Gun Rights vs Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Twistedd, Jan 5, 2016.

1. I never paid attention in school. Slept through most classes, got in trouble a lot, and I gained more knowledge from my public library than anything. I will stick up for a few teachers that did me well. I had 4 teachers in all my years of school (up until 7th grade) that really helped me out, both with dealing with general life shit, (bad environment at home, teachers treating me like shit at school) and those are the types of teachers the public system needs.

I'm not saying public schooling is the only way, but there is some good in it.

I would rather not have this be derailed into a public schooling debate though. I want to keep this within the confines of rights vs control debate.

2. Just as anything else, you must understand it's not a black and white issue. Hell, the whole racism problem isn't even a black and white issue. Everything is more complex than most people care to believe. We all have tendencies to turn them into such debates though. I myself aren't excluded from this.

3. The debate is over my friend

4. I didn't meant to make it so polarized. In general, I stand by what I said. Prisons corrupt more than they rehabilitate.

5. Just trying to police the conversation. We're all bound to go off topic a bit from time to time. Juts gotta remember it check so mods don't have to.

6. I was actually implying that schools are like prison but instead of criminals learning shit ways it's our youth. The reason you slept through most of public school is because it was public and very boring. a private school is catered more towards your wants and needs your desires. you'd be interested for the most part and you learn a lot more.
    Think of it like this. imagine education as a magazine rack when you go to the store you see all the different magazines you can choose from. now if government was in charge of making magazines there would be only a couple of them with short articles on every subject under the Sun nothing specialized this is our education system it's very broad and very useless
    And the opposite is true if the private sector controlled the schooling system there be a choice for everyone much like the magazine rack at the store

7. No I agree. They have bad records. But that "you must realize" wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but more so in general.

8. But to get it back on pointe the government controlling guns would turn out a lot like the government controlling education it would end the same shitty way

9. You obviously don't know the power of having Halo 2 with XBL and staying up until 4-5 AM only to wake up at 6 to catch the bus. My public school system, wasn't that bad actually. It's one of the better ones in the whole state. Very non-typical of what people think our systems are like in the South Eastern US.

10. Government needs to conyril video games too....wait they already do. There is a ongoing bet if yiu can find one thing not regulated by government you win 20g I think it was....no one has been able to win that 20

11. Fairly good video to watch.

12. Andromeda! Gimme my 20g

13. Air, water, rocks, trees, wildlife, imaginary "zones". Yup. All government regulated. Wish I could get one of those cushy jobs monitoring tadpole populations or something.

14. Was that 20,000 dollars or 20grams? Either way, better than nothing

15. "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” - Alexander Hamilton

16. Honestly my experience with public school is you get out about as much as you put into it. It's not as though a bright kid can't go through the public school system and be prepared for university/college. Same with the teachers in public schools, the standard is probably lower than private school but I've encountered many outstanding teachers in public high school.

17. Where I live 90% of the shootings and murders are committed with stolen or illegally obtained guns. They like that because after they whack somebody, they can throw the gun away and nobody will know. Perhaps that is the best way to go. Who gives a flying fork about the law anyways?

18. I am curious for some honest answers for those who support modest gun control/background checks or even strict control.

Have you ever compared the statistics of murders with firearms pre and post current background checks/restrictions? Or the ratio of legally obtained firearms compared to illegally obtained?

The argument always assumes more control = less murders, so there should be data available to support this claim, since gun control already exists in some states.

If the statistics are reliable, and murders have gone up, would you conclude gun control has been counter-productive and should be repealed? If the goal is actually saving lives, and you found out gun control was counter productive, would you change your tune?

If, on the other hand, murder with firearms has gone down, to what extent should firearms be further controlled, in other words, what is the targeted statistic? 0 murders? A certain percent per year?

Also, assuming the trend is that more control = less murder, there would still be a limit of effectiveness. There would come a point where black market would fill the gap to provide the firearms, and the more control leaves more profits for black markets.

Thanks!

19. Guns and weed and my two biggest money pits. Love my states gun laws, WY, and hate their MJ laws. It doesnt seem I can find a presidential candidate that represents both since Rand Paul dropped out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app