ^^ *I have showered them but haven't taken new pics since.

Attached Files:

3. Your other two may have not turned out too well, but these look really nice in spite of you having gnats. I've been growing the White Widow strain now pretty hot and heavy for the last year and yours look really good. Been using tap water from the beginning too. A lot of people freak out over that, but the treatment plants don't use chlorine anymore. They've switched to chloramine which doesn't evaporate and there isn't enough of it in tap water to harm your plants. One thing that I can pass on is that growing in 5 gallon buckets can make it difficult sometimes to determine the real moisture level down deep around the roots and constant moisture around the roots makes them unhappy. They will feel bone dry and seem ready, but will actually be wet around the roots. The best thing I came up with to deal with it is a moisture probe with a long probe that I can stick down deep and get a good reading. I've also had better luck increasing my foliage and bud size by not going in the 5 gallon buckets and keeping them in 3 gallon pots. I decided to try it after thinking about ferns and how they only get big and bulky once they're really root bound. So the last run I did, I did some in buckets and some in 3 gallon pots and the ones in the pots have gone wild as far as foliage growth. Much better than the buckets. Just something I thought I would pass on that you might want to try. The more you grow, the better you get at it. Looks like, for the most part, you've got the process down so everything from this point on should only get better and better. Good luck! TWW

4. thanks, yeah. ive already decided to not use buckets again.
    youre exactly right. i made bunch of holes at bottoms but...moisture just accumulates there no matter what.
    i ordered some smart pots for next round.

5. #6 AgentJay, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    [​IMG]
    this one seemed to be effected the most. a little rough but, i think it will be ok for a few more weeks.
    [​IMG]
    Day #53 ^^

6. #7 AgentJay, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016

just purchased a bunch of 3-gallon smart pots based on your recommendation. thanks for the info TWW.

ive got 4 more white widow started a few weeks ago and 2 blueberry...should be ready to put in flower tent just about when first 4 are done.

but what im really excited about is,..just ordered some more seeds from Bonza. "Choco-mint OG", "GrandDaddyPurp", my all-time-fav "BlueDream" and "BerryBomb".

7. Another stellar soil grow. Looking good
    Subbed up for sure. Feel free to check out my new grow.

8. Day #59

looks like: mostly cloudy,..little amber. yes?

Attached Files:

9. i got a better scope in mail today,.it doesnt take pics but lets me see really clearly.
    all 4 plants showing amber in trichomes. the ones that arent amber are definitely milky.
    but very little yellowing has occurred.

because of my organic soil...and the fact that i had added 2 inches of fresh(hot) soil to bottom of containers about 2-3 weeks ago, i suspect that is why not many leaves have yellowed, despite trichomes showing signs of maturity?
    i did thorough flush 3 days ago.

im trying to be patient, to get the best results..but some confirmation would be very helpful.
    today is day #62 of 12/12

10. No need to flush but if you did just let it dry out with good fan action

11. #12 killset, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    Please stop flushing your organic soil. Leave that for the bottled nute guys to get rid of access salts and synthetic nutrients in the soil. You're soil doesn't need it and you're plant won't benifit from it. You're wasting water.

You're leaves are yellowing because you're plant is coming towards the end of its cycle and your plant will autumn off. Totally natural. Looks good man
    Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. thank you for your input. i will put it to good use.

13. Chopped 1 of 4 last night. Day #62 of 12/12

489(wet)grams in that bucket, sugar leaves/shake/tiny buds in bottom of bucket.

Hung in tent:37%-45%RH 66-70F. no lights. all fans still running.

common knowledge says dry weight = approx. 1/4 of wet weight.
    or about 75%-80% loss in weight.
    time will tell.....

Attached Files:

14. What magnification are you using for those pics ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #16 AgentJay, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016

the pics of trichomes were taken with this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Op...

i believe its 40x mag. (edit 53xZoom)
    resolution only 640x480.

tbh i would not buy this product again.
    they get expensive but,..the higher resolution ones are way better.

but for $40 this one does the job.

16. #17 AgentJay, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
    Chopped down 3 of 4 in the past few days, @ day #63 of 12/12.
    letting last one ripen a bit more.

Data so far:

407g buds wet
    82g trim wet
    489g = 17.249 oz. wet

400g buds wet
    36g trim wet
    436g = 15.376 oz. wet

375g buds wet
    95g trim wet (and buds)

470g = 16.5788 oz. wet

Plant #1 of 4:

dried in tent for 4 days with 40%RH/70F.

today stems were "snappy" not "bendy"
    so i jarred the 1st plant in 4 mason jars with Boveda pack(62%)
    removed a lot of stem before put in jar.

currently - 133g/4.69oz.

#'s 2 and 3 need more drying before jar.

Attached Files:

17. #18 AgentJay, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
    3 of 4 plants in jars.
    decided to let last one go a bit more.
    10.93 oz. in jars.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nice. Did you just top/fim them or super crop ??