First car

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by mehmeister, Nov 19, 2015.

1. So that's it i'm finally gonna buy my first car , of course my budget is pretty tigth since i'm only 19 with a part time job so i shopped around and settled on buying an old toyota tercel for the winter . i can get one with around 200 000 km for a relatively cheap price . thing is , i really dont know much about cars . so do you have any advices on what is should look out for and thing that should raise a red flag when buying an used automobile ? Thanks

2. Any fluid leaks or a rusted out underside are the first things I look for. You gotta test drive it for sure, dont be scared to dog it a little and see if it overheats or acts up. I'm sure theres a lot more to check but I'm no mechanic and this has served me well for two cars.

3. Oh yeah my brother has an early 90s tercel that has an oil leak and bad brakes. and still drives pretty decent and its got 200,000+ miles

4. Those things are fairly bullet proof make sure tranny shifts ok doesn't slip no knock or misfire from engine and everything above poster said

5. yeah i figured out any kind of leak was bad already :p but thanks for the tip , i won't go too easy on it during the test drive , that migth be a little hard to do though , i'm used to driving like a grandma lol

6. & yeah i heard these cars are pretty much indestructible , that's what got me interested in buying one in the first place lol , and since they are pretty much everywhere i guess parts for repairing it are pretty cheap too