Sub-tropical hydro in summer without air con

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by The_Green_Goblin, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Lads and ladies of the hydro world,

I am turning from soil to hydro, and this will be my first time using hydro. I have experimented in the past but this will be the first time I will be looking at completing a full grow.

I have my tent, light, fans, seeds...

Tent is 90cmx50cmx160cm
    Light is Mars Hydro 700 (about to replaced with Amare Tech)
    stock standard 4 inch and carbon filter (will be upgraded in coming weeks to Hyperfan and Phresh filter
    Also using RO water as my water is around 200-300ppm out of the tap here..
    top line water and air pumps, as well.
    Not really wanting to cut any corners, as this is product testing for something I am creating for the cannabis industry. I need to know the system works, and works well.. So very keen for advice :)
    Have not worked out nutes yet - want something that is solid, organic and wont clog sprayers or give me slime in my res. Not keen on that. If it's not organic, as long as it's not chemically laden shit...

I only have a few little questions - regarding environment..

I live in a pretty warm climate. Aussie summers are NUTS. I can't keep any temp below 85-90 during the day, and around 78 at night.. Not the best for growing anything. My choice of medium is aeroponics due to this issue. I have read that the temps can rise a bit in the tent, but as long as the water spraying on the roots is ok, I have heard the plants will grow normally...

Is this true? I plan on getting as small aquarium water chiller as well for a 40-50L res. I am currently looking at the Platinium Aerostar 40 for my system of choice (modifying it for only 2 pots and better sprayers so I have have double air/water mix.

In theory, would this work? At the moment, I am looking at my hygrometer and it's 80.3 where I am siting, and 87 in the tent beside me. It's overcast and raining though. At midnight last night with awesome ventilation, circulation and open windows and doors...88 degrees. 76 ouitside it.

Is there anything I have to look out for when growing aero? Hints and tips? Even if it's simple shit... I may not know it, and your advice is always appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. #2 Dumme, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    I highly recommend bringing down the temp of the water, to keep the bugs down to a minimum, along with keeping the roots healthy. My water is about 58*F-60*F (15*C). Very happy plants.
    Another idea for you is ice blocks that normally go into coolers. Theyre great because you can re-freeze and small enough so you can add the amount to get the desired temp.
    Cheers

3. I'm going to purchase a really nice water cooler and a top of the line pump as well to help circulate. I do believe this will be the saving grace of the plants. But would you have any idea just how forgiving the plants would be in a room temp close to 85-90...if the water was at 58?

4. I think you'll be fine. Just bring the temp down slowly and watch the ladies close as they cope with the change.

5. I am seriously thinking about getting air con in the room in a few months. But you think the plants and leaves will be ok say at 90-92? If I have good air coming through and nice cool res?

6. It's hard to tell, not seeing your setup. I've run it in the low 90's and had good results. Definitely keep the air moving.

7. The space is 3x2x5, and will be running a 50L res and combo top feed/dwc. I am also in the process of purchasing a JBJ 1/15hp or 1/10 chiller as well.

Ventilation will be by the way of 6 inch adjustable speed Phresh hyper fan and 6 inch phat carbon filter. I will also have 4 intake ports fitted with darkroom light tight vents with 4 inch computer fans and a vortex fan on the side to vent heat. I will also be putting a vent/fan right next to the chiller to cool it while its operating.

The hyper fan is 315cfm. Reckon this would be ok for venting the heat!
    So good knowing I might be ok in this haha

8. There will also be a few ventilation holes/ports under the equipment which will be raised an inch to allow for more upward airflow through the plants from bottom to top.

9. Turned the gear on in the tent today (the gear I have) and temps reached 95.6 at 3pm. This is without the hydro system.

The temps seem pretty crazy, so wondering even if it was worth it in those temps, even with a chiller...

10. Way too hot for growing. Invest in an AC if you want to grow.

11. I've already put in requests for quotes on some energy efficient ducted air con as I have three rooms to do anyway. Just thought i might be able to get away with some sneaky grows before I did it by using a chiller. Fuck sub tropical summers lol

12. this will be the first time I use an actual rockwool prop kit. How long do they take in the dome to take root and be ready for transplant into the hydro system? Coz I'm gonna schedule the fuck out of this. I have 4 of the new transcend led t5 replacement strips so I may be able to ease the ladies into some summer growing without the need of insane LED light. Could buy me a week or two... Thoughts?

Running a Mars700 in the 0.9x0.5x1.6 tent.