Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The pros/cons of [different] Smoking Devices List

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Floydian, Feb 16, 2007.

1. So... I had an idea.

List of all the major ways of smoking weed... and have everyone post what they think are the major pros/cons of using said smoking devices. If the thread actually lasts long enough/works out, I'll add all the reasonable pro's and cons to the original post. Maybe in the end, we'll have a pretty good guide to help people decide what type of piece to buy/use.

I'll start off with one of my favourite pro's (I'll leave vaporizors blank, since I've never used a real one) for all the chategories I can think of (if I'm missing any, just shout it out), and then everyone else can take it from there. If it bombs... oh well.

Joints/Blunts;

Pro's;

- Leaves no physical evidence (such as a dirty pipe) once smoked, other than a good smell in the air.
    - They progressively get stickier with resin; thus possibly tastier, thicker hits, nice roach to smoke, etc.
    - Cannot be irreplaceably broken (in comparison to glass peices). Can fall on the floor and be fine, or if ripped none-too-severely, can be repaired with tape/rolling paper gum.
    - Minimal upkeep, as it's lifespan is done when the weed is gone.
    - Possibly the most concealable.

Con's;

- Can end up with you having resin smeared all over your lips.
    - An overall loss of psychoactives, due to constant burning and or uneven burning.
    - Depending on how much/the type of bud you're rolling, and the rolling impliment, it can take a considerable amount of skill.

Pipes;

Pro's;

- If glass, possibly can change pretty colors/be equally as unique as bongs.
    - Generally, easily concealable.

Cons;

- Can produce fairly harsh/strong hits, in comparison to other methods.
    - Stems can be to short, ending in singed hairs... and worse.
    - If metal, can easily get too hot to handle.
    - Towards the end of the bowl, it is entirely possible to accidentally suck some ash through the pipe, in to your mouth, specifically with glass.
    - If glass, notorious for breaking. Not usually anywhere near as thick (as in glass) as bongs.

Bubblers;

Pro's;

- Bring together the wonderful world of pipes AND bongs.

Con's;

- In some cases, portable, but not practical to actually carry.
    - Hard to change water
    - One of the harder varieties to clean in general.
    - Possible to get nasty water in your mouth. Generally, occours more often with bubblers than bongs.
    - Water must be frequently changed; both to keep the smell down, better the taste of the hit, and lengthen the time between cleanings.

Bongs/Hookahs;

Pro's;

- Can be some of the most creative/unique of all smoking devices.
    - More condensed smoke per square inch, than other smoking methods.
    - If gravity/waterfall style bong, by far the thickest hits imagineable.

Con's;

- A possibility of loosing some THC due to the water filtration.
    - Can produce possibly the smelliest water you've ever smelled.
    - Unless specifically designed for stealth, totally impractical to transport anywhere, unless for a very warranted reason.
    - Slim chance of getting bong water in your mouth.
    - If [a well used bong] is spilled, there's a good chance it could stain carpeting, and or leave a nasty smell for days to come.
    - Can be both harder, and easier, than the average bubbler to clean.
    - Water must be frequently changed; both to keep the smell down, better the taste of the hit, and lengthen the time between cleanings.
    - If gravity/waterfall style bong, it can involve too much of a process to operate, for the average stoned person.
    Vaporizers;

Pro's;

- Minimal respiratory repercussions.
    - Long lasting highs
    - Unique taste
    - Possibly a more unique high in general than any other method.

Con's;

- Slowed process
    - Some psychoactives may be left behind
    - Less compatible with other forms of marijuana (ex. hash, keif, etc.)

Fruit (specifically apples);

Pro's;

- An apple a day keeps the doctor away... one way or another.

Con's;

Notes;

- All glass peices, can of course, break. Some easier than others. Some categories may say something about this, some may not. Just understand it to be a given.
    - All ways of smoking weed, in the end, should get you where you need to be. One type of device getting you any higher than another is a moot point, really, and will not be added to this list, in as undetailed of a statement as "gets you higher than everything else" or something to that degree.
    - Some chategories will have a copy and pasted pro or con from another. Specifically, bongs and bubblers.
    - Please, read the list before you post a suggestion. Even if it's not already been said in your exact words, it very well may have been said anyway.
    - Your suggestions may not be added to the list in your own exact words. I will alter it to best fit in to it's place, and so it's generally understandable, to people who may never have even used something in whatever chategory. Please understand that this is just for the greater cause of this whole thread.

- Since I am too lazy to give a thanks to everyone who suggests something or actually gets one on the list, wether it be in this original post, or later on in the thread... just understand that if you weren't an idiot, your input was greatly appreciated. Also, many of the things that will [hopefully] end up here, are things that I could just go through and put myself. Nevertheless, I'm trying to maintain as much diversity as possible. So if you do want some form of recognition, which will be given some how, make sure you come up with a very unique pro or con, that no one else would have thought of.

2. add a con for

Blunts & Joints: "the blunt pooped on my lips" or the act of getting resin smeared on your lips.

Bong: Possibly less thc, but not really much of a diffrence. more smoke per squar inch becouse the smoke is condensed

vaporizer: slow proccess, leaves SOME phsycoactives behind, hard to smoke hash or kief from what i hear

3. Done. Though I left out the "more smoke per square inch" part for bongs... wouldn't that actually be a pro? I know I enjoy nice thick milkshots out of my bong... the less I can see on the other side, the better :D

4. hahahaha i ment pro man! haha. but yea you get the idear. you have a nice day! YOU BETTER HAVE A NICE DAY:D

5. pipes-
    pros-conveinent, easy to hide, it works :)
    cons-cough easier than with other smoking devices, short stem, too hot of smoke. flame close to face

6. Joints/Blunts-Cons, waste a lot of smoke if your not hittin it real quick.

Glass Pipes-Pro-some of the most creative pieces are just a basic pipe. They can make great talking pieces during a session...I know that just hitting a particular piece can bring stories to mind

Con-can break easily if dropped (Basically a con of any glass)

Bubblers/Bongs-Con-Not very portable. The water kinda makes it so you gotta pick and choose your spots with it, smelly water.

Waterfall Bongs-Pro-HUGE milky hits, saves a lot of weed. Con-Not very convieniant at all. Kind of a pain in the ass to set up a bunch of times if your smoking with friends.

7. Pros

Joints/Blunts- Resinates AS you smoke.
    Bong- Looks cooler than any other way of smoking, and usually is someone's smoking centerpiece.

Cons

Pipes- I dunno bout you, but I can't smoke a pipe for more than 20 minutes cause it gets fuckin Too Hot.

8. joints- pros, gets you higher than pipes

9. really, i dont think you want that argument to start again.
    • Cigarette - Also called a joint, dried marijuana buds are rolled into a cigarette. Approximately 10 percent to 20 percent of the THC is transferred into the body when smoking a joint.
    • Cigar - Some users slice open a cigar, remove the tobacco and refill it with marijuana. The marijuana-filled cigar is often called a blunt.
    • Pipe - You've probably seen people smoke pipes of tobacco, but these pipes are also used to smoke marijuana. About 40 percent to 50 percent of the THC is transferred into the body when using a pipe.
    • Bong - These are water pipes that typically have a long tube rising out of a bowl-shaped base. Water pipes trap the smoke until it's inhaled, raising the amount of THC taken in.
    • Food - Marijuana is sometimes baked into foods, such as brownies, or brewed as tea.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/marijuana6.htm

10. Cons: only for some people but

joints and blunts take skill to roll, whereas any joe schmo can smoke a bong/pipe/vaporizer

Pros:

blunts are safer for group smoking, if its dropped no real harm done. same with joints

also they dont require any upkeep, like cleaning them or scraping for res, putting in screens, filling with water etc. . .

11. neg - bubblers - a pain to change the water

neg - both bongs and bubblers - spilled water smells like shit

12. Pipes
    Cons - You risk getting scoobies/hot ash in your mouth

Bubblers
    Cons - Risk getting gross water in your mouth

13. Cons for any water device is that they can't be hidden as easily.

14. Not if you use a roach/cardboard tips. It seems like i'm the only one around where I live who uses them though, and people are often confused when I share a jay with tipped roaches.

A major con I find about joints is they waste alot of bud in the end since its constantly burning at a faster rate than you can inhale (unless you use slow-burning cellulose papers like Aleda)

15. BONG : PRO- they get you the higest the fastest

CON - they taste fucking gross if you dont clean em and leave water in them

Pipe - pro - they fit in your pocket real easy and hidden
    pro- produce a diffrent type of hit that your just in the mood for sometimes

con- smoke is hot and makes you choke a lot some times, and you dont get as high as quikly (usually)

16. bong cons: when u get really baked u can drink the bong water and thats tastes gross

bong pros: a few hits and ur trashed

17. gravity bong.... pros: conservative as fuck, pulls milky rips, and easy to make. get you real bakled with like .5 of dank

cons: possible spilled water, hotass cap, changing the water..tastes like oral hell iwht reggies.

18. Glass pipe:
    Pro = Better handling the heat.

Pipe:

Pro = Pretty simple to use.

Joint:

Con = Possibility of losing un-burned weed due to un-even burning.

Waterfall Bong:

Pro = Huge hits and essentially self-working

19. As for getting ash in your mouth from a pipe. I just slice a bit of a filter and put it in the mouth piece end of the pipe. If you have a pipe where each piece unscrews.

20. What about the efficency of them? blunts and joints are less efficient than pipes and bongs.
    Also, one con of bubblers is they seem to get broken easy :p
    Everyone I know who has had one, it broke within a couple months, just because random stoned stupidity.