Homemade Cabinet 2nd Round

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Obamascookies, Jan 4, 2016.

1. How are they doin man?

2. Pretty good I'd say, just the leaves are curling under a bit? Not too sure why, soil is moist not wet nor dry so that kinda throws me off but nice and green and growing so just riding it out to see what happens!?

Sent from obamascookies iPhone

3. Was wondering if the cold could be causing that? When the lights are off for 6 hours the temp drops to about 68-70. The only real difference except the extra light from when I started the first round, not thinking it's the extra light.

4. Here's what they look like this am, growing nice just need to figure out the curling!? [​IMG]

5. Do you have your fans turned down low still... I know you had that problem before

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. add just enough water to moisten a chunk of the top layer to them, feel how heavy they are, then check them a few hours later, if they look better they might want a little more water. If nothing changes, I'd hold off another day before water again, it's possible the droop could just be aeration related, that's my problem with 3 of my plants

1453312108362.jpg

Check those out, the plant on left in the front has the container with the best aeration, the other 3 have had a lifetime droop.... Next round I should have that fixed.

7. Well I woke up to my damn exhaust disconnected!! I must've knocked it off this morning when I moved the cabinet :-( it was 93 degrees with 97% RH!!! So gotta fix that when home in the am!! But I don't think it's a airflow issue. I'm going to try to a little water and see how that goes I guess! Thanks for the concern & tips!!

8. Ok well a little bit of re-clamping and fixing but got the exhaust fan and ducting all sealed back up, no more 99%RH lol!!! Crazy that's what my meter said this am. But anyhow here's the plants under the flower light better for pics I just realized! They didn't like that heat wave yesterday I'm sure! [​IMG]

9. Seeing this pic makes me ask the question do those cups have drainage holes in them and if not I think you problem got solved

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Yeah same cups from the 1st run, plenty of holes! So a little unsure!? Tried tenshu's idea and gave them a little water but no change :-/ will have to just ride it out a little more.

11. Damn getting bummed these plants are hating it! The only thing I did different was use the same soil? So that now has me wondering if that somehow affecting them, I don't know how though, I rinsed it till the PH was good before planting. The cups were dry so i watered today and still drooping even starting to yellow leaves grrrrr!!!!

12. I think I will try to put more/bigger holes in the cups to see if that changes anything, running out of ideas!!

13. Also anyone have input on the intake? Debating on making the hole bigger(not sure how to though lol) OT adding another in hopes of helping out with temps?? Getting more cool air in I imagine would help? Gotta try to figure some things out especially wanting to run both lights full spectrum!

14. You gotta flush the soil then let it dry out and reflush multiple times if your not running organic. I have a few questions, is your outtake at the top of the box sucking the hot air out? Is you intake at the bottom of the box sucking cold air in? Dimensions of both holes?

15. i flushed the soil twice before reusing it. Yes the outtake is at the top, intake at the bottom. I won't lie I didn't do any math on intake/outtakes, so yeah the 2 in outtake and 1 1/2 intake sizes could be half the heat problem lol idk!? Anyhow I put more holes in the cups and raised the lights to see how the plants react to that!?

16. What fan are you using for outtake? How many cfm is it rated for? How many cubic feet are in your box? You should have a fan that can recirculate the air 5 times a minute. In my old box I had in the garage I had a 4" intake with 6" outtake. How far away is your light? And are you still running both switches on your seedlings? Bloom switch makes plant stretch more.

17. #57 Obamascookies, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    The exhaust fan is plenty cfms rated @ 235 it's a powerhouse I have to run it low! 13.5 cubic feet, the light WAS close @6in now they are both on veg(have been only running veg lights)@18in. I definitely need and will make another intake hole or make it bigger, next week though! If there plants don't turn around I'm going to start some more with new soil. Like I said that was really the only major starting difference! I was weary about it and now and wondering and thinking that may truly be the problem??? The only thing that makes sense??

18. Yeah definitely your issue you skimped on your holes. Make your exhaust hole as large as your fan is, (so 4" fan make that exhaust 4" as well and have your intake at least half the size of your exhaust. You should be able to feel air being sucked through the intake, if I hold a lighter next to my intake it will suck the flame in but not put he flame out. When you transplant to larger pots I would use new soil. I believe the platinum website says keep light at 24" for seedling, i have mine at 22" and they are around 2 weeks old. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1453831578.060735.jpg

19. The airflow is fine I can't feel it moving air in/out. I'm just thinking/wondering that I need another hole or larger to get more cooler air in with out having to move as much? Does that make sense lol!? Yeah I know what the website says, I just had them lower in hopes of less stretch. I will find out soon if that was part of the problem. As well as with the soil. Yeah when I transplant, if they make it that far I don't plan on using old soil, most definitely new!! And yours are looking good!!

20. Don't worry about the stretch right now, you can fix that when transplanting. Make your outtake the size of fan, make your intake 1/2-3/4 of the size of outtake. I just think your holes are to small which makes your fan work harder to pull less air. Just take a step back to the basics, learn what your doing, learn why your doing it, learn what will happen after doing it, and if you don't have a reason for doing it, DONT DO IT.