Why do you choose to believe in a god/higher power?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Tonypla11, Jan 20, 2016.

1. I question all things, everything is so interesting. It all deserves a fair shake. The orgin of consciousness is not fully understood yet. Thats okay perhaps we will one day.

My understanding goes like this. The ability translates to consciousness which came to be through evolution of the brain and body. Consciousness is a complex mixture of senses. There is a progression from instincts to emotions to abstract thoughts to intellectual discussion through language and civilization.

This phrase keeps being uttered by you, "poofed into existence from nothing".
    Nothingness cannot be understood, just like infinity. Is it even a thing? Or perhaps just a gap filler due to lack of human understanding? All things change over time since motion is present in this reality. Perhaps the universe has always been? Or had a beginning? We as humans do not know at this time. To me the most reasonable one is it has always been. Just cause thinking about that topic is maddening.

2. You are using what I call poetic wordplay. Holds no substance, can mean anything. Sounds fun yet cannot question, does no justice to discussion.

I only see reply with the first question. An individual is stating, I presume knows 'god', but states other individuals do not?
    Since 'god' does not stand beyond human civilization, it is a product of said human civilization. Any abstract idea can have infinite knowledge at the hand of any author with a mind that has the capacity of intelligent thought. With that being said, comprehension can be any value. But why have it be not comprehensible? Unless in order to not question?

3. I agree with that!! But what put all that into motion? My common sense and logic tells me that something had to put that into motion. I cannot comprehend that it came from.......nothing?

How does one look out into the stars and say "ok.......whatever" and not question where all this came from and why it's here?

4. So your not creating matrixes ie parallel dimensions in your brain otherwise channeling them in from another life perhaps?

And your not comprehending anything in your brain?

Where do you comprehend the matrix at my friend?

5. The forces of nature put things in motion. That is just a broad explanation. The smallest things behind these motions are the greatest mystery. Like Ive said before, we do not have all the answers. Who knows if we will ever?

Thats okay, our understanding can only move so fast. You say you cannot comprehend? Just cause your inability to comprehend doesn't mean dont try to understand or just go with something else.

Dont know if the last part refers to me. But Im not looking at the stars saying "whatever". I do question it all, doesn't mean ill always find the answers or even understand them. Ill keep trying though, not just assume something else. And why implies purpose, must there be a purpose? Things simply are, and thats cool. Perhaps we will find out if it simply is or isnt.

6. Fair.

Let me ask you this, if something did in fact create us, where did that something come from? Did it just poof into existence from nothing?

I'm not belittling your statement. Please don't take it that way. I genuinely would like to hear your response.

7. Ah, so there is a higher power!! It's the forces of nature!! See how you did that?

You are smart for excepting things as the way they are instead of going insane trying to figure them out. I should practice that myself.

Anyway, this was a good conversation and I am glad you had it with me. I enjoyed it. Thank you!

8. Now that's where I draw the line on insanity. I do not know the answer, but yes, instinctivly, I ask the F outta that question. My limited thinking only allows me to say it had to come from something. Then I try to figure out what, and I go insane. The bible says that God was always there. The begining and the end. But my limited thinking cannot wrap itself around that concept. It's difficult for me to concieve, given the prison cell of time that we are captured in. Infinity is beyond time. Huh? What? I don't understand.......

9. #31 SmokeTreees, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
    I 100% believe in some type of higher power, higher intelligence, etc. Yes, I'd like to say there's some type of omnipotent, supreme being per-say, but I think it would be interesting if that same "consciousness" ended up being just a manifestation, or different types of manifestations of the order and chaos of the galaxies.

But as to why I believe in some type(s) of higher being, is because I have indeed been contacted by a spirit that was obviously making it's presence known. And ever since I've noticed certain things in my life play out quite strangely, of course all for the most better! It's almost as if I've been enlightened by a sixth sense or some shit. yezzirr

10. At least you ask the question. Many don't.

It's always struck me as odd that folks can't fathom the universe has always just been there, but have no qualms accepting that a god has always been there.

11. I was just thinking the same thing!!! Do animals look up to the stars and ask how and why? No. They just exist and die. Plants are a life form. They do not question either. Humans are the only ones that do this. Why only humans? Why are we so special?

Do you remember when they found evidence of possible glaciers that used to exist on Mars? Science was suggesting that there could have been life on Mars at one point. Well, with the atmosphere that planet has compared to Earth, it would have been quite different. And it's so close to Earth! And yet, we are the only known life forms that we have explored in this universe. NASA released a module called "Deep space 9" that is out there searching for other life forms. We have found nothing. We are the only ones all alone in this universe.

12. #34 firerat, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016

How do you know they don't ponder their own existence? Because they cannot communicate their feelings to us? there are a lot of anthropological studies on primates that may have you questioning that statement.

I'm far to lazy to google fu any right now though. LOL

We haven't explored anything yet. What we have seen is equivalent to examining a grain of sand on a beach. There is SO MUCH more that we don't even know that we don't know.

Hell, we can't even get off of own planet yet besides to go to own moon. Just because we haven't found anything doesn't mean it isn't out there. It just means it isn't on our grain of sand.

13. The easiest explanation, to me, is that when you answer how.. you will have the answer to why. Why did life begin? Because amino acids and proteins and other building blocks of life came together through natural causes. Why do we think? Because our brain evolved to think. Kind of shitty examples, but to many.. the answer of how is the answer of why. As long as we don't know how, we will always be asking how and why. As someone who hasn't believed in God since like ever, I still ask the questions of how we came to be.. it's just that many don't accept Tue answer of how for the answer of why.

14. I missed the post about humans only asking why.. which I don't agree with. No offense, but that is an answer as seen through the human ego.. slightly self centered. Until we can crack and read an animal's brain 100%, while they're alive, we can never say for sure.. but there are plenty of studies out there that show animals think and feel, and a lot are very similar to us in brain activity. Some animals have been shown to mourn, which tells me they're aware they can die, which means they're aware they're alive. One of the most recognizable words world wide is "huh".. it's right up there with 'ok' and 'Coca-cola'. Anyway, huh isn't a word.. it's a sound we make when we question something. We cock our head a lil and go 'huh?' when we try to understand something better. Thing is, humans aren't the only animal to do it. Look at dogs.. they do it a lot. When they're trying to better understand something, they ask the question of "huh?". If you take that information and combine it with the information that dung beetles have been shown to use the bands of the Milky Way in the night sky to navigate.. it seems highly plausible that somewhere in between there are animals that ask 'huh' when looking at the night sky. Thing is, they can't afford much time in the wild to ponder existence.. otherwise they'll be eaten and no longer able to ponder existence. We humans have provided a safe zone for us to kick back and reflect on life versus fighting to survive.

15. The whole question of animal intelligence can be summed up in that we'll never know. Fuck, we won't know a lot because we are continually living this one life, we have only ours to judge off. However, given that we are built the way we are, given that we haven't seen another animal produce a fire. We can say they either don't have any need for higher intelligence, and/or live just fine without it. Communication is one thing Mantikore, and dogs are pretty smart cuz of us.

My bet is that animals live mainly off of instincts. We get to choose how we influence our subconscious. Looking at the world as a hierarchy we don't have any reason not to consider ourselves gods.

16. Emotions are instincts.. but in that you can say we can never know what an animal thinks or feels, the same can be said from person to person. As for fire and our intelligence, it's not like we instantly learned how to make fire. We learned about fire through nature.. and then all we could do is take natural fire and use it. We didn't learn to make fire until long after we learned to take it from nature and use it. The reason we were able to is because our physical evolution put us in a spot where the last bit that needed honed was our intelligence. We already evolved opposable thumbs and bipedalism, which just left our brains. I have no doubt that if we didn't secure the top position, if another animal evolved and honed the physical traits needed before intelligence can be honed.. other animals could learn to control and then make fire. Fire doesn't make us special, nothing makes us special in comparison to life itself.

On a side note, did you know that if the oxygen levels were just a few % lower, fire wouldn't have even been possible? I highly doubt that if the atmosphere were different and made it impossible for fire to exist that we still wouldn't be where we are or close to it. We are where we are because we got lucky in evolution and evolved physical traits that allowed us to hone our intelligence.

17. Yes, elephants have been proven to show compassion. And they do mourn other dead elephants. I never knew that a dung beetle with it's tiny eyes and brain can even see the milky way. Interesting.

Homing pidgeons fascinate me. How do they know where to fly? You can blindfold these animals and take them to another location, and they know where home is. Fascinating!

18. Totally agree with that first paragraph...given the other animals we would be in competition with have those very same physical traits. That's what I call racism lol there's a wack load of ways to look human.

Really I can't imagine a more mobile and/or advanced type of being that does not resemble us...anything else I feel would be extra limbs.

The universe evolves well enough to sustain conscious beings, it's ultimate wonder. Sometimes I think it can really only be this way, sure trees will look a little different elsewhere, people might have their nose look funny on another planet. But shit, it's all the same. I have this opinion now, but know well enough it may not be so.