Official Vinyl and Record Collection Thread - The Wax Spot

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by 4shotmark, Apr 4, 2015.

1. #41 4shotmark, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    This is fucking amazing man. Thanks for so much contribution. I wish I had such varied taste, I don't think I've been into black metal as long as you have. I learned about a lot of the black metal and doom metal scene right here on GC. (Speaking of doom metal, I have a copy of Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom on the way!)

Wanted to listen to some rap tonight, made me realize how small my hip hop collection is. Since the thread has been largely rock and roll I figured I'd post what I'm listening to this evening. Y'all should do the same.

[​IMG]

This album is kinda infamous. If you haven't heard this one and you're a rap fan, I'm gonna immediately point you in this direction, otherwise you probably already have an opinion on Madvillainy.

[​IMG]

The next album, Shabazz Palaces - Black Up, is a bit less known. It's a bit hard to describe the actual sound of this album, but if you're familiar with artists like Gonjasufi who have taken a more trippy and modern approach to hip hop this won't be anything new to you. I am not a fan of their newer project Lese Majesty, but Black Up is one of my favorite hip hop albums from the past few years. The sub bass is great.

2. Some older albums, when two channel stereo was the rage, a 1960 sound effect album, and fast forward to the 1969 for an album showcasing the new four-channel Quadraphonic sound technology. 

1960, Stereo sound effects record, gatefold cover. 
    Sound Effects Doctored.jpg

Originally released in 1969, this is high quality sound easy-listening music, the album was released in regular two channel stereo and quadraphonic.   
    Spaced Out - Enoch Light.jpg

3. The WHO were huge, and this 1971 album contained a number of songs that are considered to be essential classic rock, which are still played today on many radio stations.  Title: Who's Next

Who's Next.jpg

4. Due to extremely high quality sound and excellent mastering, original early British vinyl pressings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon are highly prized by audiophiles as a test record and obstacle course for analog stereo equipment. I never managed to find a copy of an original British LP on vinyl, but here's an 8-Track Tape Cartridge of DSOTM that I have in my modest collection of tapes.  On whatever format, it's also a long-time favorite of many, particularly those who get high. 

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd.jpg

5. I need to clean my records. Some of them pop and crackle a lot. Any suggestions?

6. I have an old Nitty Gritty vacuum-type record cleaning machine, which was rather expensive, but if you don't want to lay out the bread fo one like that, well respected analog-guru Michael Fremer gave a thumbs-up to the Spin Clean Record Washing System, which has been around for a long time, as well. 

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/images/stories/reviews/Stereophile_Preview.pdf

7. Lots of different methods, but you can buy all sorts of premade stuff.

A popular technique now is actually to use wood glue, but I worry that the wood glue slightly expands in the grooves and might stretch them in a way. There are loads of YouTube videos about this method and others.

8. #48 8ight, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015

[​IMG]

Though for now, going a bit more mellow. 

[​IMG]

9. Time for more Black Metal tapes haha. This will be my longest tape post due to the amount of tapes I still have to cover. After this I will have one more round of Black Metal tapes before I can start the long process of getting through the CDs.

Demonomancy: The Premonition (Black/Death, Italy)
    Denial Of God: Death And The Beyond (Second Wave BM, Denmark)
    Doomslaughter: Downfall Proclamator (Black/Death/Doom, Belarus)
    Evil Wrath: Chaotical Invasiorn (Second Wave BM, Canada)
    Exordium Mors: Sacrifice, Perish, And Demise (Black/Thrash/Death, New Zealand)
    Embrace Of Thorns: Praying For Absolution (Black/Death, Greece)
    [​IMG]

Florestas Negras: Necro Paganismo Austral (Symphonic BM, Brazil)
    Grand Belial's Key: Mocking The Philanthropist (USBM)
    Grand Belial's Key: Judeobeast Assassination (USBM)
    Grand Belial's Key: Kosherat (USBM)
    Hadez: Aquelarre (Black/Death, Peru)
    Heron: Ritual (Ambient USBM)
    [​IMG]

Hostium: Pissing Incest On The Virginborn (Second Wave BM, Canada)
    Impiety: Skullfucking Armageddon (Black/Thrash/Death, Singapore)
    Impious Baptism: Seventh Seal Of Abominable Extermination (Black/Death, Australia)
    Midnight: Complete And Total Hell (Black/Speed Metal, USA)
    Midnight: Satanic Royalty (Black/Sped Metal, USA)
    Moloch: A Journey to the Vyrdin (Ambient BM, Ukraine)
    [​IMG]

Morbid (Sweden) / Mayhem (Norway): Tribute to The Black Emperors, Bootleg (Morbid: First Wave BM / Death Metal; Mayhem: Second Wave BM)
    Nocturnal Graves: Profanation of Innocence (Black/Thrash, Australia)
    Nocturnal Damnation: Sadogoat Warmageddon Command (Black/Death South Korea)
    Nocturnal Damnation: Desecration, Crucifixion, Perversion (Black/Death, South Korea)
    Nuclear Magick: Priests Of The Bomb (Black/Doom, Germany)
    Okketaehm: Stones (Ambient USBM)
    [​IMG]

10. It has taken me quite a few years to get as far into the black metal scene as I have gotten so no worries about not having quite as much as I do. But yeah, GC has several dedicated black metal fans on here so it is a good place to find new bands. I feel posting all this stuff is a much better way to share bands than by posting one or two videos a week into the metal thread. I would suggest that you hit up youtube or bandcamp and just start searching through some of this shit I have been posting; I can't promise that all of it is amazing (or even available on the internet) but I'm sure there are a few new bands here and there you will enjoy. With a genre as obscure as black metal sometimes shit like this is the only way to spread the word about bands who would otherwise be lost in the sea of obscurity.

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429381613.033684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #52 8ight, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
    dat DJ Shadow album is dope

13. Record Store Day 2015 Pick Up

[​IMG]

Electric Wizard - Time To Die
    Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles
    MerzXiu Collaboration
    Immortal Technique - Volume I
    Oneohtrixpointnever - Commissions II
    Father John Misty RSD Single

Also this was not a part of RSD but I am super excited about finally getting this on wax. The pictures are shitty but the art on this album is really nice. 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. When and what is Record Store Day? I've heard of it before but I'm not entirely aware. Are there sales?

15. #55 4shotmark, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
    It's a nation wide kind of celebration of independent music stores and vinyl that usually happens around 4/20 every year. It was yesterday, the 18th this year. The thing about it is that now, it's turned into a day where many artists release exclusives or even first time pressings in small limited quantities which gets a ton of people hyped and going to the stores, usually waiting outside hours before like a video game release. All of the vinyl I got are RSD exclusives, but the non exclusives were on sale, and vinyl accessories had an ever bigger discount at my local store.

16. Time for the final installment of my black metal cassette collection.
    I didn't pay too much attention to the alphabetical order in some of these pics lol.

Retalidor: Sobrevivencia (Black/Thrash, Brazil)
    Purification Kommando: Nuklear Ritual (Black/Death/Grind, Denmark)
    Radioactive Vomit: Witchblood (Black/Death/Crust, Canada)
    Root: Hell Symphony (First Wave BM, Czech Republic, first press from Czechoslovakia while still under Soviet control)
    Rotting Christ: Thy Mighty Contract (Second Wave BM, Greece)
    Sabbat: Lahnsteinight Sabbattackkk! (Black/Thrash, Japan)
    [​IMG]

Smoke: Eeuwigheyt (Second Wave BM, Netherlands)
    Smoke: Sermoonen van den Sondaer (Second Wave BM, Netherlands)
    Skeletonwitch: Serpents Unleashed, limited press, signed (Black/Thrash/Death, USA)
    Temple of Baphomet: Testament of The Heretic Priest (Second Wave BM, Denmark)
    Unholy Crucifix: 666 (Second Wave Black Metal, Norway/USA)
    Unholy Crucifix: The Flesh, Horror Creatures Vol.1 (Second Wave BM, Norway/USA)
    [​IMG]

Unholy Crucifix: Iniquity (Second Wave BM, Norway/USA)
    Unholy Crucifix: Spectral Beings, Horror Creatures Vol. 2 (Second Wave BM, Norway/USA)
    Voiciferian: Iscariot Gospel (Second Wave BM, France)
    Vlad Tepes: Morte Lune (Second Wave BM, France)
    Venom: Argentinean Assault Pts. 1-2 (First Wave BM, UK)
    Yellow Eyes: Stillicide (Second Wave BM, US) My band played with these guys and they were amazing!
    Zidiz: Satan Este Con Nosostros (Black/Thrash, Chilé)
    [​IMG]

More on that signed Skeletonwitch cassette. My band got to play a show with Skeletonwitch a while back since our vocalist is friends with those dudes and I managed to not only get a cassette limited to 200 copies but I also got it signed by every member.
    [​IMG]

17. I'm super excited about this one. I'm admittedly a DG fan, and their releases are sometimes rather elusive (their Government Plate's limited edition is selling for exorbitant prices right now.) A few weeks ago I saw an advertisement for a goHastings exclusive RSD release of Death Grip's - The Money Store on a split black and white vinyl. Needless to say I ordered it immediately, and it sold out sure enough. I don't want to open it to show the vinyl but I will post a third picture of someone else's open copy. I got number #0079.
    The cover with a new censorship bar that indicates the limited edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gold stamped numbering.

[​IMG]

This is not my copy but here is the vinyl!

[​IMG]

18. Just picked up Zeppelin II today, good find

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. #59 Iron Sifu, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Seems like this is a more metal oriented thread but imma just leave a pic of my wax here. If you've been around the rate the hip hop song above you thread you've probably heard most of these (I rip my vinyl and post "back ups" on youtube, throw a lot of those vids into that HH thread).

The two milkcrates and blue bag on the side are packed too but those are for sale and covered in shipping boxes to be reused for the stuff I sell...

[​IMG]

20. #60 4shotmark, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015

Not metal oriented at all. I have posted lots some rap and some electronic. I'm trying to grow my collection in those categories specifically