Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How many of you would say Weed ISNT a drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by bigtee212, Feb 8, 2007.

1. A drug is any substance that can be used to modify a chemical process or processes in the body, for example to treat an illness, relieve a symptom, enhance a performance or ability, or to alter states of mind. The word "drug" is etymologically derived from the Dutch/Low German word "droog", which means "dry", since in the past, most drugs were dried plant parts.

2. I'm thinking certain herbal medicines probably wear that crown.... St John's Wort, for example, possibly.

3. another definition:

a chemical substance used in the treatment, cure, prevention, or diagnosis of disease or used to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being.

enhancing physical or mental well-being is why i smoke pot, so i'm a drug user.

4. anyone could throw all types of technicallities at this question. i say, yes, marijuana is a drug. the word "drug", like maaaany other words, can be interperated many ways. any substance capable of ingestion most often for non-dietary purposes that yeilds a certain LD50 rating (toxicity) and releases a certain action upon the body changing its "normal" function is a drug.

and, sir smoke alot, im pretty sure all plants are substances as well.

really, anyone who denies the the notion of pot being a drug seems to cower at the very word, regarding it as something often portrayed in the media as a harmful, degradative, illicit substance. or, they're simply uneducated.

wake up. coffe is a drug, sugar is a drug, caffine in general is a drug, nicotine is a drug, marijuana is indeed a drug.

5. so does that mean masturbating and having sex is a drug:D

6. so are piercings drugs? your using metal (not a food) to affect the structure of the body....
    that definition seems lacking... thats a comment to websters, not you.

id say THC is a drug, marijuana is a plant. saying marijuana itself is the drug is like saying beer is a drug. the alcohol is the drug, the beer is the whole entity.

7. Then again so is sucking your thumb phsycologically addicting, but I don't remember seeing any law against it.

8. Salvia's not an herb.

9. From Dictionary.com:

1.\tPharmacology. a chemical substance used in the treatment, cure, prevention, or diagnosis of disease or used to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being.
    2.\t(in federal law)
    a.\tany substance recognized in the official pharmacopoeia or formulary of the nation.
    b.\tany substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or other animals.
    c.\tany article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.
    d.\tany substance intended for use as a component of such a drug, but not a device or a part of a device.
    3.\ta habit-forming medicinal or illicit substance, esp. a narcotic.

10. To me a drug is any ingestable substance that alters our psychological or physiological workings. So, yes I would say weed is a drug. However, to me the word 'drug' has no negative connotations...

11. It can be, yes; have you not heard of psycho-sexual therapy?

Sorry... What's your point?

Clinically, thumb-sucking is only 'addictive' in the sense that it is used primarily as a comforting thing. These days, medi pros don't discourage it; the link between thumbsucking and overbite has been pretty much disproven.

Thumbsucking is ony a problem when it becomes socially inappropriate.

So, not quite in the same league as drug addiction, really.... ;)

12. Its probably the safest drug out there.

13. Perhaps it's merely a techinacality but marijuana isn't a drug, it's a species of plant. Hemp, which is made from marijuana is actually sold legally in many forms in the united states. In the same sense, Tobacco is also not a drug, but a plant which produces a drug called Nicotine. And to call it a drug is to simply say it's a substance that has physiological effects on the brain and/or body. That fact isn't debatible. perhaps what we should focus on debating is whether or not THC can be considered a dangerous intoxicant with overweighing negetive repercussions.

14. I've always thought that Cannabis is a species of plant, and marijuana is the dried smokeables from it. I would say marijuana is a drug, which to me is any substance we can take into our bodies that alters our psychological or physiological workings temporarily. Besides, why else would we smoke it??

15. You're right, cannabis is the species. Marijuana is the dried herb.

16. im going to have to agree with the people that say mj is not a drug. cause it ist. it is a plant, an herb at best. its the active chemicals in the weed that make you high, those are the drugs. its just like saying coffee is a drug, its not. its a bean or seed. caffine is the drug. tobacco is not a drug, its a plant/ leaf. nicotine is the drug. if anything hash or hash oil is the closest to a drug that refer gets. maybe thc in pill form.

17. Notice the Psychological bro. Brush up on your terminology.

18. it is a drug as are many other things... but is it a narcotic? not in my opinion long live the ganja

19. The way you own people makes me happy inside.

20. Drug: yes
    Narcotic: debatable