The Little Bud that Grew

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by roco_waters, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Feb 6th - Tie Me Up and Call Me Jane

I probably should have done this sooner but I decided to tie down the 4 main branches to promote light/airflow/growth.

I have no idea if this is a good time to do it or if its too far. Using YouTube as a guide so any advice would rock.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Looks good

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

3. Feb 7th - A Poor Man's CO2

Decided to try out the homemade CO2 recipe I saw on the grow420guide YouTube channel. I only had Rapid Rise not Highly Active but well see if it matters.

Pretty sure I made a huge mistake. The top soil was getting depresses during waterings and roots were showing. So I took some soil from a sick plant outside and now I think I brought spidermites back.... Got a can of pest control coming in from Amazon now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Sweet. How long is it supposed to last? Did you enclose the space? And bummer about the bugs man, those things are the devil!

5. Feb 7th - IT'S A GIRL!!!

So I've been staring at the top two center nodes for the past 5 days looking for white hairs with no results. Today I started looking at other places and found what I've been waiting for. Small small white hairs poking out from the prebud. So proud.

[​IMG]

6. 2 weeks and it's not enclosed. The hydro folk didn't recommend these things which you can buy pre-made for $30. This cost about $2.50 so I'm not complaining.

In future I think I'm going to seal the bottle and then have airline tubing going from it directly to the plant. I also think this has use in a clone bed with the same tubing entering the dome.

The only thing is this makes your room smell yeasty like a brewery...

7. Not tight at all but I figure it can't hurt. I hear it's better if you use airline tubing to direct the CO2 to the plant.

I didn't see any mites this morning, i think maybe it could be actual baby spiders. I have bug bomb just encase.

8. #49 roco_waters, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
    Feb 8th - Jack and Jill Wish they had my Bucket

I'm two weeks into flower and a happy man. Plant is doing amazing and I find myself laying on my back and staring at it through the canopy.

I wanted to share an update on the bucket I made previously. I threw the top out and it stopped pealing. I also attached the hose to the side because I kept getting water everywhere.

If your a small grower and don't know, mixing you water in a bucket with a pump that can aerate the water which brings O2 to the roots and helps with even mixing of the nutes. The folks at they hydro store helped with that piece of gold.

The clones haven't showed roots yet but I've been told it's because I opened the bucket ever day and broke the microroots as they formed. The key to clones is to leave them completely alone for 2 weeks. I also should have used a tray and not this bucket [​IMG]

Live and learn

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. #50 roco_waters, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
    Feb 9th - Roxanne, you don't have to turn on the red light.

Welp I switched to the red bulbs to flower while it was asleep. I'm sad because the room isn't nearly as fun to look at. 6-8 more weeks and I'll harvest. Looking forward to it.

It's kinda hard to tell from the photos that its a red room.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Feb 13th - Status Quo

Tending the plant has become a regular routine. There's fewer unknowns to worry about and random events ( overwatering, nute lock, bugs ) have stopped so its pretty much a waiting game. Turns out not spider mites.

The training I did on the 4 exterior arms seems to have paid off. They have grown upwards again and the extra light flow has helped the middle of the plant flush out. I picked up some netting and plan on doing a proper trestle soon. I pulled the arms further down, watered it and trimmed some lower leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Feb 14th - Build it 2 Cubits x 2 Cubits

The middle of the plant was taller then the rest and I felt it monopolizing the light, so I built a trestle outta some parts I had bought at the hydro store. A mesh screen, bamboo rails and hung by chain & winches. Not sure if its the right time but pushing down the tall growth seems to allow me to keep the light lower.

I ordered 4 single unit T5 lights that should be coming in next week. The goal is to position them at the 4 corners of the plant to supply supplemental light.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. #53 roco_waters, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    Feb 17th - I present to you the Trestle Light!!!

So the plants growth on the outside started to slow down due to lack of direct lumens. I decided to attach 4 single unit T5's to the trestle. I think it looks bomb, i just hope it doesn't start a fire.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Feb 18th - The Clone Wars

I had taken 4 clones from the plant a few weeks ago. I used a clone bucket with rockwool to root them. Right away the rooting process was slow. A grow tray and cubes may have been better. Also I've been told you need to leave them alone for at least a week or you'll break the microroots.

About 8-10 days in I notice roots on one. That seemed to be my superman. A week later and the bucket really grew the roots out on it. At this time I got a mildew problem. I'm not sure if this effected growth but the other three clones became stagnant.

I covered the cubes and decided to plant the clone thats rocking out in coco/perlite. It's doing amazing and I have roots coming in now on a second clone.

I'm realizing I don't really have room for more plants if they all grow...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Feb 20th - NOOOOOOOOOO FUCK

I was looking at the plant close today and I saw male pollen sacs. Fuck!!!!

I sunno what happen, they JUST showed up in the last day or so. I can only assume something happened :( i was opening the door during itsnight cycle so i think that maybe it... Fuck.

Is there anything i can do?

[​IMG]

15. Uh oh. I think you can remove them with wet paper towel if you catch them really early on but when one of mine hermied I just got it the fuck outta there.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

16. that is awful to see buddy, ive been following your journal over the last week, and only just finally got caught up.

Personally as much as this isnt the desired outcome, just remember that this plant gave you a lot of knowledge and experience that is invaluable, and you cant get from anywhere else, so even if she/he has to get cut down at this point, its not a total loss, because its already given you so much!

Keep an eye on it and be EXTREMELY careful if you try to pull it off. I dont know how viable the sacs would be at this point.

Im currently doing my first grow too, so its always sad to see another first timer run into problems like this :(

17. Its up to you and your resources. Do daily checks and keep plucking them off or start from scratch..and no more messing with there sleep!! Don't stress it too bad man. It happens and that's how we learn

18. Got yourself a transsexual there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

19. Feb 21st - A New Hope

After talking to my advisor on the situation I'm going to keep the plant going because right now I have just the one. It's currently in a 24 hour timeout from light. I guess that can help reset it to prevent more growth. I went over it with a pair of tweezers and plucked every piece of new growth flower growth that looked remotely male. Under a lot of the female flowers there was a single pre-flower which was more football shaped then pear. I also found a couple buried within the flowers themselves.

So I'll monitor it closely for now and see what happens. There's a chance this seed may have come from a hermi'd plant already because this was 1 seed in a mid level stash. By the time it will be ready to harvest I should have one of the clones to the point it can go in the flower room. I'll be extra careful this time about light stress... I had no idea.