Is it a sin to smoke bud?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by USMC4/20, Aug 18, 2015.

1. I think the whole story about the Garden of Eden and of Adam and Eve eating the Forbidden Fruit is best understood as a symbolic and poetic retelling of mankind's coming into consciousness and separating himself from God by developing an ego and having his own opinions of the world (having knowledge of good and evil). It seems to make more sense to view the significance of Adam and Eve eating the Forbidden Fruit lies in the actual act of defiance against God, the very first sin of Humanity, as opposed to speculating on what particular fruit it was they ate. Human consciousness is often viewed as a curse and a sickness by many religious thinkers through out the ages.

2. Well on one hand, the likelihood of there being an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent creator looking over us dictating whether our souls are worthy to bask in his glory for all eternity, and if not to be punished eternally by a fallen angel who is actually more benevolent than the creator if you read between the lines, is next to 0.

So in that case no, because there is no such thing.

On the other hand, there's Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

And cannabis is a seed-bearing plant. So once again, the implication is no, smoking weed is not a sin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I do not think so outside of Romans. The same passage used to demonize marijuana directly ("Pharmakeia") is translated most often describe witchcraft..

The best argument outside of Romans is about drunkenness, though this may also just refer to alcohol.

4. I thought the same, not everyone can be a badass

5. Hey Salt, I guess that is true, I'm so salty the world dries up when I walk by, and salt leaks from the holes in my carcass

6. No its not a sin

/thread

-Yuri

• Like Like x 1
  7. #27 Elem3nt17, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    Very much so! Take away the luxuries of modern living and this world is a harsh unforgiving place full of death, disease and suffering. Before modern medicine/technology life expectancy was short, very short, it was filled with pain and loss.

Even today is not so great, while technology has made our physical struggle less intensive, our philosophical struggles are worse than ever. Tyler Durden said it best; "God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle
    children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." Not to mention we are being controlled by what are essentially corporate sponsored/run shill governments who are at the top echelons run by straight up sociopathic megalomaniacs. If anything this world makes a case for the whole cast out of the garden scenario.

Even the good things in life are taken away from us. Being forced to watch friends family and loved ones struggle and or die with no explanation as to why. Moments of joy, lust and love often give way to boredom and drudgery. True love is often discarded due to a collection of misunderstandings and moments of anger. Things you whole heartedly enjoy one day you might loath the next.

Some people are born, live and die knowing only pain and misery, where is the dogmatic/spiritual justice in that? Sin is bullshit. The more we know learn in the fields of psychology, genetics, nature vs nurture, the more we learn that we are all basically a product of inherited genetic traits and the enviroment we are raised in so how knowing that how can anybody be held accountable for their actions. I could go on and on with this philosophical argument that I have with myself almost constantly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #28 Elem3nt17, Aug 23, 2015
    But then Noah was a drunk and god saw him as the most righteous of the bunch way back when so there's that to consider.

OP I think if you subscribe to Christian dogma its a safe bet that god will judge you from what comes forth from your mouth not what goes into it. [​IMG]

Mathew 15:18
    But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and it is those things that make a person unclean.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #29 Techno mechanical fox, Aug 23, 2015
    Noah being drunk was not really described in a positive way for Noah. I think that it was more of a cautionary tale than anything, especially because God did not command Noah to stop drinking wine, and wine was never brought up again.

After reading that part I mostly think that it was talking about his son trying to take advantage of Noah while drunk. But in the bible there are positive and negative uses for alcohol listed, including verses that straight up praise alcohol.

14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
    15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.
    Psalm 104:14-15
    Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
    Ecclesiastes 9:7

I also agree that if you are a Christian it matters a lot more what you actually say and do rather just what you put into your body.

10 And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”

Matthew 15:10-12

10. #30 432, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
    Its only a sin if you make it a sin for yourself and living in fear and letting yourself be controlled from words of text books that were written thousands of years ago and who knows how many times they have been changed or manipulated from the original text.

People need to stop living in the past and just enjoy life as it is because sooner or later you'll be in a grave and realize you wasted most of your life focusing on shit that no longer serves you or never did in the first place.

Live the present and everything will fall into place.

Wanna believe something? Believe in your fucking self.

If that's not good enough then take George Carlin's Advice and Worship the Sun.

Peace

11. Yes it is a sin now send that sinfulness my way and I'll take care of it. Or you could just smoke it and pray to Jesus that stuff washes sins away right? Just ask him to forgive you as you put the joint out and it's like it never happened. God is great isn't he?

12. I don't think so, god created pot and knew people where going to ingest it. Making it a sin would be like entrapment. I don't know the exact bible verse but I read that it isn't what goes in the man that defiles him but what comes out. Imo just ask God or pray on it. Ive had Christians agree with me and others that didn't. Ironically the ones that disagreed (Mormons),frowned upon marijuana and alcohol but saw addictive prescription opiate pain pills as perfectly fine. I live in Cali and I am a legitimate MMJ patient. I believe in God but I am not a religious person nor go to church. I use cannabis as medicine and learned to respect it. As long as your not mugging people or hurting others when you toke up, you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The devil is going to rape you with a porcupine for smoking the devil's herb.

14. It's not a sin. God created all things that grow from the earth. That whole law abiding thing is a joke when it comes to America. Our laws are corrupted by greed and hate. Do you think people who suffer from this could relate that scripture to today's economical standpoint? God doesn't want us to be in pain in any shape or form. I personally disregard the Worlds Law and focus on Gods Law. God has no problem with me lighting up a doozie every now and then, especially if I really need it (for physical pain or mental strain). But God also said... All things in moderation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. #35 Elem3nt17, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    That seems to be that basis for pretty much all Christianity no?

16. I hope you know I mean this with 100% honesty, but that was the funniest thing I've read in my life!!!!!! Lmfao

17. #37 Fang420, Aug 25, 2015

Not necessarily, we are given free will. Just like in earth you do something wrong, you have to pay. Nobody knows how God will judge us, God is fair and every persons circumstance is different. Only because a crazy preacher tells you you're going to hell, doesn't make it so. the 10 commandments are right on in imo it's basic principles that would make this world a better place, basic teachings that everyone follows in a civilized society. I go by what God puts in my life, he's the map I follow not the bible or religion. From my experience God has been fair and has blessed me. I work in the MMJ industry and see that as a blessing within it self. I'm doing what I love for a living. I follow God's Gnosticism and even Christians find me to be a heretic therefore I don't call my self a Christian even though I follow Christ. but at the end its what God says not them. Not every Christian is intolerant. I respect everyone's believes like I like mine to be respected . Like I said before if Jesus was around he's be part of NO religion because he knows that an has perverted it for his own personal gain. He'd be hated and labeled a heretics by the own Christians that follow him for being so tolerant and understanding.

18. Christianity in a nutshell

Good people who don't accept Jesus don't get to go to heaven and bad people who do accept Jesus do get to go to heaven

They literally believe all humans are sinners because sin is human nature and therefore you cannot be without sin; and therefore Jesus.

-Yuri

• Like Like x 1
  19. #39 Elem3nt17, Aug 25, 2015
    Im talking about Christianity, not your quasi christian new age cherry picked interpretation. How can you speak with so much conviction as if know gods will?

"Nobody knows how God will judge us, God is fair and every persons circumstance is different."

Oxymoron much?

20. like i said before its my opinion, take it as you will. god is fair, he will judge for the good and the bad accordingly. youre the one that sees it as an oxymoron, its perfectly clear. i just gave my 2 cents for the question OP asked, this isnt a debate, so idk why your getting worked over. unless youre one of those atheist that has to jump on anything semi religious. well anyways take it as you will. we all have the right to believe what we want. imma go flip over my BHO slab, lates.