My First PC Case Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by slewcid, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Thanks man! I might take a look at that LED project down the road. In the meantime I just tossed a lamp into the case and closed it up. I'm using a cheap CFL that isn't the right one for growing. I think this one was like 900 lumins. I just wanted to see how hot the case got with just the lamp and no fans. After a few hours it was 82 degrees. I think with some fans running I should be in good shape.

IMAG1506.jpg

I'll probably buy new fans that are light proof because there are a few holes I'll need to patch before I get started. Thanks again for your help!

2. Looks pretty dang good slew!

3. Looking good. Remember a fan blowing on your light will help you loose at lest 3 degrees. If I'm seeing your case right just above that light is an empty space you could have your exit fan up there and that will make the light proofing easier since it's already pretty dark there. Cfls work best on there side. You'll prolly, well def have to add more light though. 2 or 3 more of those lights and you'll be set. The best way Iv seen them set up is a strip cord at the top of the case and then socket plugs in it. Good luck man!

4. Chapter Two: The Sequel

Hi guys,

Shopping day! I got the parts I needed at Home Depot:

4 pack Phillips Daylight Deluxe 60w 6500k CFL, $8.57
    4 pack Ecosmart Warm 45w 2700k CFL; $4.97
    2 double sockets; $4.97
    2 outlet to socket light plug; $4.18
    1 Button timer; $5.96

I stopped by the nearby grow shop to get acquainted and found they had a pretty huge bag of Foxfarms Ocean Garden for about $15.00. I think I'll prolly hit that up since I don't have any other soil around. I was hoping they had a small fan but instead the guy said he saw what I was looking for at a store down the road. It's a decent fan, doesn't blow too hard and seems like its pretty cheap for $10.00 but it came with a USB adapter which gives me a second option down the road. I might get another one if I don't come across a better one.

On to the show!

So I did some case mods, removing the shelves I was hoping to keep. It was worth it though, since the bulbs are pretty large for the space.
    I also removed a purple plastic part I was hoping to save in case I needed to run a supporting line or something across the case. One of the bulbs was touching the plastic so it had to go.

IMAG1519.jpg IMAG1521.jpg
    IMAG1522.jpg
    IMAG1514.jpg IMAG1520.jpg

I turned the lights on an 18/6 cycle with the fan on at about 2pm today. The thermometer read 70 degrees when I closed the case. I'll check it around 8ish to see how warm it is then.

Do I need a carbon filter? Is it just for aroma control or is it required for the plant? I found one somewhere for pretty cheap but if its just to keep the scent down I'll probably skip it since my case is in a rarely used garage.

Should I try to find a smaller pot? I didn't have one smaller than this one. It was used to grow the plant that's currently struggling against the weather outside. I'm concerned about the height of the plant once it gets going.

Also, I haven't decided on a strain yet. I'm kind of looking at Sensi's Super Skunk Auto or Lowrider. Thoughts? I'm not in a big rush for this decision.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and support! I'm super excited to get started, just a few more weeks before I can sneak some money for the soil and the seeds!

Attached Files:

5. Ok, so I couldn't leave well enough alone. After about 2 hours I went out to check on the case. It was 110 degrees in there! I took out one of the bulbs and re-arranged a bit.

IMAG1527.jpg

We'll see how she looks in a few hours.

6. Do you have some air exchange in there? I couldn't tell if you had something tucked in there.
    The carbon filter would be for scent control only. You could always wrap a carbon air filter over the exhaust fan if it becomes a problem.
    Hopefully someone will chime in on this: O'd have to try a shallower, broader pot. Maybe something comparable to a Tupperware dish, dark one, of course. It would take up more floor space but give more grow room and hopefully give more room for root development. Although, the shallower soil will dry out more quickly. Think about it & see what you've got around the house.
    I'm pretty sure you could come up with drip type watering system to keep it from drying out.
    It looks great Slew!
    Btw, fox farm ocean forrest can be a little hot. Happy farm would probably be better for an auto. I used a mix of the two but either would work. You'll probably have to add some ewc and/or kelp (both is better) around flowering.
    Have a great night!

7. I only have the one fan blowing on the lamp. I'll defiantly need a second fan up top to move the air out. That's something I'll have to figure out later as I've converted the case from grow mode to drying mode. :) :) :)

I'll look around for other growing medium options. I've got a few ideas kicking around now.

Thanks for the soil choice advice. I'm glad I didn't buy the huge bag of it now. I'll try finding the happy farm in a reasonable sized bag locally.

Thanks for stopping by!

8. Yes you'll definitely need an exit fan my man. 110 is way to hot. If you can try to arrange your lights so there closer together in the middle unless you plan on doing 2 plants and a plant per 2 lights. If you can maybe try and remove that top section. You'll have much more room and it'll be easier for your lights. The carbon filter isn't necessary you are only doing a plant or 2 not too stinky especially if you go with low rider.
    With your current case size I would recommend against an auto. You don't have much room. With a normal fem seed you can 12/12 a week or sooner after it pops.
    A shallower pot as mona said would be better you'll have more room for vertical growth. Still you needs lots of soil. Happy frog or ocean forest work great but you don't really have to have them even miracle grow seed starting soil will work just not suggested. As I said before. You want a almost 100% indica. They take the heat better and will do better in this small environment. Indica indica indica. Doesn't matter the strain just look for something you like thats at least 90% indica. God bud, and diamond girl would be great. If you get that top removed and put a power cord at the top of your case I bet you could do an auto. I just don't feel you have enough room now unless you did some incredible training. Autos are also more sensitive to temperature and the amount of light you get.

9. Try setting your lights up above the rod that separates the 2 sections like this if this makes sense
    |lights|
    | case|

10. I love watching this stuff unfold!! 👍

11. Thanks for telling me the difference between autos and non autos. I had no idea. I like the looks of Diamond Girl, seems like a cheap way to get started.

I've made some mods to the case to convert it from growing mode to drying mode. I can remove the shelf in the middle with a Sawzall and will happily do it after my outdoor girl is finished in there. While I like having the shelf option I think having more vertical space in there would be better suited for me.

Thanks again for your advice! I can't wait to get into growing mode but I'm also looking forward to drying and curing. I'll post pictures once I have her drying.

12. Can't wait to see man.
    Autos can be great don't get me wrong but you can honestly do the same with normal buds that you can do with autos. And even get better results. Autos you want a pretty perf environment 24 or 20/4 hours of light. Autos can also be a disaster in small spaces. They can get to big and need serious trimming which will kill yield or worse have to get rid of the plant. Autos are neat that's how I see them kind of a novelty don't get me wrong some are pretty cool I ordered some the other day.

13. Thanks, I'm really glad you explained it because I would have just bought the autos thinking they'd be what I'd want for a first timer. I'll go with the feminized ones. I saw a video where some guys showed Diamond Girl through to harvest and she ended up pretty huge. Does a smaller pot equal a smaller plant?

Here are the photos of my outdoor plant (I named her Mona in tribute to Mona from here for helping me through the grow and flower stages when her expertise is in indoor growing) in my drying mode case. You can get caught up by skimming though my other thread: http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-medical-marijua...

IMAG1548.jpg
    IMAG1549.jpg
    IMAG1552.jpg

It's pretty cool in there at around 59-65 degrees. Humidity was pretty low at around 35%. I might consider the carbon scrubber after all! It might be because some of the leaves were left out but it smelled stronger than I expected.

The cola bud was already kinda dry. I checked it this morning and it hasn't changed much. I'll check back on her in a few hours. I'm really hoping I don't get this over dried. :/

14. That looks tasty lol. How many days has it een drying?

15. About 14 hours now.

16. Hey guys do you think this would work for planting?

Attached Files:

17. I'd think the foil lining & pan would exacerbate the heat problem.
    You're a sweetheart, Slew! That's a good looking bud. I'm sure looking forward to your smoke report.

18. Thanks Mona! I'll keep looking. Meanwhile here she is after drying for a day and a half. I think she's almost done! Then on to curing! It's 70 in the case at around 50-60% humidity. The paper towel wick really helps! The buds are starting to feel crispy yet squishy. Looking like tonight or tomorrow for final trim. So stoked!

Attached Files:

19. Congratulations!! I'll smoke a bowl in your honor 😉

20. Looks tasty man making me jelly cause I'm waiting on my plants ha. I wouldn't suggest that for a pot it doesn't seem very deep maybe 1-2inches you're gonna want at least 5 inches Id say. Yes the smaller the pot the smaller the bud. You can grow plants in solo cups but there's a point when it will get to root bound and start to wither.