HPS vs High Powered LED on Canna nutes using Humboldts Secret product called Golden Tree instead of Boost and Rhizotonic.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Tiggersmokes, Dec 4, 2015.

1. #61 Tiggersmokes, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
    Trimming time!!!

Tigger Smokes!

2. Updates on weights coming soon!!! Looking fantastic so far!!!

Tigger Smokes!

3. Both tents exceeded expectations...still sorting final numbers. Update with final tally later today. Looking like it will be right close to 3 lbs per room. Before final weights come out, I wanna say thanks to Jacob at Heaven Bright for a great light. And thanks to Humboldts Secret for Golden Tree. And lastly, thanks to all who followed along!

Tigger Smokes!

4. #64 Hybridway, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
    Nice! Question. Do you feel that if there were more plants in the room that there would've been more of a difference? For instance I'm about to run 2 plants under a single 500 watt led light against another with the same set-up. Normally I would only use one of those lights for 1 plant but if I do that, each plant may max out & I won't see the difference in the lights ability to yield more then the other. So by running 2 plants I'll probobly get 12 oz. less then normal total, but it's the only way for me to find out if one light can out perform the other. Get what I mean? So, do you think you had exactly the right amount to max out the plants more or less or did you think you had a little lee-way to gain more on one side or the other. is there any color difference? Usually is right? Any noticeable Trichrome differences? Good job! I think those HB are great white light LEDS offering more YPF then the RQE Mars lights. Just thought the LED side might yield more. But not from experience as I've been growing good with HPS & Floro Side-lighting. I thought that from what I hear about LED. Ya know, same yield with a 1/3 less energy used. But you went watt for watt. Dead equal, & a good job at it as well. LMK, your opinions on those questions? Thanks!

5. Delays, delays, delays....hard sometimes when your job demands long hours. Here is the breakdown and my final analysis/opinion of both the LED's and Humboldts Secret product Golden Tree. First off, the lights are awesome...and I mean that. I had a few nugs that were larger out of the hps tent which were the closest to the light source...but overall yield wise, the led room came out on top. Not only that, but the nugs seemed denser. Hard to tell for the novice grower on that, but myself and others picked up on it. I will post the yield numbers by plant beginning with hps grams then led grams later tonight as I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment. Overall, I'd say it's almost a 5% to 7% difference in yield and that was removing equally sized larf or tiny crap from the bottoms to be used later for hash, edibles, etc. I came out with almost 12 ounces of that and an equal amount of trim after all ten plants came down. I can see getting more yield with more work on the scrog side of things, and I'm working on that. There's always room for improvement. The other part of the test was using Golden Tree instead of Boost and Rhizotonic. I love my Canna products as I've always enjoyed the results. With that being said, Golden Tree in my opinion definitely held its own and I feel surpassed my results using Boost etc... I saw the greatest difference in smell and taste. More intense smells and taste was noticeably increased as well. On yield the difference didn't stand out until my number were tallied...I would say there was honestly no more than 10% difference but I have to attribute other factors in that were different from previous grows not using Golden Tree. So in retrospect I'd say yield increases of 10% are not unreasonable to see or ask of this product. Cost comparison hasn't been completed but I will get that tonight as well as it is easy to figure out. Overall I am super stoked about this product and will be using it further! And as for the led cob lighting...I see definite mega potential in its use and application. ROV with these LEDs for me I am figuring to be in the 1 year range to 1 1/2 year range. Either way I really like them a lot and the plants really flourished. I will still grow under hps as I plan on mixing things up with hps and led together and a higher power setup of led's for flowering. Lots of work, and lots of fun. Thanks to all who have been following along. I will probably be wrapping up this journal with another entry then any questions answered if asked. Thanks much and smoke on my friends!

Tigger Smokes!

6. Afternoon bud...first response is if there were more plants would it have changed things. In my own experience it's always about how much canopy and penetration I can get into it. I grow more SCROG like with LST bending and such. Strain, veg time, stretch, so many variables, lol. From this grow what I did was try to make both tents equal at the onset of flowering. All plants same age, 5 different strains, one of each variety in each tent. I let the plants veg an additional 10 or 14 days or something under the new lights in each tent...plants were all in a single tent to start, then divied up. Every led plant out yielded the hps counterpart, not by leaps and bounds, but it was apparent after all was tallied. I do see more trichomes on the led side I feel. Taste and smell were also more pronounced out of the led room as well.

Tigger Smokes!

7. And also, the room is cooler on the led side with equal fans running. Have to run a seperate inline fan to cool the hps. I think my cooling bill would drop as well...hard to tell until I shut the hps side down for a couple runs. Color differences were not as drastic as I'd thought it would be. On my Hindu Kush I saw more purplish on the hps side, but better hues on the Blue Blood on the led side. A lot of that would come down to personal preferences I think.

Tigger Smokes!

8. Numbers...HPS side first followed by led number.

Blue Blood: 182 gr, and 217 gr., Critical Kush: 168 gr., and 189 gr., Hindu Kush: 196 gr., and 231 gr. (biggest surprise) LA Cheese: 203 gr., and 217 gr., Blue Dream: 147 gr., and 154 gr.. Hps total 896 gr., LED total 1008 gr. All totals were rounded to the nearest quarter ounce.

Tigger Smokes!

9. This is great man! Thank you so much for sharing this information. Definitely going to invest in some decent COBs for my next light.

10. I appreciate you sharing this info. as well. My lights came in & are finally hung. Im doing a thread on the SunCloak Vertical light, called O.C. GG#4 in the SunCloak 4416. It oughta be interesting. It's new to the MKT & not many poeple have seen this before. I invite you TiggerSmoke & all who wanna see to come by. Also got 2 COB lights doing a side by side with the other 6 OCGG's in a trellis but that will be in a separate thread if I have the time. Never realized how much work one thread could be Even know not many have visited it yet.
    This was a good thread TiggerSmoke! Poeple need to see the LED & the HPS to know the difference. Good Job!