Bionic eye lense in two years - I want it

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SlowMo, Aug 12, 2015.

1. I'd get this 8 minute operation in a heartbeat [​IMG]

Time Magazine - This Bionic Lens Could Give Everybody Perfect Vision

"A British Columbian optometrist has invented an artificial lens that he says not only corrects a patient's sight, but offers a level of clarity three times greater than natural 20/20 vision.

Garth Webb, an optometrist in British Columbia, has spent eight years and more than $3 million in funding to develop the Ocumetics Bionic Lens, CBC News reports. The bionic lens, which was designed to replace the eye's natural lens, is surgically implanted in the eye in an eight-minute procedure.

“If you can just barely see the clock at 10 feet, when you get the Bionic Lens you can see the clock at 30 feet away,” Webb told CBC News."

2. Fuck my eyes I want Bionic Eyes that has a switch for nighttime vision and UV vision.

3. #3 Brother Urb, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
    Awesome I'm blind as a bat. Could this replace laser surgery maybe?

I'm still rockin the good ol fashion specs

4. Can we all just admit that, unless a great disaster happens first, we are going to all be cyborgs and/or integrated into a machine?

5. It would supposedly replace laser surgery on the lense because supposedly the natural lense is replaced by the artificial one.. But I'm a little confused by the news release about that.

"The procedure, which can be done in an outpatient office, takes just eight minutes and is painless, according to Webb.
    The lens inside the patient's eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens, much like cataract surgery. The process then involves flushing the eye with a saline solution. Just 10 seconds after the implant is in place, the folded lens opens up, moves itself over the eye's natural lens and vision is improved, the company says.

The lens was created after eight years of research and $3 million in funding for research, international patents and trials. The patent is expected to be available as soon as 2017, as long as clinical trials go as planned."

See Bionic Lens Implant Could Improve Vision Beyond 20/20

So, is the natural lense done away with or not? One sentence seems to indicate it's a total replacement and the other indicates its an auxiliary helper lense.

So I don't know but having three times as good vision as when I had 20-20 sounds fantastic, no matter which way it's done.

6. Is tht the lens tht will supposedly allow u to zoom in/out by blinking twice?

7. that would seem like a design flaw. Can you imagine trying not to blink all the time

-Yuri

8. lol yea

found the article

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-high-tech-contact-len...

you zoom in by winking twice with your right eye, and with left to zoom out

9. So long, Lenscrafters.