cнσcσℓαтε ℓσgs вιg ℓιттℓε (σяgαηιc) gяσω - sσυтн αғяιcαη sυη v2.0

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Chocolate Log, Oct 29, 2015.

1. #1 Chocolate Log, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    "I thought I had learnt from last year's mistakes and that this year would be better but, alas, there is no luck to be found this time 'round."

Greetings to all the wonderful people here on GC.

It all began with one seed. Same time, same place and same sadness to erase. This is where the rhyming ends my friends.

If any of you remember my runt from last year, I took one seed from that batch, germinated it, and popped it in the ground. Two days later this emerged: (Almost owned by a massive frog nonetheless)

20150910_195823.jpg
    20150910_195859.jpg

About a month later, this is what she looked like:
    20151011_170033.jpg

For some reason, this seed decided to be an autoflower. You can just see the pistils in this shot:
    20151016_174924.jpg

And then tragedy struck... Some cruel, tasteless and vile creature decided to almost level my most prized possession and now this is where she's at today:
    DSC_0424.JPG

Anyway, I'm glad she recovered. Though I moved her out of the ground an into a 2L bottle with a mixture of compost, coco and perlite. I can see the growth by the day. I just hope she goes back to flowering like she was before she got massacred.

I also have two Cali Orange bag seedlings going, that are also dwarfed for some reason. This is one of them:
    DSC_0426.JPG
    This one is about three weeks old now.

Anyway. I'm tired now so I'll post the rest of my collection tomorrow. Let me know your thoughts on dwarf plants and how they come about.

Thanks for viewing my (again) miserable grow.

2. #2 DoomGuy, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    I would remove that last fan leaf and give the plant some time to grow out, you may be able to train it back to good health. This article is about a great method that your plant has already begun. Usually the grower trims it similar to the way the animal ate your plant, so it could work out.
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/manifold

3. Thanks for the tip man. I did what you said and I took the last leaf off. Growth is a bit slow for now but it should pick up speed once it's a bit bigger. It was actually doing really well before it got screwed up.[​IMG]

The mainlining technique seems to be quite effective, but this is not a fast-growing plant by any means so I think it would do more harm than good.

4. #4 Chocolate Log, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    So here's the rest of the lineup guys. Most of my plants are dwarfs, so bear with me. I've excluded one or two that aren't quite up to par.

Dwarf no. 1

DSC_0437.JPG

Dwarf no. 2 (image is a bit blurry)
    DSC_0434.JPG

Dwarf no. 3
    DSC_0428.JPG

And now for my grand finish. Keep in mind these bad ass little girls are only 1 week and 2 days old today. I don't like to brag but these two are the fastest growers I've witnessed.:

DSC_0439.JPG
    DSC_0431.JPG

This is what they looked like two days ago:
    DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0420.JPG

Hopefully they actually turn out to be female. I'm pretty sure they will though, they just have that feminine look.

5. Looks like a fine start to me!

6. Hi guys. Just a quick update here.

My Cali Orange is really not doing well. At first I thought it was my soil not drying out properly but then I realized it was probably due to under watering. I really wasn't too sure so I just gave it some water anyway. it's the same story with my chewed up, recovering plant.

DSC_0444.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

My dwarf plants are also coming along... slowly.

DSC_0445.JPG

DSC_0446.JPG

DSC_0447.JPG

Notice how they're all producing three-fingered leaf sets, as opposed to the regular five-fingered leaves.

Lastly we have my two strong little ones:

DSC_0448.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG

Well that's it for now folks. Enjoy.

7. Thanks man. I'm a little disappointed that I've gotten so many tiny plants, but I'd hate to let them go. Everything just seems to be against me this year. Let's hope for the best.[​IMG]

8. Great things begin in small packages... Patients, lots of light, some nutes and plenty of love and you will be good to go!

9. Watering at this small stage is fairly simple.. Lift the pot.. If it's heavy set it back down.. Medium weight ehhh tomorrow maybe and set it back down.. Ahh this one is light as a feather give it a thorough watering.. Don't play games give it a real drink.. This is why I run small containers you want the plant to be able to use up the water and draw fresh oxygen to the roots as the soil drys..
    A nice fluffy mix and small containers sized to the plants help avoid overwatering and unhappy plants.. You can actually let one wilt to see just how stone dry and light that pot will be.. It's kinda cool just how fast they'll snap back.. Usually under 60 seconds..
    I run this 3x3x3 inch 76mm square plastic pots until the plants are 8 to 12 inches tall.. Much past that and they'll stall.. I get the most explosive growth stage as the plant nears root bound and needs watered nearly every day.. This way when I do transplant the plant pops out with a solid root ball that doesn't fall apart so the plants never get shocked rather they jump again at the touch of some fresh soil.. 5x5x7 for the next stage to about 24 inches tall.. They really don't need massive amounts of soil..
    Just how I get it done on the Brass Pharm..
    BNW
    [​IMG]
    That dusting is some crushed mosquito dunk on the soil to control fungal gnats.. You can see the much bigger next stage 5x5 inch pots and plants on the right side..

10. Over watering and under watering are common problems for the new grower. It's also not an easy concept to convey, but I think you did it some justice here Brass!!

"Watering at this small stage is fairly simple.. Lift the pot.. If it's heavy set it back down.. Medium weight ehhh tomorrow maybe and set it back down.. Ahh this one is light as a feather give it a thorough watering.. Don't play games give it a real drink.. This is why I run small containers you want the plant to be able to use up the water and draw fresh oxygen to the roots as the soil drys.."

11. #11 Chocolate Log, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
    Thanks for the great info dude. I see some of your plants are also a little on the small side. But the ones on the right are beauties. My little ones are gathering steam now.

I think the problem I had with my Cali Orange and the other one that was trying to recover is that the soil was too "hot". The compost I used for those two has chicken manure in it and all sorts of other amendments and I think it was just too much for the roots to handle. They have both passed away. Lesson learned.

I transplanted one of my bigger plants into the same compost, with perlite, and I just really hope it doesn't meet the same demise. I moved it because it was too close to my other plant. I flushed it yesterday until the runoff ran clear, because the first two true leaves are starting to turn yellow and the cotyledons have dried up completely. The bottom of the stem is also starting to turn a little brown and its growth has almost completely stopped. I'm seriously hoping I didn't screw it up because it's my only other "normal" plant.

Here she is today (I flushed yesterday):
    DSC_0455.JPG
    DSC_0456.JPG

And here's my other healthy plant. it's basically growing one new set of leaves every day. I LST'd it a little just to give the lower nodes some light.
    DSC_0460.JPG

Anyway. Thanks for watching, I appreciate the advice.

I agree. I think I have the watering down, I just underestimated the strength of the compost. I should've just stuck to potting soil and perlite but the dumbass in me shone through and now I just have to live with the result. I guess you learn from your mistakes though so it's fine. In the end I should have at least one healthy plant.

Thanks for your input man. Keep well.

12. Hopefully a good flush will fix the "hot" soil problem. I can't tell you how many folks I see on here, sticking tiny seedlings into hot soil like FFOF, presumably recommended by a store. Most seem to get them through it, but it takes a toll on a young plant with all the stress, even after they get them nestled in. Best of luck , looks good and so does the LST!

13. #13 Chocolate Log, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks man. The one that I flushed seems to be doing a little better. I gave it a weak dose of nitrosol (a liquid plant food) and it seems to have sped up the growth a little bit. It's pushing out its fourth set of leaves with confidence and it's looking nice and healthy now. The stem has stabilized which means the roots have established themselves. I was a bit nervous about it, but it looks happy.

(It's the one on the left)
    20151111_182208.jpg

On another note, my dwarf to the right seems to be picking up quite nicely. It's really quite cute.

In fact. All of my dwarf plants are doing really well. The bigger they get, the faster they grow.

20151111_182330.jpg

The one on the right seems to be lagging behind a little and appears to be more sativa-dominant. I'm experimenting a little with different soil types. The soil in the blue container is just soil from my garden. I took the soil from below a tree where worm droppings have been falling for years, and this plant seems to be actually doing the best.

And finally, we have my pride and joy. At only two weeks and five days, this plant is a beauty. The stem is already almost as thick as a pencil and the lower nodes are growing out stunningly.

20151111_180434.jpg
    20151111_180457.jpg

That's all for now. I look forward to seeing these babies grow.

14. #14 Chocolate Log, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
    Just another update here, people of GC. This year I've had a bit of a rocky start, but things are looking up. I now have 15 plants in total and I must say, they're turning into little beauties.

I planted two new seeds today in plain potting mix and perlite, because that seems to be the medium which these plants enjoy most. I have two planted in the ground which are also runts so I haven't photographed them yet. When they get a bit bigger I'll update you on them. Anyway, this is where we're at currently:

My poor little Cali Orange is on the bottom left. But it looks like it's picking up like its neighbors.

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

These are two that I planted on Thursday:

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

And of course we can't forget my thriving gem:

DSC_0058.JPG

I covered it with chicken wire just for added protection against unforeseen threats, but at this rate she's going to bust right through it. I also fimmed her, although I fear I may have gone too low. But I'll have to wait and see.

Thank you to all who are watching.

Regards,
    cнσcσℓαтε ℓσg

15. #16 Chocolate Log, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    Thanks GHG. Not exactly as great as what you've got going on, but I'm trying my best[​IMG].

Well here's an update.

My five little ones. Coming on strong:
    DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG

The California Orange is the tiny one at the bottom left. It's struggling a bit, but it's starting to catch up now.

I've had a few problems with leafminers however they only seem to be going for the bottom, 3-fingered leaves. I cut all of the affected leaves off.
    20151120_180114.jpg

My large plant seems to be doing extremely well. I super cropped two of the lower branches and they appear to be growing slightly faster than any of the other branches. I'm a bit afraid to try super crop the main stem at this point as it's starting to get quite thick and I don't want to ruin it. Here she is, just a little over 1 month old:
    DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0108.JPG
    DSC_0105.JPG

I also have a bit of Basil and Parsley going on the side. I've read that Basil is somewhat of a pest deterrent, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to grow some in the vicinity.
    DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0104.JPG
    I haven't fed this Basil anything and it's taking off like a rocket. This is some good stuff.

Anyway, that's a wrap for now. Until next time. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Marigolds also deter pests of sorts. Did some reading myself on plant cohabitation. Some plants actually fight when planted together.

17. #18 Chocolate Log, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    Hey guys. I took some nice pics of my babies today and I thought I'd share them with you wonderful people.

I've taken the chicken wire off of my main plant as she was starting to get a bit squashed by it. I've scattered basil cuttings in the hopes that the scent will deter and sneaky animals or bugs.

Here she is, in all her glory:
    DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG

I've counted 12 auxiliary branches on this plant. I've never witnessed such vigorous growth before. All my plants get a weekly dose of the aforementioned Nitrosol, and it seems to be doing wonders. I can almost hear this plant grow.

Here are the rest of the Skunk crew. Looking dashing, as always:
    DSC_0069.JPG

My Cali Orange. Sort of starting to take off. She has her first set of five-fingered leaves now:
    DSC_0071.JPG

And lastly, my two latest additions:
    DSC_0070.JPG

I'm basically constantly germinating new seeds because I didn't anticipate the volume of dwarfs I was going to get this year. If I can just get another one like my main girl going, I'll be happy.

Peace out,
    cнσcσℓαтε ℓσg.

18. I've heard of symbiotic relationships between plants, but fighting? I'm going to research that for sure. Thanks for dropping by man, I appreciate it.

19. nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!