My first grow - Autoflower Afghan Feminized, help?

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ithinkigonedumb, Jan 21, 2016.

1. #1 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016

<del></del>[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off, if you are a good person with helpful knowledge in this area and would like to help a newbie grower on his first grow, hit subscribe right now and let me know what you think so far. ANY and ALL help/tips/answers/thoughts are appreciated.

So I just started the paper towel method today to germinate my seeds,
    and I plan to show you what I have so you can help me out throughout my
    entire first grow from seed to weed, so heres a list of what I have and
    I will upload some pics tomorrow of the setup and the seeds

Materials:

# of Plants: I plan to start with 1 plant for my first grow,

Seeds: Autoflower afghan feminized, reps to mjseedscanada on the discreet shipping

Setup: Milliard Grow Tent small closet size, will update with dimensions

Lighting: Marshydro 480 watt reflector l.e.d

5 gallon smart pot

fan: inline duct fan with charcoal carbon filter and a duct fan speed adjuster for noise

Timer: hydrofarm 7-day digital program timer

humidity:indoor humidity monitor

PH control: general hydroponics PH control kit

Soil: Fox farm ocean forest organic potting soil

Soil testing: Dr.meter hydrometer soil water monitor

Nutes: Fox farm liquid nutrient trio: Big bloom, Grow big, Tiger bloom.

So
    thats pretty much what I have, I guess my first questions would be the
    lighting for Autoflowers. I turn on both growth and bloom? and for how
    long? Also, when it comes to nutrients, the directions it came with are
    confusing and Im having trouble understanding the chart for when to use
    them and how much, i will also upload a picture of that tomorrow so
    maybe you guys can explain. My last question for now is what the
    distance should be from the light to the top of the plant (or soil when
    first planting from germination)?

I
    appreciate any help or tips from anyone as this is my first grow, wish
    me luck! also if you think it will help send me a link to your grow,
    thanks.

2. Hi. Welcome to the growing world. You'll need to germinate your seeds and then place them (carefully with tweezers so you don't pull the root tail off as you move it) into Solo cups in the soil. Fill cups up leaving enough room to water and punch lots of drain holes in bottom of cup for proper drainage. Your light will need to be set for the veg spectrum for this part of the grow. Once you change the light schedule to 12/12, you'll use the light on the flowering spectrum. But for now, you'll need to veg them for awhile to get them big enough to flower off. Once you put the germinated seeds into cups, water them in with properly pH'd water (range of 6.3 to 6.5). Then put your cups under the light starting with the light high so as not to burn your new seedling. LEDs can burn hot to young plants if you don't leave enough space between the light and the plant. Leave them alone TOTALLY until the cup has gotten at least 80% dry. It will feel as light as it did when you planted the germinated seed into the soil before you give it more water. Over watering is the biggest problem for new growers. You need defined wet/dry cycles to keep them healthy and you can't have them in constant moisture. So let them dry out before you water. You shouldn't need any nutes until the plant has been growing for a few weeks. Leave them in the cups until your plant gets as tall and wide as the cup itself. Once they reach that size, you transplant into a 1 gallon pot using the same technique above....minus the tweezers obviously. I generally start giving nutes about the end of the third week in the 1 gallon pot. Each time you repot, you will re-up the nutes the plant pulls naturally from the soil and you don't give more until the plant uses up what's provided for it. They will eventually grow big enough and will drain the soil of nutrients and you will have to feed them. I suggest you buy yourself a ppm meter since it helps keep you from burning your plants with a solution that is too strong or "hot." They're only about $10-15. Get in the new grower threads here and read in the soil section. Lots of good basic info that every grower needs to operate off of there and plenty of nice folks willing to share their process and help you figure out any issues you might be having. There is a right way and a wrong way and you'll help yourself a LOT by taking the time before you get too deep to figure out what's right and what doesn't work. Good luck! TWW

3. Your doing autos so unfortunately no clones and also what light schedule will you do?

4. no clones on autos, got it. Jayready that was my question, what should the light schedule be for autoflowers? i thought it always stayed the same throughout the entire cycle, im just not sure what it is? and is that true?

5. #5 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
    Thankyou the widow white, hoping this grow goes well, i also got 5 free feminized white widow seeds ill probably try for my next grow. Will post pics tomorrow

6. 18-6 20-4 24-0 those are your options im doing 20 and 4

Sent from my LGMS631 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
    Ok thanks Im going to check out your grow now, i will do the the 18-6

8. #8 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 21, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres those photos I promised, Looks like one of the seeds has opened up(top one in the pic), I can see white inside

Can anyone take a look at the chart in these pics ^ for feeding nutrients and I guess translate/explain it to me and tell me what to use and when

9. #9 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 22, 2016
    Whats up guys, in the pics you should be able to see my setup. Anyway, I am germinating 2 seeds so if all goes well then I guess Ill shoot for 2 plants instead of 1, how do you guys feel about a scrog on these 2 autoflower afghan feminized plants-to-be in my small grow tent?

10. #10 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks again for all the info, and just curious when you said "once you change the light schedule to 12/12", does this have to be done on autoflowers, I thought it was like 18/6 throughout the entire grow?

12. 18 6 whole grow he confused with other genetics glad your doing 18 6! My next grow will be 18 6 following 24 0 after just to see all aspects and the knowledge happy grow! Update frequently im pumped to see where this goes!

13. Thanks for the reply and the info like i said since this is my first grow i need all the help I can get and I was hoping for more feedback from people. I still dont know how to use the foxfarm trio fertilizers with the chart in the picture i have if anyone can help please

14. Lol me too idk if i should lst
    [​IMG]
    But i may go no nutes my first go idk gotta read more on it all i know is what ever the label on the back says to mix divide by 1/4 for autos but besides thats im lost and that lil piece of info maybe wrong too lmao

15. just an update of the seeds, both have opened up, looks like im going for 2 plants instead of 1! Subscribe !.

[​IMG]

16. Lookin good. thanks ill do that 1/4 strength nutes, I found a video on youtube that kinda explains the fox farm trio nutrients for me. Ill be messing around with a scrog setup in my tent later today after i get home from class and getting smart pots ready to go, I keep reading the autos dont like transplanting so ill be planting them in their final and only buckets first, sound good? . Will update with pictures later

17. can you message me that video please

18. #18 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think of the scrog setup for my 2 auto afghan feminized plants?

19. ditch the scrog and lst your plants between week 2-3 instead. Get that popped seed into its final container. Run the light on veg spectrum for the first 2 weeks or so. Then go full power. Autos hit a major growth spurt around week 3. As for the nutrients, go easy on them. I use the Fox farm stuff too and an auto in a 5 gallon container won't need much more nutes. But it will definitely need some along the way. I would suggest picking up a calmag supplement. LED grows need it , your plants will develop a deficiency if you don't add anything.
    Good luck man
    I'll be around

20. #20 ithinkigonedumb, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016

thanks man it helps alot. Thats what i needed to hear, i was having so much trouble just trying to understand how and when to use the nutes but i think i have a decent understanding of how to use them now for my auto. Im letting the see without the root sit for a couple days to seed if it comes out and i already got the rooted one in the soil on veg, light is at 13 inches from soil
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: