best time to start the seeds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Tim Dog, Feb 21, 2007.

1. from greenmans' site:
    10 Biggest Mistakes Growers Make....

8. Don't Start Too Early Inside or Outdoors

For several reasons! If you are starting outdoors June 1 is perfect.

But if I start earlier I will get bigger buds right?

Probably Wrong!
    Its strange but usually true. ill explain. Plants started in early spring will get big but they will take significantly longer to start flowering. This is because at the peak vegetative period they sense the light cycles getting longer and longer, until June 21. But they don't realize that its time to flower yet. Finally in the middle of August the plant says "HEY" "time to flower already" and it produces buds in August and September or later they will be tall as trees but thinner buds due to the fact that the sun is not as strong in September. Now if the ganja plants were put out later, as soon as they get a foot off the ground they say "what's going on" I am just in early veggie and the light hours aren't getting longer in fact SHORTER" Then the plants go crazy and since the sun is so bright in July and August you get amazing 6 foot trees that are heavier than the plants started in April!!! in addition to finishing earlier the late started plants are not nearly as noticeable.

huh :confused:
    what's the truth? :smoking:

2. Interesting, someone please back this up i would like to know more on this...

3. It doesn't sound like a very reliable method to me.. I guess everything that I read says "the earlier - the better".

In the same time, I will grow my plants on a remote location with no water sources around
    and if someone could back this up, it means that I'll carry the tubes with water along the steep slope two months less! :eek:

So, please, we need someone experienced to say his opinion.

4. well i am anything but an expert but here is my opinion:
    If you are trying to bring in larger yeilds by using methods such as LST (low-stress training) such as i do then you would want to start earlier. When you bend a plant completely on its side you set it back a little and it has to regain its stalky position for aquiring sunlight and once it reaches this position you bend it down again, an so on an so forth until you wrap your plant around your pot. Doing this takes some time, so i usually start ealier just to make sure that my LSTed plants are up to par once the right time of the season rolls around.

but like i said im no expert so please dont take my advice seriously unless someone with more experiences sais so

5. What grreenman is saying is that a plant can be force flowered before the natural 12/12 light sched (I think it's called photoperiod) just by starting veg stage at peak photoperiod (15/9). I read you can artificially shorten photoperiod using covers or shade to force flower. But, thats not what we are talking about here.

So the question is does flowering require 12/12 photoperiod or just a prolonged decrease in photoperiod relative to length of veg??????

6. nope that first post is bullshit theres so many strains that flower early due to genetics that would totally contradict that newb thought, basically all that statement said was smaller plants sense the decreased light cycle faster, thats stupid its totally dependant on genetics every strain regardless of height will vary during flowering period. it's not like larger plants 'wake up' in the middle of flowering season because they've become somehow accustomed to the vegetation hours. they sense daylight changes as they happen by the minute, also he mentions 6 ft height growth because 'the sun is so bright in august', yet it's in flowering season an the main point is bud growth

personally i plant mine in april, may/june are my key veg months, july is flowering but they will continue height, august should be getting into budding, september/october harvest depending on sativa/indica or genetics

in the natural environment marijuana requires a flowering photoperiod from june 21 through october at a daylight decreasing rate of a few minutes each day,

force flowering early with 12/12 is possible but as soon as you stop the everyday routine of covering/uncovering then there will be a fluctuation in daylight hours due to the natural environment and may slow flowering down until it matches normal hours, force flowering outdoors is a big issue and for the amount of work it would require i say fuck it all, just buy some early flowering strains like early-girl or mighty-mite

if anyones worried about late fllowering with mold development due to colder temps/higher relative humidity then just feed 10-30-15 right when flowering begins to promote quick cycle change and to focus all the female plants energy on bud development, normally it takes a few weeks for plants to adjust and start budding, also as daylight hours continue to decrease bud production continues to increase faster

7. bump - good information

8. Id have to agree with your points over those in the first post. Im by no means an experienced grower, just gettin into it actually. But it seems just based on facts of the plant that it would not become confused as to its place in its grow cycle. The hormones released that cause budding are due to the 12/12 photoperiod being reached. unless your talking about the ruderalis mixed strains which my understanding is, grow by a time based cycle rather then a photoperiod based cycle. But those dont create substancial levels of thc and are not usually used recreationally. unless the mix is mostly indica or sativa which they would still exhibit some photoperiod traits

9. Wanna know a secret to all cannabis grow outdoor, I started growing in a greenhouse in October, green house is to get by the cold winter and wind and rain, when its mid spring in beginning of April I take out the greenhouse and open them up, yea they already budding but it the reveg I wanted, in April they already 4 ft tall , now they kept growing up to 15ft high in October ,lets nature do the magic you do the watering haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. #11 Perpetual Burn, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    I've heard from a couple good sources that you plant on the last Full Moon in May... which this year is May 21st...

Not sure why tho... if it has to do with moon light... maybe moon light being full means the plants get the most light which indoor growers have learned is generally acceptable... then it dwindles down slowly but the plants don't get bothered as it wanes...

I've also generally gathered that you basically do it asap based on when you know the plants won't get stressed or killed by frost or feeezing... so the sooner the better...

I've also heard just wait till the summer solstice or maybe June 15th... but it seems many people are up and growing before that...

I dunno... this is my first year outdoors so I'm gonna go with what the fellow grower on my property and my friend who used to work for a very successful grower both said... "the last Full Moon in May." May 21st 2017... NorCal FTIW.

Personally I am opposed to transplanting so I'm sure such timing is greatly affected by whether or not you're pre-vegging indoors...

And if you're pre-vegging your seeds then you've got whole other dynamics regarding timing... maybe like the last poster said, October lolz

But to support the OP and my anti-transplant thing... my grow partner said he once put a 2 foot teen and an 8" clone in right next to each other to start the season... the little one grew up bigger and healthier than the teen... We assume due to the stress the teen experienced from the transplant adjustment... this is something I've come to learn indoors as I've adopted the no-till technique where I put clones in their final pots day one.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
    whose mind is stayed on thee."
    -Isaiah

11. 420

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk