I need help building a very small (and cheap) area to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowingNewb, Jul 12, 2015.

1. You can totally bend the Apollo reflector. It's really good quality. I had a different one that was horrible and I switched to the Apollo one and it was way better.

2. The site isn't letting me quote anyone so ill do it this way.

GoldGrower: What would you suggest for an LED panel? Ive looked around already and can't find one as cheap as you mentioned

Kyle420: Damn thanks for the heads up, I had no idea the bulb was that huge. My plan was to use JUST the 250w CFL bulb and no others, doesn't sound like I would get much of a result that way

3. You can get a couple of ounces from a 250w CFL. You could get the same from an LED that uses 100w less. If you want bigger yields I'd go with HPS because once you go up to a few hundred watts, LEDs can get quite pricey.

What country are you in? I assumed the US because you used a $ sign earlier. I'm in the UK so wouldn't be able to get you a link of one in the US. There are several growers on this forum who have bought them at $60

4. Damn, hopefully I can find one for around $60 as well, the less attention I get the better

5. Well I just found this one that looks really good however I have no knowledge about LEDs, it says it Power Supply 14w. That doesn't mean that's what it puts out total is it? Is it different with LEDs and this would actually be plenty?

6. No, that's not a good one. Not enough power.

Is is what most folks buys for $60

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mars-300W-LED-Grow-Light-Lamp-Veg-Flower-Indoor-Plant-Full-Spectrum-True-140W-/171620287365?nav=SEARCH

I would agree with gold the HID lights if you weren't growing in a cardboard box but it's just too much of a fire hazard growing with HIDs is cardboard.

7. Ok yea I didn't think so. Thanks for finding that, all the ones I found were between $80 and $200, this will ensure I can get it sooner, hopefully next payday. I will try to keep this updated and place any other questions I have here

8. Would I benefit from adding other CFL bulbs at other angles?

9. That's what is uses, any light that uses just 14 watts is no good at all

10. Yes, if your temperature allows.

Are you making your grow box out of cardboard? I really wouldn't do that. If you haven't got the tools or skills to make it out of wood, how about buying a tent? These are easy to put together, come in all sizes, already has duct ports, is light proof, and is reflective. Using one takes a lot of work out of setting up

11. #51 GrowingNewb, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    I already have the box built and intake at bottom built. I really dont have much money or I would buy a tent. I will eventually though

12. Why's that? I always hear about success with cardboard grow rooms. and aren't LEDs supposed to burn at a pretty low temp? I have plans for an intake and exhaust along with oscillating fans inside

13. oh you mean because of the weight of the light? I was going to cut small holes in the top and hang the light from my ceiling. Or did you mean because of something else?

14. Couple questions but first a very small update. Last night I used up a can of spray paint painting the interior white, gotta get another can tonight. I also grabbed some thick packing paper and very strong fabric tape from work to help keep unwanted light out when its supposed to be dark and placed it on the corners where I couldn't get cardboard so it's a lot more light proof now

Before I did all that though I found turned on my thermometer and it was only 55* f which is obviously far from optimal. I doubt it, but would the 300w full spectrum led light be enough to raise it to 75*? I want to wrap the outside of the box in plastic sheeting to help keep the heat in, good idea or fire hazard?

15. It seems you are just adding fuel. Safety first!

16. skip the plastic then. What about the temp question?

17. That is something you will have to determine when you get them, and it will change with the seasons