New to GC. First indoor grow, organic soil-less medium, cfl light.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Antwan, Jun 26, 2015.

1. #1 Antwan, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    Hey all [​IMG] ive been looking for a good forum to post to, for feedback and i like GC .

Im 5 weeks into it from seed and ready to share with GC.

I just recently got my mmj script and decided to grow some indoor as cheap as i could. Heres my socalled journal so far.

My medium i went with was:

50% kellog's 'amend' superior organic bag

20% vermiculite

20% perlite

10% peat moss

My light:

I started with a piece of wood (3'x1') i had laying around and some unused lizard light sockets i took out of a ballast.

I was using 4 of the 23w cfls that are equivalent to 100w at 5000k when i started.

My fans:

Im using a box fan from walmart, steady blowing on the plants, and im using a calm breeze oscillating tower fan to distribute the heat.

Beginning of my journal:

May 19th - I germinated the prettiest 6 'bag seeds' ive been collecting. I put them in a paper towel doused in some of my fish tank water.

May 21st - Put them in nursery #1 pots and sprayed the top of the soil with tap water for a few days until their first single finger leaf started forming. Then i went to using 4-6 turkey basters(?) Of fish water every third day for now.

June 1st- took a picture today, babies are looking good [​IMG]

1435288251238.jpg

June 4th- took another picture today , looking good still, slowly developing.

1435288822929.jpg

June 6th- took a picture after watering

1435288898029.jpg

June 9th- transplanted from #1 pots to #2 pots from home depot. The plants were rootbound [​IMG] Now watering 12 Turkey basters with 1/2 nute (botanicare grow, which is organic) Started germinating 6 more i was told 4 were strawberry and 2 are afghan(this journal wont cover much involving these 6, they will be in pics. Lights are raised in here because i just finished transplanting

1435289027288.jpg

June 12th- raised my lights from 4" from the top of the canopy, to 8" from canopy in attempt to stimulate growth. Transplanted small 6 into the #1 pots and put on bottom of rack

June 15th- took a pic today, planning on getting more lights.

1435289291070.jpg

June 16th- Today i upgraded from 4 cfls(400w equivalent) to 6 cfls.

1435289413640.jpg

June 17th- upgraded lights again from 6 cfls to 10 cfls, 4 on each side up top, and 2 cfls on the side of the canopy for node growth/ light for the newer little babies. Today i got a minor nitrogen burn on tip of leaves, took to bathtub for minor flush. Took a picture when brought back to closet

1435290222107.jpg

June 18th- took a pic loving how theyre really picking up.

1435290308514.jpg

June 19th- took another pic, seems like theyre growing really fast.

1435290394808.jpg

June 20th- getting ready to pull out of closet, running out of room, and my drip pan i have is too big for my closet.
    1435290491489.jpg

June 21st- put drip pan and plants on a storage rack for height, my chains that hold my light up arent long enough for how low the lights need to be just yet

1435290614788.jpg

June 22nd- one of my plants is forming the 'claw' figured its too much nitrogen, so i did another mini flush and went to straight tap water for 2 waterings.

1435290883428.jpg

June 23rd- one/a couple of my plants are showing signs of 'cupping' today, put drip pan and plants on ground, raised the lights to test if it was heat stress. I know my bottle says growth but its just water lol.

1435291098258.jpg

June 24th- light intensity/heat stress dont seem to be the issue for the cupping, decided on testing runoff ph with my aquatics test kit, (i know theres a color tinge when testing runoff water in a color scale, but keeping it in mind the ph of my medium is all from 7.4-7.8 [​IMG] ) realized im days away from becoming nutrient locked.... frantically panicking im testing all my fish tanks for the lowest ph. one of my fish tanks that has my dempsey in it had acidic water (ph of 6) watered with 1gal per plant to see if it would lower my plant ph. Later that day i transplanted from #2 potters to 5gal buckets that i drilled about 15x1/2" holes in the bottom of today. Rootbound AGAIN 0.0

1435291679521.jpg

June 25th- today [​IMG] i did some rummaging and found a 3way tester, soil ph/moisture and lumens. I lowered the lights to about 3" from the canopy ( this is where most of my plants got between 1000 and 1200 lumens). Seeing a definite calyx on the middle left plant and a male preflower on the plant closest to camera. Could it pre ruderalis? Person i got the bag seeds from does 90 day wonders... hmm? my friend brought me the orange bottle of ph down today, did some testing on how much i need to get a gallon of tap water to 6.0 NOT MUCH going to flush all plants with low ph tomorrow to try to avoid nute lockout.

1435292407595.jpg
    i raised the lights for a good picture
    1435292436288.jpg

let me know if you have any suggestions about anything from here on out

2. Jist realized i could have posted in grow journal, or organics. >_>

3. Topped 4 plants, and FIM'ed 2 plants today.

4. well damn man looking great!!keep it up

5. Can anybody tell me whats wrong leaves r turning yellow and droop down. Auto purple pyramid really just about 2 weeks old.

Attached Files:

6. check soil ph, it looks like maybe nitrogen deficiency and overwatering to me
    thanks man, more pics coming soon!

7. thanks ....

8. Heres my pics for today :)

Topped, pretty sure its a male, gonna give it a day or two, and seperate once positive.
    1435460528917.jpg

FIM'ed possible female/hermie
    1435460591144.jpg

topped, and training by hiding big fan leaves. Bending down under colas Definite FEMALE
    1435460644162.jpg

FIM possibke male, looks like a ball, could be tiny calyx
    1435460754272.jpg

topped, and hiding fan leaves, letting colas get light. Definite female
    1435460856261.jpg

Topped, and no signs of a preflower.
    1435460929352.jpg

Signs of magnesium deficiencies, but i had high ph, so im waiting till next watering to see whats up with ph

Thanks for input, let me know if you see anything that im missing.

9. have you been feeding 1/2 strength nutes?

10. Attached Files:

11. Looking good bro, keep up the good work!

12. Overwatered

13. #13 Antwan, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    <quote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="punchreba" data-cid="21803349" data-time="1435659921">Overwatered
    </quote>

Thanks for the response i water every 3rd/4rth day. Recently flushed the day of the latest pics because of beginning of nutrient lock

14. Looking good man, if you want to do some training drill holes in the top of your pots and just ties down the plant from there. LST is great for auto (about all I grow) and also for CFLs since they don't have great light penetration. Plants look healthy.

15. Aand i have red spider mites..... or had... i picked up some ecosmart and used it this morning, they are still crawling around my 5 gallons.... maybe it will die off when i spray again in 4 days... pictures coming up soon

16. I made some upgrades over the past couple days, i placed two pieces of wood under my drip tray so i can change the angle of the tray. I then proceeded to take apart a fish tank filter, for the submersible pump, placed a hose in the outflow hole, taped it up, and put it at the lowest point of my tray, so now, when i have water in my tray, i can turn on that pump, and it pushes the water into a 17 gallon tote.

I did another submersible pump the next day, and put it inside the tub, with a longish hose coming out of the tub, and plugged it into a plug i have that is remote controlled, so when i hit the remote, water comes out of the hose and i can reuse the water i watered with already, i have a 12" airstone sitting in the tote to clean and lower the waters ph. Been thinking/debating on throwing a bag of activated carbon from a fish tank, to clean the water..

I killed the males, and letting the possible hermies develop a little more.. may end up with 1 female.. :'(

IF i have 1 female i will take it and the littles to my friends place and restart my plants but i want to add more peat moss, and some dolomite. Maybe ill pick upma bag of FFOF and mix it into my medium. And start with some seeds i got from the dispensary over the past couple months. i have
    3 platinum cookies seeds
    3 snow cap seeds
    3 key lime cooler seeds
    2 dutch dragon seeds
    1 green crack seed

Decisions in the next couple days.... i kind of want to just start over... and monitor my ph from the beginning. And do everything i didnt do, while growing these male/hermies :/
    Im not too frustrated surprisingly.. at least now i have a new good system going.