2kW RDWC - 6x Incredible Bulk - Time Lapse

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Ganja Geek, Dec 25, 2015.

1. #1 Ganja Geek, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Starting off this journal 4 weeks after germination started. The strain is Dr. Krippling's Incredible Bulk, under 2x 1,000W MH Blue in a 150-gallon RDWC system (my first).

I encountered some problems with the time lapse software at the very beginning and ended up losing the initial footage of the seedling popping out and growing its first tier, but this picks up just a few days after they popped up.

(really late) UPDATE: Here is the full time-lapse, sped up a little compared to the first one.

Germinated 10 seeds with a moist paper towel in a warmed Tupperware container for a day and a half. Placed 6 seeds in rockwool cubes, and 2 in soil. Rockwool cubes were dusted with mycorrhizae and soaked in (if I remember correctly) 250 or 300 ppm of Clonex at 5.8ph prior to seeding. The rockwood cubes were watered by flood tray every 3 hours, just water to begin with. Using a 1,000W Blue for my seedlings, just dialed down. I just sat my flood-tray on my RDWC system.
    floodtray.jpg
    I have CO2 dispersed along the edges of my lights for 15 min every hour that the lights are on. My reservoir sits outside of the grow room, along with my time lapse recording laptop and other unorganized electrical.
    control-center.jpg

2. Day 30 of veg, will be setting up the scrog net and starting flowering tomorrow or the day after. Here are some updates as far as size goes. I've one plant with 20 colas and a fairly even canopy. I'm purposefully trying to keep the nodes toward the center slightly shorter than those on the outside, so its more of a ravine shape than a flat plane. I'll have the updated time lapse here in the next few days. Shows low stress training and monster cropping, meanwhile;

View attachment 163278 View attachment 163279
    View attachment 163283
    View attachment 163282
    View attachment 163281
    View attachment 163280

• Like Like x 1
    • 24 hours of darkness has just finished
    • Switched to 12-12 schedule
    • HPS bulbs swapped in
    • Scrog net set up
    • Signs of deficiencies shown (calcium & sulfur I assumed) primarily in one plant (not shown) and lightly across others. Signs of deficiencies ceased after thes 3 changes, 3-4 days later.<ul><li>Increased to 700ppm nutrients
    • Increased PH from 5.8 to 6.2 temporarily
    • Added 2 table spoons of epsom salt to the reservoir
    </li></ul>

Day 1 of flower [crossing my fingers, that they don't get TOO tall]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the sub Guru, nice CBD setup can't wait to see how it turns out!

Plants were getting extremely bushy so I trimmed them up a little more today. Not only have they come through the net, but they're pushing it upward a good bit, feisty genetics. Its very difficult to get to the plants at the back of the room to trim though, I hope that doesn't present any problems. Pistils are shooting out now, another 6 weeks to go! Here are the ladies.
    View attachment 163463
    View attachment 163467
    View attachment 163466
    View attachment 163468
    View attachment 163465
    View attachment 163464

4. Just realized I might have had a bit of a light leak, going to do my best to fix that when the lights come on in 2 hours. Hopefully this doesnt slow down my flowering process, but good that it didnt happen right in the middle/end of flowering.

5. Trimmed about 2-3 pounds of fan leaves and the lowest remaining nodes that crowded other colas, while they're still stretching. Updated the time lapse, and sped it up considerably.. Not sure why I rendered the first two at a rate that they were difficult to watch all the way through.

These things are SUCKING up water and nutrients. I have to refill my 150 gallon system every 2-3 days, and the roots have filled almost the entire system, all the way back into my reservoir, which is outside the box. Thank god I went with 3 inch PVC. If youre going to do RDWC I would suggest 2 inch as a minimum, however this is my first RDWC setup.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cool videos man, I also like the way you setup your bins with the inspection door :) you should kill it in the setup.

7. #10 Ganja Geek, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Though in retrospect I think I rendered the first two time lapses at way too slow of a pace [​IMG]

It took a good 7-8 hours to cut the holes in the lids of the buckets, attach the door and wrap the buckets in the reflective insulation; but it was well worth it. I used the 27 gal HDX bins from home depot (These), and they're made of really thick and sturdy plastic which made cutting difficult even with a dremel.

I was really worried about root problems/clogs, and wanted to be able to work with the roots. But the whole system is SO full of roots that I cant reach the back flow to pull the roots out, now they've grown all the way out of my box and back into the reservoir haha.

For my first DWC, and second grow total, I think its going pretty well. The anxiety of waiting to see how much I yield is KILLING me though. I really need to make some money at this point, after all that I've dumped into it, and the $400 electric bill each month. Being excited and anxious is a weird combination of feelings to experience simultaneously for extended periods of time.

8. Looking good man just subbed can't wait to see the finish

Sent from my E6653 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Looking good man. You gonna chop any of that undergrowth off

Sent from my E6653 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I tried stripping the bottom half of the plant during veg, and once again a week into flowering while they were still stretching. I probably should have removed the bottom 3/4 in retrospect. I'd think its too late now to go chopping off lower nodes though, inst it? I also made the mistake of not leaving space on the back side of the plants, because its almost impossible to get to in order to trim and tuck leafs. I hope they're not too cluttered, but we'll see.

Im going to have to get a dehumidifier today, the plants are respirating so much water that its keeping the box at 85% humidity, and I'd like to keep it closer to 65-70% for most of flowering. Two of the walls are along the outside walls of the house in the basement, and its causing a lot of condensation on the two walls. This increases the plants ability to uptake CO2, but also increases its vulnerability to mold and mildew.. So I have a UV air purifier running in there constantly, and I periodically spray the floors around the plants with peroxide. *fingers crossed*

11. nice journal. i'm subbing up to see how it turns out. the time lapses are quality btw. . did u just use yoiur scrog net for support or do u train your plants to it?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh no.. my root systems have clogged the 3" PVC back flow. My reservoir is near empty (where my feed pump pulls from) and my buckets are nearly full. I tried a couple of weeks ago to reach the PVC pipe to pull some roots out, but the mass was so big that I couldn't even reach it. I'm not sure what to do. They're getting bulky and sticky, and I really don't want to cut the roots at this particular moment. But the effects of the clog are already showing, a couple fan leaves are showing deficiencies. I'll have an update on that soon.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I had it grow into the scrog net more so for support, I had trained them primarily by FIMing and using soft tie to pull lower branches outward. In retrospect I didnt do a good job of documenting that part, and will have to get some pictures when I charge my camera. Though these branches are very thick and sturdy, I knew I couldn't get int there to tie colas to the ceiling.

13. If things are clogged due to the roots I would trim the roots a bit to allow water movement. It's that or have plant die due to lack of watering. It appears that you will need to make some adjustments before next run.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Most definitely, I think I have it figured out though. Instead of an under current, I'm thinking of reversing it. I'll have some illustrations in another thread soon. I was able to pull the roots out and flip them around so they'll be less likely to get sucked back into the PVC. Water is flowing freely again, and tomorrow I'm going to drain the system and refill it with fresh water. Leave it like that for a half a day, drain and refill again then add my nutrients. I might even use a flushing agent to break up nutrient salts to increase the plants ability to uptake nutrients.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Day 32 of Flowering. There are a few fan leaves that I cant reach that showed signs of deficiencies (from the clog thats now solved) but it will take a few days to ensure no more signs of deficiencies emerge. These trunks are getting thick, and so are some of the colas!

View attachment 163721 View attachment 163720 View attachment 163724 View attachment 163725 View attachment 163726 View attachment 163727 View attachment 163728 View attachment 163723 View attachment 163722

Very stress relieving beneath the canopy haha

View attachment 163729

16. That is looking nice and bushy. Do you bother to defoliate at this point or just let it grow free

I've had good results in the past removing fan leaves blocking light from reaching bud sites

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum