Join a modern traveling hippy commune

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by thestoryofhilly, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Fellow Ohioan here! If you guys ever pass back through let me know!

2. meet up with some hippies in Florida and lived in the woods with them for a week. was a great experience and they were very adaptable (you'd have to be to live on nothing but the clothes on your back)

3. I'm 44 now and used to follow the Dead around the country in a Westphalia Volkswagen pop top mini-bus and in between tours me, my girl and my brothers and sisters would stay in national forests. You can stay for 28 days in one camp site legally and move literally right across the road for another month because technically it's another residence. You can do this continually across the country. It's awesome, you see so much and meet so many interesting people and also some ass hats but that's life. We made ovens from clay and ate fresh fish, berries, made our own bread and anything else we could put together. We showered in waterfalls, swam in lakes, creeks, rivers and the oceans! We did love the shows that Jerry and Bob put on cus it was always like home w/a real sense of brotherhood and we truly lived. However, these days it's hard to get people to stand together as a whole. I saw the decline of this during my many travels from show to show, state to state, town to town and even at the lot parties and camp outs between shows. Then, eventually at the shows themselves and it jaded me a little. I saw the world for what it truly is: GREEDY!!! I've been a loner of sorts since Jerry passed in 2005 cus in the end the music at the shows was the only thing that kept me going and thingswere so different compared to when I started touring I didn't hardly recognize my own brothers and sisters anymore. It broke me down and made me see people differently. I hope a true resurgence in the alternative family lifestyle happens or is happening but my heart is still sad and I feel the need to get back out there and see for myself that it really has but if I found more of the same-I probably would crawl back in my shell and hibernate into obscurity. Just me, my dog and a bag of seeds. Some people think that's heaven but I'm a very social creature and I need to spread my wings. I'm torn.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm into this. I've been trying leave PA forever but i dont know anyone out out West. Colorado is my dream. I'll email you!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. this thread is almost 3 years old and it doesn't look like OP is active....good luck

6. Hahah, it's funny when new members do this dead thread stuff. I remember one necro'd a thread from 2009.

7. Festivals cost money. Not just for tickets to be a guest but if you want a vendor stall at a festival, even a small unknown one, you can expect to pay upwards of $10,000 up front just to have a place to put your cart. You have to clear that vendor booth cost to even start making money lol

8. Hey thanks for inviting us. This is one of the best things that we can do for all the people who love traveling on bikes.

9. I'm still interested in this.