First grow, first lst. Purple Trainwreck feminized. Thoughts appreciated.

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Napalm1500, Oct 11, 2015.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1451174158.010073.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1451174178.810923.jpg this is what I ended up doing. Can you tell me if this looks right and will work? Should I still lst or is this fine ?

2. Sun Dec 27
    Day 16

Hi!! Sorry I've been busy with holidays and we got some water in the basement from flooding from that huge storm this week....
    The net slowly filling out.
    1451227608785.jpg
    Patricia is getting a little hairy
    1451227619600.jpg
    Now that the family is gone, I can do some more maintenance. I'll post some better pics later.

3. Looking good so far. I agree with Justalilcrazy on opening up the middle a little by bending those top colas over. I have an older pic that might help explain that.

This is a different plant, but you can see how she is spread out away from the middle. This allows light to reach the inside, which in turn, helps the small growth become larger. The leaves from the top cola prevent light penetration. Think of the top colas as umbrellas...you get light, but not near as much if they weren't there.
    1451227929504.jpg

Here's before
    1451228841787.jpg
    And after
    1451228877297.jpg

Pulling the tops out also trick the apical dominance of the plant. Auxins are released that serve two main functions that we need to know when using lst. One is height the other is bend. The top most colas receive the auxins for growth.

The plant doesn't care about anything but survival and propagation. It wants at least one cola to reach the sky and get as much sun as possible to do what it does best. Beautiful pretty flowers for pollination.

We want something different. So to take away that apical dominance, we bend or cut the plant so that there are multiple branches at the same height. This tricks the plant into sending auxins to other parts of the plant, allowing them to grow upwards as well.
    A few days later, we do it again. :)

So, by opening her up and allowing light into her middle, you're helping her grow bushier on the inside. When you do the light flip to 12/12, this gives you more branches...which means more buds. :)

4. i agree, however my biggest plant is about 14 inch and she doesn't seem to wanna bend her main stem, which is why I believe I waited to late, it's very sturdy. That's why I went head with the scrog net :/

5. Your scrog will be fine to help you train if the main stalk is too thick.
    I might suggest making sure your lines are taut, it helps hold the plant down better, but it's not necessary.

Have you topped? Or switched to 12/12 yet? I personally wouldn't top during 12/12, but I've seen it done.

If you have not switched yet and are still in veg, you could top them and it will create two tops. Then as it grows, the two tops will be easier to train horizontally along the scrog. But you will need to give the plant recover time after topping and before switching. Few days or a week should suffice, but you would know your plants best, so watch them for input.

If you're in flower, all I can suggest is continue doing what you are, your plants look very nice. As they stretch, pull them along the scrog bottom. Give a day or two for growth, then pull and tuck some more. You're doing fine. :)

6. Mon Dec 28
    Day 17

Finally filling in again. B)

Attached Files:

7. Looks nice napalm...having some issues with low humidity myself...hopefully got that solved tho...didnt realize what and impact low humidity had on growth

8. I am not in flower, I've already fimmed, I don't know it was successful tho.

9. Thank you, I'm still not in the clear yet, lol.
    I'm sorry to hear about your low humidity issues. How low are you?
    Mine is in the mid to high 50s right now. I could go lower, as I don't want to risk mold issues, but I have good airflow with a small fan under the canopy and the centrifugal up top, so I'm not too worried.
    I've read that 40%-60% is better for flower and 60%-80% better for vegetative. It's a range, of course, since strains vary from region to region.
    What have you done to raise your levels? I'd be interested in case I get your issue, but I think I'll be getting the opposite as they flower more.

10. @ Da Lee Lama
    You have any more current pictures? Anything of your fim attempt? From what we can see, they look really nice.
    I'd let them grow out a little and maybe top once more before flipping, but that would depend on what your timeline is. And how fast or slow they fill up that net. You want roughly 3/4 full before switching. Less is fine
    My plants are personal medical use only. This means no hurry, no worry. So I vegged then longer because I wanted them bushier.
    Ultimately, you're going to have to decide if you want to top again or not, and when to start flowering. Really depends on what you want/expect from this grow.

11. my goal is to see how they are at around 1/9/16 at that point it would be 2 months exact in veg. My goal is to just get a good yield from 5 plants. I'm really appreciative of the whole process it's been amazing

12. I noticed droopy leaves on my plants and i had just watered the day before so did alot of research and found out how low humidity affects plants....i was about 20% RH just ordered a good size humidifier yesterday...but since i bought a cheappie and been hangin wet towels in the tent. Up to 33% better...but still low

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1451429228.376068.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1451429242.717772.jpg

14. Even if your stems are tough you can work your scrog. Once they grow 2"-3" through net, move them one square over...keep doing that til you fill net 75%. Plant tops should be flexible enough to move that much.

15. I agree. It's looking nice in there. :)

justalilcrazy, 33% rh is better, but you want more, I'm sure you know. How is the humidifier working?
    What size did you get and how big is your tent? I'm going to have to research that issue some more, I've been fortunate so far. I'm wondering if having a larger plant from a longer veg time effects moisture released and raises rh? They do sweat. Kinda makes sense.
    I don't think I would have hung towels. That scares me with excess water leaking in spots I cannot get to and then mold. My tent is only 4x4. Not much room to wiggle my big ol arms into for excess cleaning.
    An old trick my mother used to raise humidity in the house was putting coffee cans of water on the old steam pipe furnaces we had sticking out of the walls. As the water heated and evaporated, it spread into the room as moisture, or humidity. Worked great for winter and bloody noses. Maybe rigging a small can by the lights could do something similar?
    You have the humidifier though. I don't have room in my tent for one of those. I'd be interested in how well it worked...how much tweaking or if it stays constant fairly quickly.
    Either way, good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

16. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1374738-NEFarmers-outdoor-adventure/page__view__findpost__p__22267161 any idea ?

17. Got the big humidifier....it's a honeywell...has 2 tanks holds 3-1/4 gallons...got it up to 50% rather quickly....leaves were praying and growth has been crazy since the increase.