Blue cheese 400w 3rd grow. sub up and help me out

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Grumbledore, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Cheers for advice mate, i'll switch to 12/12 in the next day or 2. I'm working on some lst to really maximise the space and will trim a few fan leaves when flowering starts to clear some foliage.

I suppose I have a bit of time before the high humidity will become a real issue

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #22 Grumbledore, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    Swapped to 12 12 today. I'll carry on using the veg nutes for a week it so and then swap to flowering nutes. I expect it to take around 2 weeks for flowering to really kick in and then around 70 days from there so harvest end of april time ready to smoke on my birthday.

The coco plant is way behind the others, there's loads of reasons I can think for why its behind but I don't mind it growing slow as I'm leaving it to veg. If I use the coco plant for cuttings will the cuttings show the same slow growth pattern even when introduced to better conditions?

The lst has really opened up the branches (pics to come) and the cfls are doing a good job of lighting the whole tent better. Leaving the fan on at night for now to keep humidity down. The lekky bill is about £30 extra a month I think and its only a small grow. Might have to rethink the plan of turning the whole house into one massive ganja farm

At this point I'm desperate for any suggestions for getting the best quality bud possible? What can I do during flowering to make it more potent? Taste better? Smell better?

3. For the coco plant question, do other plants of the same strain grow faster when in other/better conditions? My guess would be yes it should take off if in better conditions. My hydro plants have always grown more vigorous than my soil plants, same strain.

If you are planning on using the whole house as a ganja farm, then you obviously arent just growing for personal smoke, which in that case, if you're doing it right, you will get your money back tenfold when harvest comes. Whats an extra $100-200 in bills if your harvest brings in thousands and thousands of dollars? It is the necessary operating costs!

Best quality bud is going to LARGELY depend on the strain you are running, and obviously also will somewhat depend on you giving a good environment. That said, you wont make a sub-par strain all of a sudden more dank by, adding in those extra watts, or using that additive everyones talking about. It really depends on the strain. I will post a comparison pic of my Grapegod compared to my Afghani. Theyre both at exact same stage of flower. The grapegod already has noticably more trichomes, only entering the 3rd week of flower now, yet they are both in the SAME conditions. On another note regarding taste, people have argued that hydro and soil results taste better. Personally i have tried both and dont see any reason to prefer one or other based on taste. I would recommend soil for simplicity and hydro for results.

I hope this helps in some way.

Grapegod
    [​IMG]
    Afghani
    [​IMG]

4. Thank you mate, that's a really helpful reply. I had a feeling the cuttings would grow more vigorously when put in better conditions.

I don't wanna turn the house into a farm to sell my bud. I just wanna walk through my front door and see nothing but green lol.

You're grapegod plant looks nice n frosty already and I'm guessing you've still got a while left to flower. That shits gonna be good. Hopefully these big Buddha seeds have as good genetics too.

5. Found another 400w hps bulb and ballast so I've now got 2 400w hps in there along with 2 125w cfl's. the extra light threw off the temp and humidity and now I'm fighting to get the temp down and humidity up whereas it was the other way round before I added the lights. I swear the hardest thing is getting the best conditions for growth.

Anyway I'm switching to flowering nutes today in the wilma system and I'm leaving the coco plant to veg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454945283.105364.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454945203.784350.jpg

6. Noticed a few pistils developing today so I'm calling it DAY 1 OF FLOWERING. I think it's a 70 day flower so should be harvesting on 25th April

Full strength flowering nutes in there. The soup EC is 2.2.

7. Popped a few cuttings in rock wool today. I've tried 3 cuttings all from one branch so I've got a cutting from the tip, a nodal cutting and internodal too. Not using any hormone so dunno what's gonna happen. I've tried these types of cutting at uni with a different plant and had exactly 100% fail with different hormone concentrations so can't do any worse with MJ.

8. Looking good, happy and healthy! How are you going about trimming and training/have you stripped the lowest inside nodes that would only produce popcorn in the long run? I've been learning lately that you can make trimming easier and increase yield by trimming nodes off the plant.

9. #31 Grumbledore, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    I'm not too sure what to trim if I'm honest. It looks like a lot of the leaves are needed but I hadn't considered trimming nodes. That feels counter productive but you think I can increase yield by doing it? I have to admit there is a few nodes that are never gonna get great light. Are they the ones to chop off?

10. Good luck. I should be finishing about the same time as you. From my log. Will be nice to see your results.

11. #34 Grumbledore, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
    Expanding the grow I set up a space under my stairs for a mother, cloning and eventually vegging. It's 2m x 0.6m x 1m sloping at about 1.2m. I just lined it with Mylar and some black and white on the base. Just got 2 125w cfls in there right now but I have another with reflector to add to it

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456244987.883576.jpg

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456403282.910282.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456403344.931516.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456403374.260203.jpg

Few pics. I didn't do a good job of keeping the canopy even and because some plants have stretched more than others it's looking really untidy and I don't really know if I can lst at this stage. I'm giving the plants a lil mid flower 2 day flush using ph'd water just to remove salt buildups and generally wash the system and pebbles a little. You can see a pic(the best i could get with my crappy camera) of how the flowers and pistils are looking and they're all over the 4 plants

Temps at night about 19 and day is 29. at night humidity is about 65 dropping throughout the day to around 40% by the time lights go on

13. Keeping a level canopy is very important to take advantage of the light......tie unto itself and do your best to get it under control, and you will be a happy camper, if not, you will never know what you lost. I hope this helps

14. The veg area all set up ready to go

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456596656.807116.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456596669.008365.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456596684.004978.jpg

15. Mid flower flush finished I topped the tank back up with nute squash and did some tidying up of dead leaves an moved some of the taller braches outward so the canopy is lowest right under the lights and tallest at the aides where it is cooler and a less light intense.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456667089.604116.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456667112.004776.jpg

16. Finally some roots from a couple of the older cuttings they took about 2 n half weeks ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456931823.488553.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1456931837.302882.jpg

17. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1457209453.697533.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1457209476.668344.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1457209494.043222.jpg

Feels like some slow progress. The tallest branches are about 3 foot tall now and they just keep growing.