What if we dont live in 3 dimensions, or 4 dimensions?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Yep, that's what leads me to believe reality is fundamentally quantized.

2. I think we live in my mind. Idk

Sent from my LGLS665 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. exactly

-Yuri

4. Essentially we all do live in your mind we are a function of your perception of energy, in reality an atom is almost all energy and that which keeps us from passing through solid objects is atomic energetic forces. So if we are all almost completely energy in nature it is your very own perception of that nature that occurs inside your mind / consciousness via your senses.

It is your senses that allow you to perceive the world / universe around you or in your sphere of sensation, I say sphere of sensation because what happens beyond the reach of your senses can be considered "Not really there until" you perceive it.
    It's not real in your mind until your brain can process sensory input.

Sound for example does not exist, pressure waves in air exist but not sound, it is that interpretation of that pressure wave that we call sound that is almost entirely energy, makes sense the bigger the ear the better the perception the bigger antenna the better the signal it can receive.

The entire universe is in your mind

5. Pi is an infinite number. That is why pi and the golden ratio have worked their way into philosophy and pseudoscience, because there is no final "answer" for them.

6. Pi very much relates to reality.. just because pi is infinite doesn't mean the resolution of reality is, but I will say that it is a possibility. We have no idea how far down the rabbit hole goes.

Here is the thing about circles though.. they exist just as much as any other shape. If a perfect circle doesn't exist, a perfect square or perfect triangle doesn't exist. What it is is that we can never get a perfect measurement of a circle. That circle that you are looking at.. it already exists, its not like you create it as you zoom in on it. Also, any circle you look at on a screen made of square pixels is obviously going to have jagged edges.. lol, but reality isn't through a pixelated screen. Anyway, due to the nature of pi, if we were to have a perfect circle.. we would never be able to get a perfect measurement of it. If we start with its diameter.. the measurement for its circumference will have infinite decimal places. Start with the circumference and the measurement for its diameter will have infinite decimal places.. but so what? I could pull the same philosophical BS with a square where you measured 90 degree angles and say that you didn't take it to enough decimal places and that one angle is 89.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 and another is 90.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.

To sum it up, pi is an infinite (irrational) number whose decimal places go on forever.. pi relates to reality.. there is such thing as a circle.. there can be perfect circles just as much as any other shape can be "perfect".. and a circle outside of a computer screen will not have jagged edges when zoomed in on.. lol, I mean.. come on, I hope that jagged edge thing was just a brain fart.

7. No it wasn't a 'brain fart' and you are as wrong now as you were last time we went through this, no point arguing again.

8. can you cite any precedent for perfect circles existing?

I've never seen one

-Yuri

9. Sorry champ.. but you are wrong. A circle outside of a computer screen will not have jagged edged because reality is not pixelated like a computer screen.

Anything you have to say about a perfect circle can be said about any other shape. And how do you know you've never seen one? Have you gone around and measured every single circle you've seen? Highly doubt it. A perfect circle can exist just like any other perfect shape can.. if a perfect circle can't exist, than no perfect shape can exist. What is imperfect is the measurement of the circle due to the nature of pi.

So tell me, did you measure every single circle you've come across?

10. How degrees i a circle?

I disagree with almost everything @manticore says, a computer screen is a interesting analogy but it proves nothing, the golden ration was not invented by mathematics, and mathematics was around long before humans were, and there is such thing as a perfect square a perfect square has to be a perfect square or the sum of it's corners would not divide equally into a 360 degree circle.

4 90 degree corners 4x90=270 2+7+0= 9

[​IMG]

11. But all you're doing with the 90 degrees is cutting them short. If you were to take them to 1,000 decimal places.. you'd see a change. If not, take it to 1,000,000 decimal places. You can say the same about a circle.. cause all a circle is is a center point were all the other points around it are the exact same distance away from the center, 360 degrees.

And nothing was invented by mathematicians.. it was all discovered or uncovered.

12. You do realize a whole number has an infinite decimal place of Zero right? Which means the sum of the decimal places is zero.

I will quote myself "mathematics was around long before humans were" I did not say Mathematicians invented anything.

A circle has an infinite amount of degrees, a square has four angles made up of 90 degrees, a circle has an infinite amount of degrees and and infinite quantity of angles. It would take an infinite amount of time and an infinite amount of energy to calculate it.
    Where as a square a triangle can be calculated for easily, there is nothing infinite about three 60 degree angles and nothing infinite about 90 degree angles. It is a mind trick that you have fell for.

You can divide 60 into 2 30's and 2 30's into 4 15's and so on but in the end the sum of all these divisions will equal the sum of the degrees in the angle multiplied by the number of angles.

13. What you fail to realize is that there is truly nothing that is perfect.. just the appearance of perfect. That's how it's always been, we see something and decide that it is perfect so we don't have to go further. On paper, you can cut the decimal place short with your 90 degrees and call it perfect.. but in reality, there will be slight variations. Since you cut your decimals short for a square, why can't you with a circle? Rather than infinitely trying to figure out the largest decimal place you can for a measurement of a circle.. why can't you do what you do with a square and reach a stopping point to call it perfect? Yes.. you can say that the number 90 has an infinite number of 0s, but due to the slight variations of reality, if you were truly trying to make the most accurate measurement, you would use many decimal places.. and if you did that, you'd see that all your 90 degrees and more like 89.999999999999999999999 and 90.00000000000000000000001 degrees. You don't even need to measure the degrees of a circle.. as all that goes into a circle is a center point where all the others points around it are equal distance. So if you have a circle and the radius of it is exactly the same all the way around, it is just as perfect as a square. It's pretty simple really.. if no perfect circle can exist.. no perfect shapes can exist. If other shapes can be perfect, so can a circle. It's just people try to work in pi and get themselves confused.. when all pi is is a ratio of 2 measurements.

14. Here are some others who have said what I said..
    https://www.researchgate.net/post/Do_perfect_shapes_exist_naturally_in_our_universe_Any_examples

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/44880/can-a-circle-truly-exist

"In the same sense as you think a circle is impossible, a square with truly perfect sides can never exist because the lines would have to have infinitesimal width, and we can never measure a perfect right angle, etc.

You say that you think a square is physically possible to represent with 4 points, though. In this case, a circle is possible - you only need one point and a defined length. Then all the points of that length from the initial point define the circle, whether we can accurately delineate them or not. In fact, in this sense, I think a circle is more naturally and precisely defined than a given polygon."

There is only the appearance of perfect in anything.. including shapes. If a circle cannot be perfect.. the no shape can. It's just that we ourselves dictate what is perfect.. and to me, if you are going to have the word perfect in your vocabulary, then a perfect circle can and does exist. It's just that due to pi, one of the measurements for the circumference or diameter will be an infinite number just like pi.

15. You suggest 90.0000000000000000000001 and 89.999999999999999999999999 what about 90.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to infinity? it does exist it is a whole number with no fractions, I am not missing anything.

16. If you're willing to sit there and infinitely come up with 0s.. then why are you not willing to sit there and infinitely come up with digits for pi? Pi may not be a whole number.. but it is a real number in mathematics, just as real as any whole, rational, or other irrational number. Point is, you're willing to cut the decimals short just so you can make sense of what you want to call perfect in a square.. but since you've been conditioned by society to believe there is no such thing as a perfect circle, you aren't willing to do that same for a circle.

17. Cutting the decimal places of 60.0... gives the exact same number, 60.

Cutting the decimals of pi gives an inexact approximation.

Fuck it I'm in! Bored anyway lol

18. Ya me to, we can sit here and try and explain it but it is just going to be infinitely difficult.

19. No matter what decimal place you cut pi at.. it will be an exact approximation of pi, because it is pi.

20. Lmao

ex·act

iɡˈzakt/

adjective

not approximated in any way; precise.