How to beat a Smart Meter??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Toka-Cola, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MORDGROW...how many lights u running???

2. 2 400w HPS 24 hours a day.

I had a guy staying in a motor home attached to myhouse, (leaching eletricity etc) my eletric bil trippled for 3 months, they didnt say anything but when i called with some questions they said they were drafting a letter to send to me in reference to the increased usage. (this was b4 i set up my grow room) with my 2 400ws the eletricity barely went up (and 3 fans, and air pump) i think i pay like 150 instead of 120 now or something..

3. mordgrow,,,well i wouldnt worry if i was running 800 watts but what about the guys with 2 or more 1000 watts should we worry or not??im running 2 1000 watts hps plus 400 watt mh plus fans and pumps so should i be concerned or not??

4. if your running more then a couple of 1000w'ers then i'd worry.

5. Yeah...this is gna be used inconjuction with other evidence found on a grower,

Sorry guys, i forgot to explain that Smart Meters here are electronic meters that are going to replace the original meters that are currently the standard for houses in Canada...as most of us all know, Canada has been taken over by the Conservative government which is highly opposed to all things Marijuana :mad: (they're trying to impose a bill to make a mandatory 14yr sentence for any growers caught...again, another major influential decision or peer pressure from our beloved neighbors, US)...The smart meters sends signals to a main box every 3 minutes 24/7 (i know a few growers that actually work for the hydro company, and hehe...dare i say it, 2 cops that do it as well:eek:), so even if you have a 600w or 1000w running consistantly, the meters would detect what kinda wattage is running and send it, the last thing ppl need in our hobby is surveillance being taken on them.

The story is, the government wants to help home owners some money by installing these meters, to see how much energy we use, when we use it, so that we can negotiate a price plan with our hydro company....smell that??? smells like bullshit!

I work in a hydroponic store, and i've lost alot of business and have been told by many that they've been greeted with a knock'n'talk with local law enforcements in the pilot areas where they were testing the new smart meters.

The government is (i believe) starting this new smart meter bullshit in ontario because BC and Montreal has too big a foothold on the cannibus business, and they're trying to gain some sort of ground to control it...i know that some of you guys will prolly have a different viewpoint as opposed to mine but hey, having my level of paranoia has kept me happy for the last 7 yrs of growing...

I'm currently running 2x1000w HPS in my bsmt running and a 400w MH, (currently running a side by side grow comparison of a Top-feed system, DWC, Soilless...will post as soon as i get a proxy server

More info on smart meters:
    http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteShared/smart_meters.asp?sid=ic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=electricity.smartmeters

Cheers;)

Toka-Cola

6. Anyways, i've just ordered a couple of 4000w continuous use generators for RVs and Cottage usage...might as well invest in some off-the-grid peace-of-mind....

HAHA....it beats paying lawyer fees!!!

Cheers

Toka-Cola

7. hey toka cola is it possible to run a generator in side your grow room if u exchaust the fumes?also are there any generators that are as quiet as say a fan cause i have 2 teenage kids that dont know i grow so a quiet generator is what i need

8. also toka my setup is the same as yours lights wise

9. CFL'S work great !:smoking: 125 watts = 500 watts + more useable light + cooler temps + NO HEAT SIGNATURE !:cool:

10. 421 cfls are good but how many cfls do u have to run to get 1-2 lbs of bud every 2 months???

11. Hey folks FYI: if the smartmeters ur gettin are anything like the the 1 i have then fear not:)
    It monitors power usage just like ur old meter, except it determines peaktime (buisness hours really) and off-peak time and u get billed accordingly. Peaktime hours electricity costs ALOT more than offpeak, and I'd image most of you are have ur 12/12 set to "on" at offpeak times. So the only difference you should notice is a DROP in your electric bill!:)
    Don't concern yourself with "switch on spikes", everytime you boil the kettle or run the laundry your gonna spike, it would be unusual for your supply NOT to spike! And typically residential customer's use higher levels offpeak because they are actually home then anyway!
    However, if the meter is located in your girls' room, it's time to sweat bullets :eek:

12. TLC how many lights are u running??

13. Im currently running NO LIGHTS lol, iv moved to a new location and havent setup yet here. But smartmeters are almost standard in Ireland at this point, so I had the same WTF is this scare as the original poster:) I'll post again in a few mnths with more interesting stuff (&pics) :devious:

14. TLC so there hasnt been an increase of busts due to these meters???

15. I think everyone here is over reacting. These smart meters cant tell that the 2400 watts coming from your setup isn't a space heater and two dehumidifiers running. Honestly there are several electronic devices that use 1kw of electricity. Toka Cola what you said is you have been growing for 7 years. Thats a long time with a stable amount of wattage. As long as there is no drastic increase in electricity you should be fine.

16. I don't know but if anyone can come up with something I am very curious to see just what it would take. Thats pretty vigerous growth !:D

17. I don't know but if 125 watts of CFL is equal to 500 watts, then any amount would be worth the try.:D

18. Hey fishman, heres the generator i bought, should arrive soon!!...anyways, i'm building a baffle box around it with and will be building a platform for it to run on, the platform will be made of 2 car springs cut in half so that i have 4 legs for the platform, this should suffice for vibration that it may or may not cause, but either way, this generator can be used continuously for as long as you keep gas in it. I have a smaller generator that i use at my cottage, and i run that generator most of the time when i'm doing my outdoor stuff during the summer.

19. hey toka nice generator i was looking at generators online from canadian tire and they had a small one that was contained in a plastic/fiberglass box to reduce noise and vibe it had a small engine i think it was 2.5 hp motor and it could generate 2150 watts of power .and running at half capacity it would run for 10 hours on a tank of gas,so i was thinking of getting 2 of them and running one 1000 watt light per generator and modifing the gas tank so itll run for 12 hours.but for now i dont have to worry about it until i get that paper in the mail telling me about my new hydro meter,one question about that generator how loud do u think ittl be once you enclose it???