low grade seeds need odor control?

Discussion in 'Security' started by gardeningheaven, Dec 18, 2015.

1. #1 gardeningheaven, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
    does mexican weed have funky smell during flower ?i was wondering because i want a big ass plant but my odor filter old i hate that charcoal getting everywhere .i might need to DIY filter that sucks im lazy for that i old style carbon filters they called air filters .hard for air to escape will a micro tomato cover smell? i dont just want a small dro plant i can have my room smell but not like weed

unsure what i want to do

2. Aside from using a carbon scrubber with an exhaust fan to an outside area, the only thing you can really do is select a strain with low odor. Since that is outside of your control though, I'd expect any cannabis plant from bagseed to have odor during flower. But you could be lucky and have a low odor plant - there's really no way to tell unless you bought the seed, which is a select phenotype which exhibited low odor characteristics while retaining a desirable high (easier said than done)

The key is keep the grow area under a negative pressure by exhausting only, or exhausting at higher cfm than the intake. That way the smell will only go where you direct it, instead of permeating through any imperfections in your grow area.

3. thats also another idea i had was to pheno hunt for low odor but exactly as you said easier said than done . i got one tiny cotton candy og sprouted today my friend wanted my other seedling no growing ass lol .i will continue to keep this plant as a good mother depend on odor og always stink right?

4. #4 falcon10911, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
    As mothers they actually may not have excessive odor, only if you are abrasive with it (take cuttins, bend branches ect)

If going into flower, always assume it will smell, not sure about OGs. But since growing conditions also influence terpene profile, it makes it even more difficult to say whether or not a strain is really low odor in my opinion.

If you can get your hands on a 100 - 200 cfm fan + carbon filter combo ($150ish) and a length of 4" flex duct ($10 - $50) the peace of mind you will get is well worth the effort.

Then if you find a pheno the exhibits any of the desirable qualities you want (odor, taste, effects) you can really have fun with it knowing the smell is only travelling a few feet.