Trying a Sativa run with Vertical LED Blades

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tommie Trichrome, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Hey All,
    Starting up a new grow journal using vertical Led blades. This is another 4x4' tent grow with a 9 plant allot LED system, However this time I am using Sativas. This particular tent is a Blue Dream and Sour Diesel run and I have another grow journal that I will be posting as it develops. The other tent is also a sativa run however the strain is Gorilla Glue. All the genetics are DarkHeart and i'm using a sun-hut fortress tent, with advanced nutrients, and a Suncloak Vertical Blade LED system, with a hydroton and coco/soil mix medium.
    going to be posting pictures as the journal develops and hopefully will be optimizing my yield and space by trying sativas this run.

Here is my setup so far. The clones have been under t5s for a week and a half since first I first transplanted them from rockwool in ½ gal. containers and now I just transplanted them from those to 7 gal. containers. (Their final container)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (have a oscillating fan to strengthen them up)
    [​IMG]
    (Sour Diesel on the left)
    [​IMG]
    (Blue Dream on the right)
    [​IMG]
    (pic. of all the plants in the tent)

So in this journal what's different is I'm running sativas and running larger containers. I went from 5 gal pots to 7 gal. and hopefully this with my LED setup will optimize my yields.

Stay posted if interested. I will be updating this forum in real time. If you have any questions, comments or advice I'm eager to chat.

2. Super nice!! Do the vertical LED's perform as well as hanging them overhead? I hate having to deal with lights hanging above my head when I'm in there trying to work. We usually run 16-20 with each cycle and I can't tell you how many times I've cracked my noggin trying to get in there and work. LOL Hope to add some LED's to the mix after the first of the year and I really like the look of these. What does a system like that run if you don't mind my asking? Good luck with them. I definitely along for the ride. TWW

3. lol, I havent hit my head yet, but I definitely have when I ran 1000 watters overhead. A cool thing about this system is that i can have these lights a lot lower in the tent. so the top of the 48" blades i'm using for this sativa run are right under my chest. that is after raising them enough to be flush at the bottom with the tops of the containers. so unlike a HPS where its overhead because of the 12-18" space needed above the canopy for heat, these blades are in between each side of the plant and can touch the LEDs. So basically the whole top of your tent is empty from the top of the system up (besides the ratchet hangers) and the LED system is under your face so no hitting your head...I know they just lowered the prices, so I don't know where the price stands now for this 4x4' 9 plant System.

Thanks for the support, I will keep the updates coming with pictures so you can see the results..

4. I will post some pictures monday, but I can't even believe how fast these ladies are growing. easily a inch a day tall and wide...The transplant to 7gal pots really is giving these ladies room to grow. I'm using a mix of advanced nutes/ calMag/ molasses, superthrive and some micro's. I'm also starting with a good, prewashed coco/soil medium, so i think by the time i post these next pictures, they will significantly bigger and you all can judge for yourselves. Any of you LED growers out there what's your experience with LED yields? and how do you do your LED setups?

5. Grow journal update
    Beginning of week 2 of Sativa run in the LED System
    Had these plants under the LED system about a week now and there is some good growth and branching going on. The internodes are growing as sativas do and i can easily see these girls doubling in size when its time to flip.
    I really haven't been feeding them too much because there is a lot of good nitrogen already in the soil, however I have feed them a little superthrive here and there. Going to gradually start feeding them with there A&B grow formula this week and probably have them in veg 2-2 1/2 weeks more before I make the flip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Also if anyone is interested I am starting another 9 plant sativa grow. This grow will be shot with a time lapse camera for the entirety of the grow and the video will be posted to a new thread. The strain in this grow is Gorilla Glue and it will be starting in the next 2 weeks. The clones are already getting rooted at the moment.

Also..Im going to post the final bagged dried weight from my first grow journal using the SC LED system in a 4x4 tent and I must say it was a lot more weight then I am use to for A+ Grape Ape...

7. I'm here for this grow too. Good job on the first one. Can't wait to see the dry weight results. I'm real impressed with the break-Down of how many watts is used for each plant on the SunCloak web-site. Especially with the growth you get. I'm seriously considering a 24" on center set up for my new LED room going up soon.

8. Very cool and interesting Subbed.

Curious though, Isn't that too small of a space for 9 plants? Wouldn't it cause issues if they get big?

9. well I have the dried weight and I will update it right after this post. I appreciate the support btw.

This is the end of week 3, ill say 3 1/2 weeks cause it was kind of in between the week. I just switched to flowering on 11/28/15. One of my blue dreams is just running for the ceiling and all the SD's are about the same height. So to accommodate the stretch these sativas will give me, I figured it was a good time to flip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the blue dream that's running in the right back)

Since its winter, I've had to runner the lights at night and the heater a little bit when the lights are off, just cause the room wants to stay in the lower 60s without light/heater. Besides that I've had about the same low energy consumption. Had these plants vegging for a little over a month total, since I have them under t5's for a couple weeks to get a strong root system and gain some foliage before moving them to the Vertical LED system.

haven't had to feed them too much, I feed them maybe 3 times total in veg. I feed them some rooting hormones and superthrive as small clones and again when i transplanted them, and then I fed them a weak diluted amount of sensi grow a couple weeks ago. I only feed them 2 times with a less diluted mix of veg nutrients. IMO the organic soil right out the bag has enough nitrogen and other trace nutes to get your plant most of the way through veg. I mixed ocean forrest with coco..

Will keeps the updates coming, since I just flipped to flowering a couple days ago, we should be seeing some rapid changes in the weeks to come. hopefully just a little over 2 months to chop. (maybe to anxious for sativas)

What are some of the flowering times you all have had with Blue Dream and Sour Deisel?

10. So here are the results from the first grow journal I posted growing Grape Ape in a 4x4 lighthouse tent, in FF ocean forrest, superthrive, Sensi grow + Bloom, Moab, Molasses with Suncloak 32" vertical LED (9 plant) System.

Plant 1- Grams:84 Ounces:2.96 Lbs:0.19
    Plant 2- Grams:105 Ounces:3.70 Lbs:0.23
    Plant 3- Grams:97.6 Ounces:3.44 Lbs:0.22
    Plant 4- Grams:84 Ounces:2.96 Lbs:0.19
    Plant 5- Grams:113 Ounces:3.99 Lbs:0.25
    Plant 6- Grams:88 Ounces:3.10 Lbs:0.19
    Plant 7- Grams:84.5 Ounces:2.98 Lbs:0.19
    Plant 8- Grams:91 Ounces:3.21 Lbs:0.20
    Plant 9- Grams:86 Ounces:3.03 Lbs:0.19
    Total- Grams:833.1 Ounces:29.4 Lbs:1.84
    Total Averages (per plant)- Grams:92.6 Ounces:3.3 Lbs:0.20

4x4 table- Grams: 833.1, Ounces: 29.39, Lbs: 1.84
    4x8 table- Grams: 1666.20, Ounces: 58.77, Lbs: 3.67

Grams Per Sq Ft: 52.07
    Oz Per Sq Ft: 1.84
    Lbs Per Sq Ft: 0.11

Watts Per Gram: 1.0
    Watts per Oz: 27.2
    Watts per Lb: 435.6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Also I am sending this in today to get Lab testing done to get some more analytic results. I will be posting the results as well as the picture of the lab printout by the end of the week. I'm excited to see if the lab results match the top-shelf aesthetics and smell this yield has offered. Usually grape ape is a low yielder, so if i get high result percentages to match the aesthetics and higher then average yield, then I would be a wrap for HIDs. it would be LEDs all the way.

12. TT,
    Damn bud! Killer job you did as well as those lights. That is one hell of a yeild. I get 8 lbs. consistently from a 10'x8' space using 6,600watts of HPS. divide that by 4=2 lbs. from aprox. a 4.5'x4.5' area. Don't forget the + 1,650watts of AC & Fans/Duct. = 8,250 watts / 4 = 2062.5watts for my 4.5'x4.5' space to yeild 2 lbs. off nice yielding strains with a solid 2 month veg. Time, topping & LST. Healthy the whole way too.
    So, needless to say TT, you killed it with those lights. Especially growing Grape-Ape. Very small yielder compared to the strains I grow now. Tried it once. I figured it would strive with vertical lighting. Im running Original BlueBerry right now & it loves to beef up on the lower branches with the slightest light. not all strains react this way but all will benefit from a fully lit space. I think your #'s will be even higher on this run. Great Job! I'm all about getting the Sun-Cloak. unique design & definitely not like other LEDS available for horticulture. 👍🏻

13. Thanks Hybridway! Pulling 8lbs consistently is awesome tho. I grew original blueberry like 5-6 years ago only a small run, but I loved the end product...IDK why I haven't run it again, I would like to do a run again with Blueberry and do a journal. Wow, that sound like quite the set up you got running over there as far as utilizing a smaller space, kudos. Thats awesome, your leaning towards giving LEDs a try, i'm sure it would cut some of your utility costs.

14. Just added a time-lapse video camera to the room facing the gorilla glue tent. These ladies are a lot farther behind and had a slower start due to a colder environment, but I just switched them to my other LED tent which is temperature controlled. The gorilla glue is already starting to since of faster grow since being switched to a warmer environment and I have a time-lapse camera setup to take a few photos each day, which will stitch together a video. I hope this, coupled with my chronological grow journal updates will be able to convey my results further. Pretty excited to be making videos of all my grows from here on out. pictures and videos are the best evidence of results, otherwise i'm just talking....

15. Keep em coming TT! People need these pictures & journals posted when a new products out giving great results. Otherwise they'll get lost in the hype.
    Watch out for them Gorrila Glues next run, They're stretchers. I think you'll get great results again with this run & a higher yeild due to strain difference. Good work!

16. thats funny you mention the GG, Im updating pictures right now. And thanks for the advice i will def, use it. Some the best advice I received when growing Jesus OG (tanzania or however its spelt) was watch out for the stretch, and sure enough they stretched over 2 feet. So i will def. listen to your advice about the gorilla glue's. Just how they have grow in the past week is a indicator of their speed. Like always, the support is much appreciated!!

17. Here's a quick pic of the GG tent, in their first week in the Suncloak system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, i cannot figure out for the life of me to flip these pics. they invert themselves on the transition from my computer to this site. so if any of your IT einsteins out there have the answer, please help me out, cause this happens to me a lot...

18. So here's the update for my Blue Dream/ Sour Diesel tent...

took the pictures 12/6/15
    there are a week into flowering and so they are stretching for sure. The SD's are stretching in uniform, whereas there is one BD that might have a taller pheno or something bc it wont stop stretching. so I had to manipulate it. These ladies are 4 and a half feet tall. vegged for a month and just finished the first week of flower.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres a image of the BD that's stretching. I just gradually tied her down.

No the flowering countdown begins. The pistils are starting to protrude, and in another week or so they will be everywhere. I can't help to be excited at the growth.

BTW I have used minimal nutes for the veg cycle, just a good medium base and micros and vitamins. I fed them a diluted mix of grow A&B twice in the veg total. I have since gave them a mini flush, and started feeding them a diluted ratio of pre bloom nutes and RO water.