YouAverageGrowJournal: Gorilla Glue, LED, SCROG, RDWC, Advanced Nutrients

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by YourAverageToker, Jan 21, 2016.

1. #1 YourAverageToker, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Welcome everyone to my first grow journal!
    I'm a 24 year old MMJ Patient in California with absolutely no growing experience what so ever. I've learned everything I know by reading just like everyone else. I may do things in this journal that you don't agree with but at least now you'll have something to compare too. This journal is a learning experience and I will try my best to update this periodically. If you see anything wrong or if you want to share some quality advice please do so. Feel free to share some pictures of your plants!

Equipment List:
    • Gorilla Grow Tent: 2x2.5x6'7
    • 22inx26in PVC SCRoG
    • Mars Hydro Reflector 96
    • 5 Gallon Reservoir RDWC
    • Eco Air 2 126 GPH air pump
    • Active Aqua 160 GPH water pump
    • Hydroton
    • Gorilla Glue Clone
    • Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow/Bloom, Voodoo Juice, Piranha, Tarantula, CarboLoad, Big Bud, Overdrive, Sensizym and Flawless Finish

2. So my original plan was to do plenty of lst and top 4/5 times and then weave in the scrog. I just learned about 'mainlining' and I was wondering if anyone could put any input as to which method is better?

3. Disregard, I'm just going to go with main-lining

4. Sounds like a good plan. Might be able to offer more insight with some pictures of your setup. Do you have a reservoir attached to your 5 gallon bucket? The most important thing, have you monitored the solution temperature in your system before putting the plants in? You're going to want to get your system set up and ready to go, and record your solution temperatures during the day and night, with your light on and off (took me 2 days to get records of solution temperature ranges). As long as your solution stays between 60-68°F you're safe from root rot.

Im also interested in seeing how your LED performs. Though on a side note; while looking at the spec for it, was that it uses 5W LED's, of which it has 96. I could definitely be wrong about this, but wouldnt powering 96x5W LEDs run at 480W? But then it specifies "Power Consumption: 120V:207W±5%" which is less than half the number I came up with. Might have more to do with the LED drivers than the LEDs themselves.

5. #6 YourAverageToker, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    I don't have a reservoir on my bucket but this plant will have my full attention.
    My tent gets here tomorrow so I'll be able to do some tests over the weekend. As for my LED, I turned it on and the temperatures surprised me! I had my hand about 3 inches away from the light and barely felt any heat at all. But we'll see once it's in the tent.

6. As the plant gets bigger, it will become increasingly difficult to refill, add nutrients and PH correct if its just a 5 gallon bucket without a reservoir. After scrogging it, it will be impossible. You'll want to plan around that by attaching a reservoir that cycles the water back and fourth. Also its the water temperature thats most important, you need a water thermometer to make sure your water isnt getting too hot, this is a critical step you cannot afford to skip or else it can be lethal to your plants in the long run.

7. #9 YourAverageToker, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    Fortunately for me I bought an extra 5 gallon with a lid. I'll be making some changes to my build and making it an RDWC. Stay tuned for pictures!

8. Excellent yes just like that, I think it will really be beneficial in the long run. I wouldnt worry too much about cleaning your reservoir that often, as long as the temps are below 70 and its not exposed to light. You can drain and refil, drain and refill in order to flush some of the nutrient salts that build up in the bottom, but that takes a while and since RDWC delivers the nutrients so effectively and consistently that you can easily make due with a lower PPM than you would with say a flood tray. Check my journal out in my signature, its my first RDWC / second grow total, and I have another 5-6 weeks left before harvest.

9. As promised, here are some pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. #12 YourAverageToker, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    Here's my setup!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Now that all the fun in setting it up is over I noticed that I need to get bigger clips so I can raise my lights for more growth. Also, I let my light run for about an hour and closed everything up, temperatures steadily rose from 78 up to 84 Fahrenheit. If I put a clip fan in there will that keep temperatures somewhat down or do I have to hook up an exhaust fan? Let me know if you see anything worth changing!

12. maybe an ac line going into the tent with a tan blowing toward the lights? How warm does that led get your water?

13. Looking good man, you're on your way! You'll likely need a fan to push air out of your room. With that size of tube between your two buckets (the back flow to the external bucket) you will want to constantly check to make sure that its not clogged. I used 3" pvc for my backflow and at the size they've reached I believe anything below 2" would have clogged. The root growth follows the movement of water. Also you need to be monitoring your water temperature, its more important than the air temperature. Make sure it is not going above 70f! The reflective cover you have on the buckets will help deter heat transfer too though, nice job.

14. Alright doing some tests now. I checked the ppm of my tap water and its around 400 so I was considering buying two 5 gallon jugs and getting them filled at the water dispenser (ppm < 100). I have my system running right now with 4 gallons of water in it, the temperature of the water before was around 69 so I'll check back in an hour or so. Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate em :)

15. Still waiting on the seeds. I checked the water about two hours later and temps were still around 69 so I think I should be good to go. I also changed my germination method, going to go with gold growers technique. I'll post some pics as soon as the seeds get here.

16. #18 YourAverageToker, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
    Update!!!!

So my seeds have not yet arrived but thankfully I was able to snag a gorilla glue clone at cannabis cup yesterday [​IMG]
    I put the clone into my system and gave it nutes (578 ppm)

FILE0011.JPG
    FILE0002.JPG
    She's had 18 hours of light and is on her first dark period (6 hours)
    I took the time today to build my scrog since I got my clone at 7 inches.

FILE0010.JPG
    FILE0016.JPG

Humidity is staying relatively low inside the tent (38-50) is this too low for my clone?
    I can't wait for the roots to hit the water and to see some new growth!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by!

Attached Files:

17. #19 YourAverageToker, Feb 2, 2016
    Day 2 Morning Update:
    • Internal temps: 70-75°f
    • Humidity: 36%
    • PPM: 611 then adjusted to 580
    So since my ppm went up that means that my plant isn't taking up the nutrients correct? Should I add more water to the res and drop the ppm even lower than 580? I've been spraying the rockwool with some ph balanced water every couple of hours or so.
    3/8/2016 EDIT:
    What I didn't notice when I first posted this picture was that the top leaves were starting to get bleached by my LED.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. #20 YourAverageToker, Feb 3, 2016
    Day 3 Update:
    [​IMG]

My plant is getting 18 hours of light with a 6 hour dark period. The lights come on at 12 AM and shut off at 6 PM. I realized I needed more accurate readings so when lights came back on at 12 I topped off my res and added 10ml each of Sensi grow A+B and 5ml each of B-52 + Voodoo Juice(645 PPM) Going to check the res again when lights go off at 6 PM and I'm going to see if she can handle more nutes.
    Internal temps when lights are off are around 70° with humidity ±33%. Internal temps with lights on range from 75°-85° with humidity ranging from 30-43%. I've been placing a damp towel inside my tent to try and help with the humidity but I'll probably be buying a humidifier to make things easier.
    Here are some pictures I took about 30 min ago.
    3/8/16 EDIT:
    Again, because of my lack of experience I thought this purpling of the stem was normal but my plant was actually showing signs of root bound. This was caused by overwatering the rockwool cube. You can also see the leave drooping due to the LED stress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think about the big pictures? I'm too lazy to edit them down...at least they're high quality? Anyways, I will update later today, thanks again for stopping by!