Most valuable life lessons youve had?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AbstractMinds, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Oh, and of course "A thug changes, love changes and best friends become strangers, word up." -Nas

2. Respect this planet, for it gave you life. It gives you life.

3. I've learned two very important life lessons in recent years. The first is that you never "know it all". I thought I did once, and was totally wrong. Everyone is vulnerable, and nobody has all the answers. The second lesson I learned, is that by and large, human beings are shit. True selfless human kindness is a rare commodity in today's world. Our society's obsession and fixation on the profit motive muddies the water between genuine human decency and selfish plasticity for personal gain. I'm not referring to the profit motive only in terms of money. I'm also referring to the broader concept of it in terms of it's use to gain personal brownie points, socially speaking. For example, while walking into a convenience store with her grandmother, a 22 year old girl may hold the door open for me as I enter the store behind them. This action on behalf of the 22 year old girl is most likely only carried out to earn the acceptance and praise of her grandmother. Had her grandmother been excluded from this hypothetical scenario, the young girl wouldn't have give a shit whether or not she'd have slammed the door in my face, if she even noticed me in the first place.

4. Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back.

5. Treat others the way you want to be treated

6. I agree that learning is key, but keeping an open mind is absolutely crucial. Without that you'll never be able to learn anything, or get to know the people in your life. My favorite quote is "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I still worry and mull about the crappy things that happened to me when I was a kid, I wish I knew how to change that. My mom is a big old wet rag, total doormat, so I went balls to the wall the opposite way. I bust a lot of balls...That's how I protect myself.

7. Time with people is very short and unexpected. You never know when you'll talk to X last, so talk to X as much as you can. Learn everyone's stories of your loved ones. They'll leave you one day and along with their body, they'll leave with their life story also, unable to tell anyone about it ever again.

Spend your time with your family and loved ones as much as possible people. Learn from your parents/grandparents, ask questions, get curious on their family history. Everyone has a beautiful and interesting history. Just LISTEN.

8. #28 Bumbaross, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
    your mind is everything. you can affect the world around you with intention and thought

if you step back far enough to see the bigger picture, no matter how you look at it, it's 1 whole thing. its difficult to notice when youre in it. separation is an illusion

the ultimate goal is progress and creation. and love

Everything is vibration. we cant perceive most of it (right now)

the power of numbers, starting with 1111

Listen to your intuition

Keep an open mind and heart

Keep watching

Stay based

• Like Like x 1
  9. Resilience and Perseverance is key, that is all.

What if it's negative treatment?

10. Then reciprocate with kindness. Always be kind and blessed.

11. My humanism ways tell me to treat people who I'd want to be treated.. and just like everyone else and their morals, I'd like it if everyone else followed the same. So assuming they do, if someone treats you negatively.. that just means they're treating you how they'd like to be treated, so it's all good to treat them with an equal or lesser amount of negativity. Hopefully it'll trigger some sort of inner reflection and they can see the hypocrisy of complaining about being treated poorly when they're treating other poorly. A good example is when I see people riding someone's ass on the highway when everyone is already going over the speed limit. If the person is under the speed limit, fair game to ride their ass some.. but if they're already speeding and I see someone riding them, I have this urge to ride that person's ass. Most of the time I ride them, then back off and watch as they back off. I'm assuming they are in their car thinking "man, this dude behind me is being an asshole and riding my bumper.. what a di.. oh wait, I'm doing the same thing.."

12. I always make fun of my dad when it's relevant to a conversation and he's around. He is one of the wisest people I've ever met, and like 30 years ago, he lent 25,000 to a construction worker he had known for a few years. He had worked on their house a couple times, and my dad thought that was enough rapport to lend it to him for an investment.

Never heard back [​IMG]

On topic: My dad always gave these two and drilled them into my head. The first two that come to mind. Don't get married before you live your life (he highly recommended waiting until my mid 30's like he did), and always visit the sick/dying because so many people avoid them.

13. Be adaptable

14. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you find yourself getting frustrated or irritated or stressed out about a situation, ask yourself if it is going to matter in 5 years. If not, try to chill about it.

On the other hand, if you have control over something and its irritating you, do something about it. Life is too short.

If something is important to you, its worth some irritation and hard work.
    If its not important to you, or won't impede your goals, don't put yourself through that.

E.g., if someone is irritating you by asking you to smoke them out every day and that is getting you stressed out, sure it won't matter in 5 years, but just put a halt to the situation. I think people in general have a problem being direct with each other--I certainly do. But I give it my best shot :)

15. Hmmm probably to never take life seriously in the first place. Its just a ride enjoy it while you can, make the most of it and make it count :)

16. #37 Soldi3r420, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    I am only 22 and have strived to research and question everything in life from authority to what is life? I am deeply in tune with things now, I feel so matured mentally like I have had rapid expansion of my mind.

I started learning all my knowledge in recent years after realizing what really lurks on the dark side, and how corrupt the world really is. After that I never have stopped learning and searching random questions I have on the Internet and digging for the real truth and facts.

One of the big helpers in my life has been cannabis, it has changed my life and helped opened up my eye (third eye/pineal) and become more interested about life and God. I have expanded my consciousness be become a more spiritually connected person with God and life itself. I have become a better version of me and gained better understanding of this life and the after life.

I own my own business have my own house and nice stuff, all off this would not have been possible as the old me. Cannabis has allowed me a look at different perspectives and activating my third eye has helped me so much in life it is amazing.

17. So many in this thread already. I would add:

Everything that happens in your life, you are responsible for.

Live as though no one's looking and no one cares. At the same time live as though it's the most important moment of your life. Always, all the time, ground yourself in the severity of life and the freedom/carelessness of it and let love take its course.

18. it's not what you know, it's who you know....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Waiting does nothing for happiness. patience and politeness get you stepped on. Nice guys always finish last with others pointing and laughing at them going in circles

• Like Like x 1