Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Don Hoots Recipes.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by DonHoot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. #1 DonHoot, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
    Hey everybody, I'm brand new here and this is my first post! Been lurking for a while and love what i see. I Wanted to start sharing my recipes and experiences with cooking with cannabis and hopefulluly get some feedback. Im going to get this started off with my chocolate bar recipe so here she goes.

DONS SIMPLE MILK CHOCOLATE

First we'll start this off with the supplies needed.

8 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips
    2 tbsp of cannabis butter
    2 tbsp cannabis sweetened condensed milk
    A little whole milk on hand just incase

So CANNABIS BUTTER, how do i personally make mine you ask? Well i use the very simple slow cooker method. I start by decarbing my cannabis at 240 degrees for 40 minutes giving it a mix every 10 minutes, i then add it to the melted butter in my slow cooker and keep on low for 24 hours. When 24 hours has passed i let it cool to the point where i can handle the butter and strain it through a cheese cloth squeezing as much cannabis butter out as possible. I store mine in half pint (1 cup) jars for ease of use later. I use a ratio of 2 ounces high quality sugar leaf/popcorn bud to 1 pound of butter. I estimate my butter to be approximately 170mg THC to the tablespoon assuming my sugar leaf/bud is sitting around 10% THC.

CANNABIS SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK; I start by putting a can of sweetened condensed milk in my double boiler and then add equal part water. The cans i buy are 300ml so i add 300ml of water to this, i then proceed to add 1 ounce of decarbed cannabis and cook low and slow for 1.5 to 2 hours until i have a nice color when the time is up i strain my milk mixture through cheese cloth squeezing out every last bit (if the milk gets too thick while cooking just add a bit more water and stir in) after all strained i return the mixture to my double boiler and condense it right back down to where it started (300ml). I estimate my milk to be sitting around 140mg THC per tablespoon.

NOW for the chocolate!Start by melting the 8 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips, add 2 tablespoon of your cannabis condensed milk and stir in, now add 2 table spoons of your cannabis butter and stir in, if your chocolate mixture gets too stiff add a little bit of whole milk to thin it out. Once chocolate is mixed well pour in molds of your choice. Each 8oz batch should contain about 620mg THC if my math isnt right off the wall.

Pictures to come.

Let me know what y'all think!

Don.

2. I will be adding recipes on a regular basis, please feel free to comment your opinion, i have a vast amount of experience in all edibles and im only now starting to share my recipes. Thanks for reading.

Don.

3. #3 DonHoot, Jan 11, 2016
    DONS SUPER SIMPLE CANNABIS PEANUT BUTTER HONEY SPREAD

This ones really simple and very good (if you dont mind the cannabis taste) here it goes.

Equal parts cannabis butter, peanut butter, and honey. Mix together well, put in jar and store in fridge. Use on toast filling in cannabis chocolate or whatever you like. If using good quality trim or pop corn bud at 1 ounce to the pound of butter you should expect about 28mg of THC per tablespoon of spread. If using high quality bud in your butter expect higher doses.
    Don.

4. WASHING YOUR BUTTER

This is for taking a bit of the weed flavor out of your butter and cleaning up the small bit of sedimemt you get at the bottom of your slow cooker butter.

First off start by making your butter in the slow cooker. I have tried both slow cooker and water + butter methods and slow cooker takes the cake on potency. I have theories why but im not going to get in to that.

Now... once you have your cannabutter strained and ready for use throw it in a pot or large enough container to hold it, and equal parts water. Add butter and then about equal parts water that is hot enough to keep butter melted for a bit, but not so hot you cant handle it. stir in butter until fully dissolved. Place your butter/water mixture in the fridge and let your butter rise to the top and solidify. Once it is cooled down and solidified take a butter knife cut around the edge of the container and carefully remove your butter from the water. Get as much water as possible off of your butter.

You will find your butter is now much cleaner looking and a little less "weedy" tasting.

This process can be repeated a few times to further clean your butter but i find after a few times the butter gets a little bit of a bad consistency. So i leave it at one cleaning.

5. #5 OneE, Jan 11, 2016
    I've been wondering about being able to remove the chlorophyll taste --- sounds like you've done it. I've always wondered why different techniques would call for water and some don't --- I know the water is there to keep the temp below boiling, but was wondering if helps or hurts when it is present during the simmering.

Please -- tell us your theory on why the crockpot is better - <del>and please tell if you decarb first or not.</del>..

Edit : just reread first post where you explain - thank you.

6. i always decarb my cannabis before making any edible extraction. I have done side by side tests with same product boiling water method and slow cooker method, slow cooker method yeilded alot more potent butter but also a stronger tasting butter, thats where i got the idea to mix the two methods and try a "wash" of my butter. It definitely made the butter noticeably cleaner and a bit smoother tasting.

7. I have to ask --- why 24 hours? and do you know what the temp is on low? IR thermometer?

I've been trying to reconcile all the different methods for making butter and oil and trying to figure out which parts are needed and which parts are urban legend.... People that don't decarb first typically 'crock' it for a loooong time - OK, but it still needs to be defined for time and temp (crock pot on hi or low doesn't cut it for me) If its decarbed first, it really shouldn't need that long of a simmer to extract into the butter/oil - 2-4 hours depending on temp. I have a small rectangular crock pot with a full range temp controller, so I HAVE to pick some temp range to work with. I have/had chosen to add water to my coconut oil just to bring the liquid volume up, and since I had already added water to the oil, I didn't feel bad a rinsing the material with hot (boiling water just starting to cool) while straining to try and get all the oil out of the material. It seemed to work well - and I'm fairly confident that I recovered most if not all of the oil.

Its really not that hard once you get important parts down.... but always looking to up the game when I can.

8. #8 DonHoot, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    Mine sits around 210 degrees on low, the only reason i let it go for 24 hours is because thats what ive always done no science to that just makes it simple for me so im not rushing anything. The way i look at it you cant go too long but you can go not long enough. I have tried 2 hours, 6 hours and 12 hours i wouldnt go 2 hours again but i didnt notice much of a difference between 6, 12, and 24. They all did the trick for me. I prefer to stick with 24 just because it makes it simple for me, set it and forget it. But i would say you could pull it off at 6 hours if need be.

9. Thanks for the info. Like i said, I'm just trying to figure out why there is such a wide variation in so many methods. I've been trying to figure out why BKS has multiple freeze-thaw-reheat cyles --- the only thing I can come up with is that her decarb cycle was pretty light to start with, so further heating is needed to get it up the conversion curve --- if you get the decarb right from the start, I don't think its really needed...