Mangos stealth box grow (First grow)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Mangoko, Jul 19, 2015.

1. \nHEYO, Have a couple bagseeds in some solo cups, I plan on trying to do the full grow in the cups. Im aware they'll stay small, yield little, but its able to be done correct? Im not sure what approach I should be taking honestly. The box came with some nutes, but no directions on doses so no thanks, getting some flowering nutes soon. After a week or so Im going to start these guys on 12/12 so yea, don't expect anything huge, this is a learning experience for me! :D Any advice/criticism is welcome, thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 ray83man, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
    Nice stealth, and yes you can flower early in the plants life. i understand u trying to do micro but some veg time and training of ur plants wouldnt hurt just add time. if the cups on the bottem of ur box whats their max hieght b4 they get too close to the light? i do warn you since u have unknown genetics. the seeds u planted may grow tall as a part of their breed. some plant training is possible to circumnavigate that tho.

3. I could do some lst I suppose, I just wonder if the efforts worth it for such a small yield/grow in general. Otherwise the box is 2 feet tall, so Ill have atleast a foot and a half for the plants max.

4. yeah flower asap and hope they dont stretch, keep them near the light best as possible. might even wanna bring ur seedlings closer to the light, want some distance so as not to burn them. but keeping them closer to the light will help prevent them from stretching too much. plants grow to the light. If its not as bright as they would like they grow up to the light. ur gonna want to prevent this. ive only grown with led, so i cant honestly say if u got enough light or not. but ive seen some decent plants out of less light. Rule of thumb for lights outside led is... place the back of ur hand twords the light, moving it closer, when u feel the heat thats the limit of where u want ur plants any closer can cause damage. Led can be more complicated cause some include waves of light not present in other indoor lights, like UV and inferred. always go by manufactures specifications for led lights. For you the simple hand test will be enough.

5. Alright, Is it safe to lst while flowering? I've read it should only be done during veg. And Ive heard of the hand trick, I moved em' a tad closer, thanks for the advice

6. #6 WeedleTM, Jul 19, 2015
    Looks good man! What nutes did you get with the box? And are you gonna flower in the solo cup, or transplant before flowering?
    Possible upgrades: carbon filter and light reflector.

Yes its safe in the first few weeks of flowering.

7. #7 ray83man, Jul 19, 2015
    lst is fine during first 2-3 weeks of flower. May want to get a broader pot hell even a butter tub be better. dont have to go taller but more room for the roots the better. Also, being ur plants are bag seed, you will want to keep an eye out for balls. do some major research on sexing ur plant. will want to trash any males. will be relatively no good.

8. I planned to flower in solo cup, keep it all in the cup, I have a carbon filter on the exhaust fan btw :) I have a couple extra strips of the reflective material, where would you recommend I put them? And Nutes came with the box, but there were no directions for them (just nutes in a baggy) so Im nervous to risk how much to use.

9. yeah is better to not use those nutes without a clue. If ur on a budget dyno-gro is cheaper than foxfarm which is the most common nute. im having good results with dyna-gro. so i can vouch for them, everyone else can vouch for foxfarm lol. Both have separate veg and flower formulas which is what u want. if u go outside of those two brands make sure u look for micro nutrients plants need a wide array of nutes for healthy growth.
    link below what i am using. for flower currently

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002VZD40?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

10. Also what ever u do choose most will recommend u mix ur fert at half strength by what the product recommends.

11. Maybe its a nice idea to transplant 1 to another pot, so you can see the difference between the plants and also use more of your growbox space.

I wouldn't use those nutes, very risky without knowing the brand.

12. Right, I need to find a gardening type store nearby that has a better selection of nutes. My grocery only has miracle gro. Ill post some more pictures in a week or so to show how they're doing, hoping for 2 females hahaha

13. Small Update on how their doing! Decided to take the advice of transplanting them into something slightly larger, I cut up a milk crate and a 2-liter to use as makeshift pots haha. Hopefully this helps the final yield a bit, they didnt seem to mind the transplant at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nice ur plants will enjoy their added rooom!. You did make sure their is plenty of drain holes?

15. Mango, that's a sweet micro cab!

Did you buy it or build it?

16. #16 Toke_Wisely, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    nice cab design, will follow along

17. Bought!
    Ill have more pics of my babies tomorrow!

18. God luck with your grow. As already said get some known nutes. Also once you get to flowering you will realize the "carbon filter" that came with this box is useless.

19. How would you know that, and any actualy advice on what I should do to deal with that?

20. Every one of these small grow cabinets that I have seen all use the foam "carbon filters". They are little more than dust covers and offer no odor control. You will be very very shocked at how much a little plant will smell when growing. Sometimes depending on strain they can get stinky even before they flower.

I assume you are needing a sense of stealth with your grow. To cover the odor you will need to make a DIY carbon scrubber. I believe there is a rather nice one here on the forums someplace. The hardest part is finding a small fan with enough power to pull air through the carbon this is something the little PC fans that come with these small grow boxes can't do. And to add insult to injury of course a carbon scrubber will take up a little room inside the box which you are already limited to with the 12x12 footprint.