Stupid Shatter question

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Deleted member 616232, Jun 24, 2015.

1. I've been dabbing with wax for quite awhile. Recently I went to the big city and hit up a few dispensaries. I bought some shatter
    which I didn't think would be all that different than dabbing with wax. It's really difficult to get the right size and the shatter goes flying
    across the coffee table if I am not careful when I try to break a piece off.

Is there a different way than just an oil rig and a ti nail? It seems almost impossible to even get it to stay on the dabber
    unless I heat up the dabber and then it slides right off.

I don't know what i would do without Grasscity! I found out about dabbing here, and what i needed to buy but now I'm kinda lost again
    just because it's a different form of bho. Tia!

2. Heat up your dabber and it will snag the hard shatter. You just have to only heat it for litterally a split second or else it is then too hot and just cuts through the oil. And use your hands to break off dabs, don't try to break them off with the dabber. Picking at shatter with a dabber should be an obvious reason for it to shatter and have bits flying wverywhere

3. First wash your hands. Then just use your fingers to break it up. If it shatters into smaller pieces you can try to use the heat from your hands to make the stuff a little more pliable and stick together. Turn on your torch and put the dabber to the flame for split second like the Dr said. If the dabber is to hot still just wait a few seconds and it should be good to go.

4. try rubbing it with your fingers

5. when you heat your dab tool up it will melt through your concentrate. use that to get the right size piece to dab. about the size of a sharpened pencil lead is a god sized dab. it doesn't take much so be carefully. once you have the piece you want for your hit, let the tool cool just a little {blow on it} and it will remain sticky enough to grab your little dab piece. then you can hit it.

i don't like shatter for the very reason you describe. its like dabbing life savers hard candy. i go for crumble or ear wax. it is goopy and soupy at times but it is way easier to work with in my humble opinion. anyway, a piece of parchment paper to line dabs up on works well for me when i am stuck with shatter. again, i get the dab tool warm enough to easily cut through the hard shatter. then i let the tool cool enough to stick to the hit i cut. be sure to cool your dabbing tool often or it becomes impossible to work with the shatter. to clean, just warm the tool and wipe with a cloth of some type. [​IMG]

6. Thank you.Now I don't feel quite so stupid. I am not the only one who has trouble with shatter. My dealer makes great wax but I thought since I was out of town, I'd try it and do something new. I didn't realize what a PIA it would turn out to be. I probably wouldn't have bought it if the bud tender at the dispensary hadn't raved about it so much!

7. How can you guys say goopy wax is easier to work with than stable shatter. Maybe someone needs to shows you guys how to handle it

8. eh, any consistency can be handled just fine if you know how.

with that being said, sap > shatter ;)

9. My wax isn't goopy at all. It's a great consistency. It's very easy for me to take a tiny piece off and roll it into little strings
    that I can wrap around my dabber.

I tried what everyone said which was to stick the dabber into the flame but letting it cool first before picking up the shatter. I still think it's a pia to get the right size but I only bought one gram so it won't last forever. I've finally decided I like crumble the best.

10. its really not a PIA with a warm dabber especially. I'll get my dabber warm and slice dabs off it.

11. first, don't touch the wax with your hands. hands are dirty. as far as soupy or goopy wax goes, a warm or hot tool does that. i was telling you to use that phenomena to your advantage. you know, a hot tool melts through wax? get it? lol.

12. and to prove your point you decided talking smack is better then giving an answer to the posters problem. the forum is full of fools like this lol! heaven forbid a person should be able to ask a question with out dick slaps acting like dick slaps. here, let me explain it to you.

shatter is hard, like hard candy. now pay attention here because this is where the magic happens. so if the tool is cold or room temperature it wont melt through the shatter. following so far? now if you were to say, get the tool warmer then the temp of the room and there for the shatter, your tool will indeed melt through the shatter. lights going off yet? this is what the OP was talking about. [​IMG]

13. How was i talking shit? You have your head so far up your ass looking for confrontation that you take everything negatively. Grow the fuck up kid

14. #14 DabsOnTheMountain, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    I warm it in my hands, flatten it out on parchment and then break off shards with my dabber. If your careful and patient you won't lose any. I never really heat the dabber, but if I'm having trouble I torch the dabber a second, wipe it on a napkin and feel it. If its still hot the oil will stick to the dabber. I've never had an issue with this though. Shatter Is my consistency of choice.

15. My tip is to break the shatter in the parchment paper before I open it. Slam it on a counter or flick it but not to hard, should get a bunch of chunks that are ready to dab

16. I prefer hard shatter over sap, I find it easier to break off a chunk and dunk it

17. but the sap usually always has more terps [​IMG]

18. I'm still having trouble. I finally decided that the easiest thing to do is after the first dab, I put the dabber against the nail which is still warm. It doesn't get the dabber so hot that it melts the shatter and I can't pick it up. It gets it just warm enough to get the shatter to stick to it or make the piece the size I want.

I won't buy shatter again. I just think it's way more trouble than wax. I can just stick the dabber into it and it sticks and I can pick up the size I need.

19. #19 YoShytsWeak, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015

Very very true sir! This is where I argue with myself lol. Do I get the tastier one or the one that's harder to work with. Or the shatter and not taste a thing...

Lately I've been going for the tasty strains instead.

With the exception of the first time I tried it the yeezus shatter. Super stable but terps where beyond anything I've ever had. Tangie x Jesus OG is a real winner

20. theres some good answers here, but consider this too:
    buy two small silpads, keep a chunk of shatter in between them, and hold it between your palms, lay it on the enail for a second, etc. a tiny bit of heat will make shatter pliable. no need to touch it with your hands .