In the kitchen with Doin

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by doinYoda, Dec 26, 2015.

1. #42 doinYoda, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    LOL Stiggy! [​IMG]

We were out of sour cream and ran out of minced garlic a few days ago. Since I needed to get both of those taken care of, I took some pics to share with all of you.

Sour cream
    1/4 cup cultured buttermilk to
    1 cup heavy cream (pasteurized is fine, but you don't want ultra-pasteurized)

A jar with a tight fitting lid, large enough to hold & mix the ingredients.
    A kitchen towel to cover the jar
    Takes 24 to 48 hours depending on the temps & humidity in your kitchen. Warmer temps = faster culture time.

Pour the heavy cream into the jar, then add the buttermilk.
    sour cream 1.jpg
    (I made about a quart this time around, 3 cups heavy cream & 3/4 cup buttermilk)

Mix well with a stainless steel spoon (there should be some bubbles on the surface)
    sour cream 2.jpg

Cover with kitchen towel (no lid), and put in a warm spot on the kitchen counter, out of direct light.
    sour cream 3.jpg

Check it after 24 hours, if it's not ready, give it another 12 hours and check again. When it's ready, it'll be thick enough that you can tip the jar without it spilling or moving much.

In the winter it takes right around 36 hours for the sour cream to culture in my kitchen, temp averages 65 to 70f.
    This is what it looks like when it's ready to be stirred and put in the fridge. You can skim the top, or just stir it in, up to you.
    sour cream 4.jpg
    sour cream 5.jpg

Put the lid on the jar and stick it in the fridge to chill. Once chilled, a spoon will stand up in the middle of the sour cream.
    sour cream 6.jpg

When you get a spoonful of sour cream, it should be mounded up on the spoon like this.
    sour cream 7.jpg

Keeps 7 to 10 days in the fridge.

Up next, minced garlic....stay tuned...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Minced garlic
    2 c garlic cloves, peeled, root ends removed
    3/4 c filtered water
    1/2 t citric acid
    pint jar and lid to store the minced garlic in
    minced garlic 1.jpg

I don't think that I have to tell you what a PITA it is to peel garlic, especially when you're peeling a LOT of it at one time. Here's a nifty trick to help you get through the whole garlic peeling process very quickly -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

Thoroughly mix the citric acid with filtered water and set aside.

Once the garlic is peeled and root ends removed, pop the cloves into food processor.
    minced garlic 2.jpg

Pulse, until the garlic is minced. If you're using a mini food processor like I did, you'll have to do this in 2 batches.
    Put the minced garlic into the jar and pack it down with a rubber spatula, or spoon.
    minced garlic 3.jpg

Once all of the minced garlic is in the jar, slowly add the water mixture while working the spatula around the jar. Use all of the water mixture. Don't worry, all of it will fit in the jar, promise!
    minced garlic 4.jpg

Wipe off the jar, put the lid on, label, and refrigerate.
    minced garlic 5.jpg

A pint of minced garlic lasts us 2 to 3 weeks, depending on how much / what we're cooking. This is one thing that we have never purchased from the store. We have only been using 'this' minced garlic for the past few months. It's handy when you're really busy, but I do prefer mincing garlic right before use.

I believe that I saw the 'recipe' for DIY minced garlic on Noreen's kitchen (not positive).

Sometime in the next few days I'll get the stuff together to post homemade tomato soup. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm a tomato soup addict...especially this time of year. Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sammich make my day.

Watching for your recipe...[​IMG]

4. Grilled cheese and tomato soup...YUM for sure!

What kind of tomato soup is your favorite? :)

5. I hate to admit that it comes in a can....Campbells

My wife loves to make all sorts of soups and one pot dinners, but she's not too hip on single ingredient dishes....

6. ‘Simple" Roasted Tomato Soup - makes about 4 pints
    For every 5 lbs of paste tomatoes (San Marzano, Roma, etc...) you need:
    2 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
    2 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1 medium yellow onion, quartered, skins & root ends removed.
    3 shallots, cut in half, skins & root ends removed
    4 cloves garlic, smashed, skins & root ends removed
    1 bay leaf
    Salt & freshly crackedPepper to taste
    Olive oil, enough to coat the baking sheets, plus a little more to drizzle over the tomatoes
    2 large baking sheets with rim, lined with foil and lightly coated with oil (I use olive oil).Food millA pot large enough to hold all of the ingredients.

Preheat oven to 400f.

Clean all of your veggies well, you can soak them in a sink full of cold water with vinegar (1/4c vinegar per gallon of water) for 30 minutes, before scrubbing and rinse them well. The vinegar will NOT affect the taste of your veggies. [​IMG]
    tom soup 1.jpg tom soup 2.jpg

While you"re waiting for the oven to come up to temp, start coring and cutting the tomatoes in half. Line them up in a single layer on baking sheets. Cut up the celery, carrots, onion, shallot, and smash the garlic, put them on top of one of the trays of tomatoes, or you can put them on the bottom of the tray. Drizzle olive oil across the top of the tomatoes and pop the trays into the oven.
    tomato soup 7.jpg

Roast at 400f 45 minutes to 1 hour. The tomatoes are ready to come out of the oven when the skins are just starting to brown in spots.

Pour all of the roasted tomato & veggie goodness into a pot large enough to hold it with a few inches of headspace at the top of the pot. Add the bay leaf. Bring it up to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once simmering reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir frequently. Let cool long enough that you can touch it without burning yourself when you put everything through the food mill.
    tom soup 3.jpg

Once cool enough to handle, put all of it through the food mill to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp.
    tom soup 4.jpg

Pour the pulp back into a large pot and bring back to a simmer over low heat, stir frequently once it starts simmering. tom soup 5.jpg

Add Salt and Pepper to taste (I usually add 1T of kosher salt and 1-1/2 t pepper, and adjust it from there). Simmer to desired consistency.

A few things to note:
    - You may need to add a little sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but if the carrots are really sweet you probably won"t need to add any sugar, IMO
    - Roasting the tomatoes and other veggies greatly reduces the amount of time that the soup needs to simmer on the stove to reach desired consistency. The depth of flavor that it adds to the soup is a definite bonus.
    - You do NOT have to roast the tomatoes or veggies, you can just simmer everything on top of the stove instead.
    - You can absolutely add herbs to this soup. We prefer the basic recipe.
    - You can use any kind of tomato that you desire. You"re not limited to paste tomatoes. It takes a lot longer to cook down slicing tomatoes, salad tomatoes, etc...they have a much higher water content than paste tomatoes do.

Soup ready for the pantry, after a pressure canning session (processed in a pressure canner 30 minutes @ 10lbs of pressure for my altitude).
    tomato soup 6.jpg

This soup is fantastic with a little heavy cream stirred into your bowl, and a grilled cheese sandwich to go with. [​IMG] Not sayin", just sayin". [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks, doin...I'm gonna try this out...Campbell's be damned....

8. Cool! Let us know what you think of this soup after you have tried it, jmick. :)
    I'll go out on a limb and say that you won't buy campbell's tomato soup again. :laughing:

9. Making me hungry today!

10. Dang Now Im hungry too
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Absolutely love this thread.

I can tell breakfast/lunch/dinners at your house is warm and inviting. Making me really jealous I don't have grandparents like you guys.

Definitely going to try the Asiago Garlic Alfredo. And would love to get more recipes and tips on homemade cooking

12. Make anything lately doinYoda?

13. Hey LW :wave:

I have, but I haven't had a chance to get a post together. On top of being really busy lately, I had computer issues and lost access to a lot of my pics. Hopefully I'll to be able to retrieve all of my pics soon. *kicks computer* I'll be redoing a couple of the projects that I was working on for this thread. One of them is Vanilla extract, it should be finished at the end of this week. :yummy:

Have you made anything lately?
    You're welcome to share here, if you would like to. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. No doubt. I have been busy as well, so I cooked a bunch of chicken breasts that I could use in different dishes throughout the week. I should have taken a few pictures. I made some really good quesadillas, and bbq chicken sandwiches. Sweet, looking forward to the vanilla extract post!

15. I admitted how much i like bacon so ill come clean on the sour cream :p :laughing:
    i am a huge fan of sour cream, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, there was only 1 brand left that realy tasted good.
    But ill say once she made it fresh like that there is no other way to appreciate it. the taste and texture are perfect.

and yeah... Im prety lucky; i eat well, :smoke: :)

16. Made some queso and quesadillas for dinner tonight. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1

17. YUM!!!! :yummy: Did you make chicken quesadillas?

Now, I'm hungry! LOL

18. #59 Leonard_Washington, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    Yes! I made them twice this week lol. Quesadillas are awesome! Didn't let me quote for some reason

19. If they tasted anywhere near as good as they look, I can definitely understand why you had them twice this week!

Are you using the app?