I need help building a very small (and cheap) area to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowingNewb, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Osmosis water isn't as good as well water... but sometimes better than tap.

You'll need CalMag to add if you use RO water.

But more than anything you have to adjust pH ... ro filters will not neutralize pH.

210 watt perpetual box
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1394922-210-watt-3.5-sq-ft-Northern-Lights-and-White-Widow:

2. As I'm trying to keep everything really cheap I'll probably use the cheap every day ingredients type method rather than ph up and ph down.

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I agree, don't let 7 bucks stop you from doing it right

4. Well hopefully they have it around town. I hate ordering so many things lately

5. forget about fertilizer and nutes to feed it. Go organic and amend your soil with just the basics and it will amaze you what you can do with just water and forgetting the whole ph bullshit, and feeding and all that jazz.

If you check at menards I've got it there several times. Pro-mix. Comes in a big orange bale. Organic with mycho...

Get some good compost of some sort, whether you know someone with a pile or have to buy a small bag, COMPOST.

EWC- earth worm castings. Black gold essentially. Just buy a small bag if you cannot source it locally.

Perlite- blend some in. About 1/4 to 1/3 of your mix.

Mix your promix 50% with 25% compost and 25% ewc.

This won't last forever, and ideally you'd want to ad a bunch of amendments down the line. But it will work has been proven before.

6. I do like the idea of keeping it as simple as possible considering its my first grow. What other "amendments" are you referring to and when would I want to add them?

7. eventually if you want to keep using your soil and make the most out of it and see what a real living soil can do, you would want to add all sorts of amendments, (alfalfa, kelp, neem, bone, blood, oyster, crab meals) azomite or other minerals, just to name a few. But it's all one in the same essentially no matter how you do it. You either buy nutes and fertilizer and have to dose stuff and feed the plant that way, or you can just put everything the plant could possibly need into the soil organically, and let the little micro ecosystem break down everything you have given it and make it viable for the plant. The plant will take what it needs when it needs it. It's just a matter of having it there readily waiting in the soil, or having to figure out what and how much it wants.

But myself, along with many MANY others will all agree on this: compost and ewc are the most basic vital building block of it all, along with aeration (perlite).

8. Ok so, 50% organic soil with no time release nutrients, 25% compost, 25% ewc, but a 1/4 of my pot will be perilite? Do I mix all this together in each of my three pots as I transplant it? Where does the blood meal come in? Add the blood in to each plant as I mix it? How much?

Man no matter how simple it gets it still manages to confuse me.

9. think of it more like 50-75% soil and 25-50% aeration (perlite) .

The meals and stuff you would eventually blend into your soil. But that would be after you had a crop or to, basically to revitalize the soil with what the plants have taken out.

10. Oh I was just going to use fresh soil each time I started a new seed.

11. #92 GrowingNewb, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    My light, air duct fan, and carbon filter arrived yesterday. DAMN that's a bright light. I also placed an order yesterday for some seeds, ordered from True North Seed Bank ( tnsb ) and now I'm just waiting for them to email me back telling me where to send a check.

I ordered candy Kush fem (1), royal bluematic auto fem (1), shining silver haze fem (1), and white widow fem (2) freebie. My first attempt will be made with bagseed however, but since it's so rare we only have one to start and if it's dead then there is no other choice but to use a paid seed.

12. Thanks for the link ill bookmark it when I get home because work flagged the link under illegal drugs and wont let me open it. If I don't like my results or just want to try something else I'll look into it, for now I'm going to stick with what mosesnumb suggested as I finally understand what exactly he meant by everything, don't need to get confused elsewhere too lol.

13. Anyone have any experience with the seeds I mentioned or the seedbank?

14. What light did you buy? I didn't see it mentioned above. At my work if they don't allow you to access a webpage it automatically sends a message to the security officer and they look into if it was illegal. Be careful what you're looking at at work if you think they could find you out from tracking it back to the computer or log in. I make sure I only use my phone at work and I NEVER use their wifi for that reason.

15. I bought this light. Thanks for the warning. Ive tried steering clear of those sites but its so damn hard sometimes especially since it seems pretty random (sensi seeds site is blocked but true north seed bank isnt, the stoner cookbook is blocked and grasscity isnt, etc). Luckily we dont have any kind of security officer here though so hoping that will keep me safe. I dont have a computer at work as Im in a factory so all the browsing is done on my phone using their wifi that Im not supposed to know the password for.

16. boom boom is talking about the exact same thing as I am. That's a good read to help you understand it all. Only for you we'll keep it a little simpler the first runs.

17. Will miracle grow perlite wotk? It's the only I can find in town but I'm not sure since it's "enriched with miracle grow plant food", although I didn't see anything about time released nutrients.