Whats your purpose in life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 3nterprise, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Procreation?

I don't have a purpose. Or better yet I wasn't "given" one. There's no one to "give" it to me.

So I create my own purpose. We all do.

I call them goals. That just sounds better.

Short term, long term, in between term.

Every time I wake up, boom first goal complete! Take a leak, bam I'm on a roll.

I don't have kids yet, so most of my goals are selfish or serve to keep my wife happy.

I'd imagine that changes once we spawn.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #42 DoctorDankenstein, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    My purpose in life is to fully realize what it means to be an individual. It means breaking stereotypes, having self-acceptance, experimentation, learning, applying, giving back and not allowing shame and the need for acceptance to hinder me from doing so.

[​IMG]

My purpose is also to struggle, to grow, to learn and to prosper. I've always loved the verse of the Bible that says:

"But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

[​IMG]

Christianity gets a bad wrap, but I've heard some great ideas from some great authors like Brennan Manning who said things like:

"Real freedom is freedom from the opinions of others. Above all, freedom from your opinions about yourself. ”

... and something along the lines of ...

"Living like Christ doesn't mean being like Christ and doing everything Christ did, but being who you are, and living your life with as much authenticity as Christ lived his."

*mic drop*

3. i think if i had one it would be to end suffering of people and to be happy and make others happy, but for everyone to be happy karma would need to take place in the lives of some evil people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Whatever you want it to be. If you spend all your time wondering why rather than simply embracing it, you'll not be completely satisfied with what you have or where you're going.

5. the purpose of everyone's life is to sing leave something behind that will resonate and be remembered for generations to come.

that's literally all you can hope for

6. My purpose is to lie in a field of grass, stare up at the sun while music invades my headphones. Oh, and be high. Yeah -- that's the ticket.

7. progress, gathering knowledge and finding purposes.

8. To be honest, do you think for example ants think "what is my purpose in life" - no, they don't. Just because their brain is not that gigantic than that of us the humans. That is why your mind is even thinking of the thought to think about a purpose in the life. But there is no purpose because the nature doesn't work like that. You don't live so you find your purpose, you are alive to live for the entire human race. So does every animal do, except pets. But our evolution is going in the entire wrong way, since decades. I guarantee you all, watch this film and you never ask the question again what your purpose is: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
    And the movie answers many other questions you haven't answered yet. There are two more movies in Peter Josephs Zeitgeist Triology

Gesendet von meinem F3111 mit Tapatalk

9. Nobody has a specific purpose. Just do what you want to do. i think life as a whole is a journey of us discovering that we can do anything we put our mind to. this place we are in we control, thats why they try and are successfully controling us. through Religion, TV, Magazines, Fast Food, Social media trends and all that shit.
    Once you have a vision for your life you can make it a reality.....

10. Enjoying it. Easy

11. To give more than I take.

Had a near death experience and saw how karma works. YOU'RE the judge of your life at death IMO.

Be good blades.

• Like Like x 1
  12. to be honest i dont belive there is a purpose you just live life and try enjoy it while it lasts

• Like Like x 1
  13. life advances into its own purpose; the experience of its own existence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I think the general purpose of life is to experience as much as you can.

These two vv They are my purpose in life, my greatest accomplishment. Raising them to be the best version of themselves they can be is my purpose, and i wouldnt change a goddamn thing.

17523123_10101133280444407_7061081658386684990_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. My purpose in life is just to be happy. I don't want to put a lot of pressure and be hard on myself. I am blessed with a good family and a job and that's all I ask for. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. My purpose is to help people. Regardless if it's family friends or acquaintances it puts a smile on my face just seeing them happy

'Too blessed to be stressed'

17. the purpose of life is to love and to serve. And to know God & our relationship with him. Read : Bhagavad-gītā As It Is & other books by Srila Prabhupad.

18. Call me cynical but as I’ve helped so many over my time I’ve found that the majority want help but do not actually appreciate it - if it’s helping with labor they are somehow busy when I need help in return, if it’s a financial thing excuses are made when it’s time to repay. Folks seem to always want but not to give in return.

I recently had a used car for sale - it wasn’t worth a ton but it was a good reliable clean car with no rust, dents, tears etc.

Through someone I work with I ended up helping out their daughter with this car just cuz - they wanted to come and look at it so I said sure and never actually put it up for sale. After driving it, etc, they said yes, we’d like to buy it.

“But we only have a few hundred $$ with us - can we give you this and make payments on the rest”?

Jeez - ok. “Can we drive it home with your plates? We’ll return them tomorrow”

Jeez - ok.

I didn’t get the plates back for a week. It’s now been a month and I haven’t seen any $$.

Most people suck dude. They’ll take advantage as long as they can - believe it.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeah im a miserable skeptic aswell mate. Saves being dissapointed all the time lol

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I try and not be a “miserable skeptic” as well lol - but I also feel like I’ve been forced into that mentality by folks screwing me over one way or another. I’m sure it’s just human nature though - and that while most people don’t even do it intentionally it’s just a whole lot easier for them to not pay back money and to not help when asked.

While a lot stems from my hell of a job - working stupid hours etc - I feel like I’ve even distanced myself from friends from my younger days. I don’t hang out with anyone really anymore besides my wife and kids, my brother - but that’s really enough for me. Not only do I just not have the time (up at 3am Home at 7pm - eat then sleep then do it again) but I’ve gotten screwed too many times I just don’t have the energy anymore.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1