[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens discussion

Discussion in 'Movies' started by *guest, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Well, Kylo Ren is still battling within himself between the Dark and the Light... and he hadn't seen his father in awhile and didn't know how him and Leia felt about him anymore... so naturally that was very emotional...

Remember even Darth Vader turned good in the end... and Anakin was a giant baby too...

But me and some friends were talking about how understandable it is that Anakin turned to the Dark Side...

He was born a bastard.
    His mother got murdered.
    Even Yoda didn't like him.
    He got seduced by Padme which kinda makes her a pedophile.
    His best friend cut his hand off.
    His kids got taken from him.
    And he got framed for the murder of his wife.

I'd be pretty pissed too lolz

2. Man thats all I was thinking about watching the movie! I cant believe she is only 23.

3. Keep in mind he was directly shot with chewbacas blaster which they made a big deal of being very powerful a couple times in the movie. You can see he is bleeding before the fight which clearly means he's supposed to be injured already so I don't think he was at 100 percent. Also I think the big thing is he wasn't properly trained by a sith master or at least some one as powerful as Vader and he's not as strong as previous siths in the series. I could be wrong just my .02 based on watching the movies.

4. yeah I thought Hans son was too weak too, losing to an untrained fighter...

And lord, when Luke walker showed up at the end, he looked like Anthony Hopkins younger mentally ill brother. I laughed while everyone else whooped n cheered.

5. Really enjoyed it. Many people have said it's "A New Hope" rehash with the Death Star and all that (plus the environments -- dry city), but J.J. Abrams had to play it safe and not fuck it up like the prequels tried to do. I enjoyed the humor -- the prequels missed that. BB-8 was great, Kylo Ren is a great villain because he hasn't even fully utilized his dark powers yet, Rey is a good female hero, Finn's story still has a lot to be discovered, Maz Kanata I believe used to know Yoda, etc etc.

Han had to die, and it had to be at the hands of his own son. When Chewy got sad, so did most of the theater. Han is just one of the most famous movie characters of all time, really. I wonder how much Luke got paid for that one stare.........

6. I'm just gonna leave this here...

Attached Files:

7. My lady is a big fan, so we went and saw it today. I have never seen any other Star Wars movies besides this one.

I enjoyed it. In fact, makes me want to go back and watch all the others.

8. Spot on.

9. I liked it but I felt like it could've been a lot better. It was definitely a lot better than the prequels but still not close to the level of the original trilogy.

What I would've liked to see is a little bit more set up. It felt like the battle at the end took place before we got to get situated with what was going on in the galaxy, and also some of the characters could've been developed a bit more.

They really should've explained that they were going to fire the cannon and destroy those planets before it happened. That whole sequence felt like it was rushed and should've been given more time because of the gravity of what was happening. And why didn't it need to drain a sun the first time they fired it?

Kylo Ren came off as a teenager going through mood swings at times. He might get better in the next two movies but he is right that he'll never be on the same level as Darth Vader.

Also, they completely recycled the plot of Episode IV.

Still a good movie, hoping they can make a great one next time. If the hyperdrive starts malfunctioning in the falcon and Finn gets frozen in Carbonite then I'm going to lose my shit. Keep the core formula the same, come up with a new story. Is that too much to ask?

10. And just for the hell of it:

V > IV > VI > VII > III > I > II

and

Vader > the Emperor > Darth Maul > Kylo Ren > Vader in III (pre-suit) > Count Dooku

11. #33 King Willie, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
    Can't wait to see how Kylo Ren reacts when he finds out Vader embraced the light in the end. THINK YOU'RE CONFLICTED NOW?! Huehuehue. And we clearly did not see him at full power in that fight, so it'll be awesome to see that in later movies too. And Captain Phasma.

Really need to see it again though, to let it all sink in. This time, not on LSD.

12. I went and saw The Force Awakens for a second time today and was glad I did. Started to get bogged down by the people complaining about the plot and style elements that were borrowed from the original film(s) and wanted to see if it held up with all those opinions in the back of my mind.

Got nicely baked and picked a 2:45 showing on a Monday, so the theater only had about fifteen people in it. Saw a white-haired old lady a few rows up and that made me smile; she probably just wanted to see what all the hype was about. Had my cup of Mello-Yello Grape and I was ready to go.

It was nice to be able to pay attention to smaller things because I wasn't worried about missing plot details. Kylo Ren and all the stormtroopers are great, I think I just love the voices when they have their masks on. The sequence where Finn gets freaked out during the massacre on Jakku was still sick. He's got the bloody handprint on his mask and he and Kylo Ren have that moment where they look at each other. Then later when someone, maybe Hux, tells him that a stormtrooper helped Poe escape, he just says, "FN-2187."

It was cool that he froze the blast from Poe's gun. The sequence where the gun on the Millennium Falcon is stuck and Finn can't maneuver it is great when Rey just kind of floats the Falcon upside-down in just the right way so that Finn has a perfect shot at the TIE fighter.

The humorous lines didn't seem as out of place during this viewing. There was a large crowd the first time I saw it and everyone would laugh at the one-liners, ("I really like this thing," Han Solo says of Chewbacca's laser crossbow). I want a lot more Captain Phasma in the next movie and I want the actress to change her vocal delivery a bit. What's cool about the characters with helmets is that their voices sound robotic, but still have a natural speaking cadence, but Gwendoline Christie (Phasma) delivers her lines like she's. Talking. Like. A. Robot. It's a cool character and I hope they give her a lot more to do next time around.

Thinking about all the complaints that Rey is a "Mary Sue" character who can do no wrong, I was watching her more closely this time around. First off, she does screw up when she blows the fuses and lets the monsters out of their holding cells on Han Solo's new ship. But I came to the conclusion that she might be a Mary Sue character, but I'm totally fine with it. One thing that made me laugh the first time around and had a new significance this time was when Finn and Rey had just shaken off the TIE fighters and escaped Jakku. They meet up and they're enthusiastically complimenting each other on their driving/shooting and they're giddy with adrenaline. Later on, maybe during the battle on Takodana, I think Han Solo mentions something about her being really good with a blaster or something. The writers recognized that she was making progress pretty damn quick, but you don't have much of a movie if she and Finn fail during most of their missions or adventures.

I'm like 75% convinced that Rey is going to wind up being Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter or great granddaughter. First off, it gives a great explanation for how she has such a strong connection to The Force. Second, when she discovers the lightsaber in Maz Kanata's basement, it's said that it called out to her. Maz mentions that it was Luke Skywalkers, and his father's before him. Doesn't it stand to reason that it may have once been Obi-Wan's that he passed down to his pupil (Vader)? Obviously this wasn't a scene in the prequels, but it's a convenient way to explain how it drew in Rey. Also, as many articles have noted, they took a snippet of Alec Guinness' voice saying "afraid" and trimmed it down to where it sounded like "Rey" and they inserted it in the soundtrack when she's checking out the lightsaber. Seems like a lot of effort to make that happen if it didn't have some kind of significance.

Also, Kylo Ren and Rey definitely have something deeper going on. I hope it doesn't fly in the face of my Obi-Wan Kenobi prediction above and they turn out to be twins separated at birth. But when some hapless minion of the First Order informs Kylo Ren that the droid escaped with the help of FN-2187 and a girl, Ren pulls him across the room with The Force and chokes him, saying, "What girl?!" I forget if the guy says anything, but I don't think he does. Then later when Kylo Ren encounters Rey in the forest outside of Maz Kanata's, he greets her, "The girl I've heard so much about." But he supposedly hasn't heard anything about her except that she exists. I think he knows who she is and possibly her parentage, even though she didn't know Ren's connection to Han Solo at the time.

Another thing that might relate to the two above speculations is that when Maz Kanata asks Han Solo who the girl is, they immediately cut to another scene. If Rey is a stranger to Han Solo, then he would just be reiterating what we, the audience, just watched for forty minutes. However, if Han knows more than he is letting on, it's a convenient way of cutting away so as not to spill the beans about some big revelation further down the line.

I'll stop here, and good work if you got this far. Loved it even more the second time around. Strongly considering seeing it again when I have a couple days off near the end of the month.

13. Rey= Luke and Leia love child, thats why its all on the down low plus she has 2x force powers.

14. But...why the British accent unless she was the offspring of Obi-Wan? Hm? Hmmmmmmmmm? [​IMG]

15. Planet jakku is the space england.

16. I think everything is pointing to Rey being Luke's daughter. We'll have to wait and see but that looks like what they're leading us to at this point.

17. I saw it last night in 4DX and thought it was awesome!! Best one in recent years anyway :) Going back in a couple of weeks to watch a normal screening.

I can totally see why a few people have moaned about the plot but I went in kinda expecting another JarJar Binks or something so was pleasantly surprised!

I found the new characters likeable and was stoked there was so much Chewy in it, that noise cracks me up every time!! Plus Rey is FIT, think I have a new crush.... [​IMG]

18. Great movie.

Preferred it over the other Star Wars.