MMJ in NYS: 71 Patients Total Enrollment So Far

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by garrison68, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Well, we have medical marijuana in NYS, good luck in getting it. there's a total of 71 patients in the whole state (almost 20 million people) due to Gov. Cuomo's highly restrictive law.

Slow start: In all of New York, just 71 medical marijuana patients
    1/8/2016

By The Associated Press
    ALBANY, N.Y. - New York"s medical marijuana program has signed up 71 patients so far.
    The state"s Department of Health provided the number on Friday;the program launched on Thursday.

To receive marijuana, patients with certain qualifying conditions must get a certification from a physician registered with the state"s program. The patient must then apply for a state registry card.

The medication is available only in non-smokable form and can be obtained from a state-regulated dispensary.

Eight of 20 authorized dispensaries opened on Thursday. The others are expected to open by month"s end.

Some 174 doctors have registered with the program. State officials say they plan to share the list of participating physicians with health care providers throughout the state so they can refer patients.

More than 20 states now have medical marijuana programs.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/01/08/new-york-med...

2. Wow

But in reality I am not surprised, it is a good thing that they don't just hand them out but at the same time they refuse people who truly do need it. Idk about the states but I do know that in Canada you need a doctors recommendation. That being said since marijuana has always been illegal and studies are difficult to conduct the doctors(growing up with an anti-marijuana lifestyle) are the one who now all of the sudden need to say if this will benefit you or not. They are the ones responsible, pretty difficult when you are in a respectable field and need to make 'health' decisions towards your clients. Truly hard to say if marijuana will benefit one particular person over the other.

3. Currently a NYS card holder as of 3/16. $94 for a 250 vape cartridge at Viero. Way too much. If I could get it at west cost $30/$25 prices I'd be using way less pain medication. More importantly less suffering. NYS DOH needs to have the dispensaries lower the prices. They are are a classic monopolies. Open up the marketplace. Flowers can be vaped too.The cost must be lowered.

4. Same. Got my card and was completely disheartened after finding out the cost. Who can afford to medicate legally at the current NYS prices? And that's IF you can find a doctor who can help.

5. I received my card two days May 3rd and have my very first appt with a Vireo pharmacist tomorrow. I also had the choice to use this dispensary Etain Health – Highest Quality Medical Marijuana For Patients In New York because both dispensaries are 15 minutes away. First question I have is if this seems like a better dispensary than Vireo? To me they are all the same because they follow NY state guidelines. I want the dispensary with best quality products.

My biggest confusion is the THC content of Medical Cannabis versus bud you would purchase privately if you have that luxury. I suffer from severe chronic pain due to nerve damage in my back. I am currently on high does of oxycontin which I already told my pain Dr I want to be titrated off of if I get approved for medical marijuana which of course he loved to hear. The Dr that prescribed the Cannabis spent 10 years in CA before coming to NY and has helped hundreds if not thousands of people get off pain meds through using cannabis. The one thing she told me was I would need the highest THC content which is what she prescribes for people with my condition that causes severe chronic pain. It says on Vireo or the other website that the highest THC content is 19% for their red colored medicine. The bud available in my neck of the woods is super high test from CA. Bud like sour diesel and many strains of that caliber of weed which is the real deal. I read that this type of bud ranges from 17 to 21% THC. The main question that confuses the tar out of me is why the Dr said even though I am able to get the super strong bud, vaping oil is so much stronger yet it is only rated at 19%. So how can this be stronger than vaping bud? The other question which I will find out from pharmacist tomorrow is if the tincture is similiar to a body high from edibles which helps me so much with pain.

As far as prices, I never purchased oil or tinctures before and do not understand what to get and how much I will need. $94 I get but what is a 250 vape cartridge? If that means 250 hits, that doesn't sound like a lot of money because three vape hits of high quality bud does the trick everytime.

Can either one of you knowing I will be meeting with a pharmacist tomorrow to get a "professional recommendation" knowing they like to start off slow and raise the dosage which makes complete sense. But knowing I have a high tolerance, been toking for decades, and will be using cannabis as a replacement for pain management instead of oycontin as I slowly titrate off this poison, what is the realistic dose i would need and in what form. I know I will need the higher THC product (red color) so very curious what you think proper dosing is knowing I am not taking this as medical advise and will be seen by a professional tomorrow. Just want advise from people who get me, not a pharmacist.

Last question I have is it says on Vireo website to wait at least 3 hours after taking a tincture. I just read somewhere that tinctures hit you in just a few minutes. Which one is it? I realize everyone is different, but 3 hours versus 3 minutes makes no sense at all.

Thanks for the help and I will help anyway possible to help get the costs lowered by doing volunteer work as I am fully disabled and like to keep busy.

FYI....if you are disabled or a Vet, I believe that all the dispensaries give a 10% discount.

6. I'm not sure how the dosing will work for you, I went to Etain health and they gave me a general dosage idea but said that it was so specific to each person that I'd have to figure out what was best for my symptoms. For me, a 500 mg preloaded vape cartridge will last a week. Maaaaybe ten days but that's if I really conserve. I was told you get about 100-150 hits per cartridge and it takes me about 5-6 hits to get some relief. New York has a long, LONG way to go to make this program comparable to other states. I hope the improvements come sooner rather than later. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes! I'm always up for a drive to a different dispensary but I'm afraid that all of the NY options are going to be basically the same.

7. Cuomo is a dip shit Never going be a real thing in NY
    I use to live there Many moons ago