Makeup, Beauty, Skincare

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by Madeenz, Dec 13, 2015.

1. I would recommend Aveeno, it's quite expensive which sucks but it's great, it's made with oats I think, it's also known to all but cure skin disorders like eczema, but it's just a commercial moisturiser. I use the body wash, it's all very natural I like it.

I get it discounted I wish I could hook you up, I would totes send you over a load of products but the weight would totally negate the point of trying to get it cheap :laughing: I also get clean and clear stuff discounted, god damn heavy ass creams and shit.

2. Yeah that's one of the reasons I didn't buy Aveeno because it's commercial and I wasn't sure if it would work for my skin. But I'll definitely buy a bottle and check it out.

3. Good let me know!

I also wear rubber gloves all the time but I just hate stuff touching my hands :D when you're washing the dishes and a wee bit of food gets on your hands ewwww makes my skin crawl!!!!
    If any of you have any nail tips to make them stronger that would be awesome. I've got flakey nails so they're always pretty much short. My stepdaughter is totally into doing nails, and we got her a uv lamp so she can start doing gel nails, so I should be OK by then, but I'd love naturally strong nails :(
    Oh and my number 1 polish is anything by OPI

4. I have been using the same mascara! I really like it :) one of my all time favorites is the Maybelline Colossal, and it's cheap!

For eyeliner I tried to buy the Maybellin lash stilleto and it sucked! The only one I've ever used has been Kat von D liquid eyeliner, it's pricey but one bottle lasted me a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Any recommendations for a drug store one? L'oreal maybe? I know Lancome is owned by L'oreal so I tend to really like their makeup because it has the same ingredients as a lot of Lancome's products.

I was using the ELF eye lash curler and it worked but I kinda want a new one lol idk which one to get though. Been dying to get a Beauty Blender but I hear the "IT Real Cosmetics" has a really good dupe of it for $6 (compared to spending $20+ for one BB)

Also looking to eventually get the Too Faced Cocoa Countour kit, I've never really tried contouring much but it looks interesting lol.

Koochie: I've tried the Aveeno skin relief 24 hr moisturizing lotion, no idea what the price is but it did hydrate really well. I don't have dry skin though, but when I ran out of moisturizer I used the Aveeno instead lol. For dry skin I'd get some sort of body butter. Those tend to be for really dry skin and should keep you nice and soft all day. :)

5. #truth

Attached Files:

6. I'm currently using some eyeliner by Stila that my makeup junkie friend recommended but I'll probably go back to my fave Loreal one! It's amazing!!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1451148385.860282.jpg

7. For stronger nails in a few weeks, I recommend taking Biotin supplements! They'll make your hair grow faster and shinier as well! They're pretty cheap and you'll notice a difference within a few weeks!

8. Thanks Madz got a years supply in my Amazon basket will buy it next payday! That will help with my hair too, fingers crossed!
    I started using a shampoo/conditioner called Nioxin a couple months ago it's supposed to promote hair growth but my hair is too long to see results so I stopped that.
    Got crimpers for Christmas, they're my new go-to for big hair :D
    Also...

Attached Files:

9. Free Koochie Kooz, making sure that you get enough water is essential for alleviating dry skin, so are omega 3's & 6's, etc.... Use mild soaps / cleansers (avoid antibacterial, it's very drying) and try to stay away from scented products that go directly on your skin. Limit showers to 10 minutes tops most of the time, keep the water warm, not hot. Apply moisturizer while your skin is still damp after drying off. I'm a big fan of body butters and oils for moisturizing. Extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, etc...A milk bath is good for dry skin, if you're not allergic to milk. Aloe gel is very good for dry skin too, it can be used from head to toe. Moisturize from the outside in, and the inside out is my motto.

I make my skin care products - cleansing oil, toner / astringent, moisturizer, eye serum, face masks, scrubs, body butter, etc.... (You can find recipes all over the net) I'm a big fan of oil cleansing, it's like getting a spa treatment twice a day! It leaves your face / skin clean, soft & doesn't strip it of natural oils like other products do that lead to dryness, excessive oily skin or other issues. It is the BEST makeup remover that I have ever used, by far. Waterproof mascara wipes right off, and it doesn't leave makeup residue on your skin like other cleansers do.

My favorite 'day' moisturizer is Tamanu oil, it only takes a couple minutes to absorb into your skin. Sometimes I'll use Argan oil, but find myself reaching for Tamanu oil more often than not. If I feel like my face is starting to get dry (very rarely), I'll use Emu oil at night, but for the most part I stick to Tamanu oil.

Another thing that I have noticed since I started using cleansing oil and other homemade skincare products is makeup goes on flawlessly, and you end up using a lot less foundation, cover up, etc...

10. @Floozy, my mom has the strongest natural nails I know. I asked her what she uses and she said Nail Hardener nail polish. And biotin definitely helps like Madeenz mentioned. My hair is the thickest it's ever been and I genetically come from thin haired people lol

@royk and Doin, I forgot about body butters! I used to buy them from Bath & Body works but I stopped because like Doin mentioned, the scents dry my skin out sometimes. So I'll look into making my own products. I found this website called Mountain Rose Herbs and it looks to have all the ingredients and it's natural.

So I was at my aunts house the other day (being nosey in her room) and saw her Aveenos body wash and lotion. So I washed my hands with it (petty right?) And put the lotion on, gurrrllllllssss my hands was sooooo brown and less crocodile skin looking, I started doing extra hand movements so people could ask me about them lol definitely picking some up this Friday.

Thanks for the tips you guys

In a few days I'm going to paint my nails, will posy pictures so you girls can help me pick out the right colors

11. I love Mountain Rose Herbs. They have great customer service IME, and I have been really happy with everything that I have ordered from them.

12. Have ypu ever used such cosmetics like here? With that our make up could be outstanding right?

13. For Christmas, I bought my boyfriend's mom an at home gel nail kit.

So we tried this thing out the other day....and all I can say is wow. I cannot believe I used to pay like $25+ and tip to go get this shit done at a salon. It honestly looks just as good!

I bought her a kit that included the lamp and special polishes from a brand called Gelish on Amazon. They're apparently a salon brand.

It's been 5 days and they look like the day I put them on. Best of all, my nails show no sign of chipping or anything like that! I'm deff gonna get one of these for myself lol. I mean for 80 bucks, it pretty much pays for itself after a few uses versus going to the salon.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452442208.622598.jpg

14. I recently heard a podcast that explained where lipstick originated. In ancient Egypt, the whores that specialized in oral sex used lipstick to advertise their specialty.
    Now every time I see a pretty woman with lipstick, I have impure thoughts! [​IMG]

15. thank you.
    🌱

16. I did the same! Well, I got that kit for my stepdaughter. Excellent move, free nailz fo lyf :D

Plus, I managed to get really long nails with them, they've since chipped but I can grow them again thanks to this
    And like you said, it's basically free compared to paying to have them done.

17. Shit I hit the jackpot! My best friend in Michigan sent me a package! You think she's trying to tell me to take care of myself? can't wait to use the clairsonic and color!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452643943.913351.jpg

18. So I got the aveeno lotion and body wash and yass, bih, yasss

Finally I have healthy looking knees and elbows lol won't have a chance to buy from Mountain Rose Herbs this month but it's already in my planner for February. Just can't decide whether I'm going to start with shampoo or lotions.

Oh and I broke my nail trying to break up a fight on NYE so now I have to spend 4+ months getting it back to 3+ inches long

And I can't find pastel/muted color nail polish for shit anywhere around me. So which brands do you guys use? I know nothing other than Sally Henson lol

19. #39 Skadi_, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
    Koochie, for some reason I'm unable to quote your post.
    If you're looking to moisturize your body (legs, arms, etc) have you ever tried plain coconut oil? It's what I use on my legs when they're reaalllyyyy dry. It sits a little greasy at first, but after a little while you don't notice it anymore and I don't need to reapply unless I take a shower. It also barely smells like anything. I've used olive oil, flaxseed oil, and almond oil before too, but I find all 3 to be heavier than coconut oil.

I suffered from pretty severe eczema for a long time. Mostly on my hands and arms, but the last two years I started getting it on my neck and face too, when I finally went to see a dermatologist. He gave me a cream and a pomade that cleared it up, but I have to keep using them at least once a week to keep it from coming back. In the meantime, the coconut oil keeps my skin moist enough to prevent the eczema. I also through trial and error determined that eggs and egg products were a big factor.

Also wtf, 3 inch natural nails? thats crazy. how do you do that? what do you do for work?
    Check out Essie nail polishes, I feel like I often see a lot of muted pastels from them. Or even OPI. Do you have an Ulta where you live? The one where I used to live had a HUGE nail polish selection.

20. #40 SirInfi, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
    my mom owned a skincare business and she had our family only rinse our face with warm water daily and soap every other day, in small quantities.
    Her customers she'd tell them to wash with soap daily, because it messes up you skin and sells product. All cosmetic corporations do this.
    In reality, your face produces oil that protect your skin from uv and grime.
    She also did eyelash extensions, which cost upwards of $300, it'll last 6 months or so.
    They will look entirely real and uneven, unlike the cheap glue on type you find at the glittery girl store.
    only professional women buy these, like celebrities singers dancer etc.