Scotland mini greenhouse + First grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by KC4.20, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Okay so I live in far north of Scotland and have decided its time to  by InText">START[​IMG] growing my own smoke. Unable to grow inside and with all the weather complications I have put A LOT of research into the Setup, Strains, Locations.. blah blah blah.

I have decided to buy a mini greenhouse to try keep in the heat and stop the deer and rabbits from eating my plant!! A pot will be placed in a hole and the greenhouse will be placed around it, I will cover the floor in aluminium foil to reflect heat and sunlight.

As far as strain choice I have gone with Auto Kaya 47. My reasoning for an auto strain is it may be hard to rely on photoperiod here in Scotland and the quick finishing times are advantageous . Kaya 47 is said to be mold resistant and sturdy. Other strains I looked into more were Berrybomb auto - gorilla seeds and Hobbit - herbies. 
    Free seed that I am said to get is feminised strawberry blue, looking forward to trying this out but may just  by InText">GIFT[​IMG] to a more experienced grower if Kaya 47 fails.

I have not yet bought any of the equipment but have set a budget of £100 and so far looks to be around the £70 mark including nutes.

I would appreciate any interest, comments and ADVICE!!

2. Well it sounds like a well thought out plan re: the aluminum foil for increased heat and light; any concerns with fly-by's?  What would be the average daily temp? 

Your next best chance to growing them indoors - I think, how long do you expect your 'potential' grow season to be?

3. I don't think there would be any fly bys even so the area is pretty secluded.

The average daily temps should be around 45F, but amplified by the greenhouse. From what I have read the greenhouse temps seem to rise about 20F through the day which is just about perfect.

I'm going to start them indoors for a couple of days in the middle of March and try get last harvest around start of August however first harvest would be in May.

4. Condensation will be a problem in the mini green house, I grew in a plastic greenhouse last year and every time the wind blew, the water off the celling dropped on to the buds and cause rot/mould, also another grower I know experienced the same issue😡
    My advise is to make sure the green house is tight, I.E the skin is really tight and the whole unit is securely staked into the ground, maybe even like runners on the roof to make the water collect and run down the inside, coz mine had little condensation droplets on the roof and I knew they were there but I couldn't get them off with out knocking more on to the plants haha, I even had a fan in there😎

Why do we call it the third eye? When really it could be the first

5. From looking around I noticed a lot of people having condensation and humidity issues. So what I have decided to do is make little frame over the top of the greenhouse with cling film that will allow the rain to run of the sides. For the humidity I will put a small dehumidifier inside and maybe a fan as well? 

I delayed the start date till the start of April as that is when last frost is forecast to be. When everything is set-up I'll take photos and upload them so you can see more clearly what I'm speaking about [​IMG]   

6. It's the condensation on the inside of the green house you need to get rid of,
    I thought of making a trellis type thing for each plant but the condensation will just form on the underside of that as well, also the more stuff you put above the plant the more light restriction you'll have,
    I'm not trying to put a downer on it for you but I have been there and I have done that, hopfully you might not even get condensation, I hope you don't but just be aware bro!👍😎
    Good luck

7. Not at all I know you're just trying to help G.G. Surely a dehumidifier would help a bit as it does trap vapour in the air, I've read about people with condensation issues in there homes which was solved using one of these and increasing the air circulation. So that's what i'm going to try do!

What do you think about putting a towel over the greenhouse at night to help insulate?

8. Try it, just think that means every single night and morning you will have to go to your plot, which will get tiring real quick,
    You do need to get air movement tho,
    This was my green house and mouldy plants from last year,,, View attachment 1753552 ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549625.369125.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549640.566309.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549675.783733.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549689.021520.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549703.917490.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549720.215655.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1429549732.987603.jpg

9. I walk my dog twice a day for about an hour anyway so getting back and forth isn't an issue at all! 

They don't look that bad? what did you yield from one plant average?

Did you leave them in the greenhouse throughout the grow or did you move them outside cause I'm undecided about that atm, sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to be cautious. I'm only doing 5 plants as long as I make about 14g's i'll consider it successful!

10. Ye I got about an ounce from each photo when is cut away all the mould and about an ounce from the 2 autos,
    I left them in there otherwise the neighbours would see them😎
    Outside in the open air would be best, in pots with chicken wire round to stop the animals but as you say if you don't get much sun then they couldn't dry off the rain,
    Keep asking and searching these forums, you will get answers

11. That's good! I've already learnt a lot from this site and feel like im ready to give it a go! Just undecided on 5 seeds or 10 but that just comes down to how much money I can scrap together! 

Can't decide what mini greenhouse to use so i'm going to go with a few different ones and we will find out what one works best at the end! Any recommendations would be great! [​IMG]  

12. Most mini ones will be roughly the same apart from colours and and light restrictions, my one has green mesh through it, so it restricts a little bit more light but that was to help preying neighbours peeping them,
    I'm just curious, so you gona have 5-10 seeds, 5-10 dehumidifiers and 5-10 fans 5-10 ghouses? How are these gona be powered?
    In all honesty your best bet will be too grow the plants big enough and take the green houses away and chicken wire them bad boys up and let nature take its course,
    Look at spikes outdoor plots in the outdoor UK thread, this is what your going to have to achieve for any real yield,

13. Well to start with was going to try 3 ghouses 3 fans and 3 dehumidifiers which will have to be battery powered! 3-4 seedlings per tent then the best looking three plants from each tent will stay inside whilst the others will be thrown outside and protected by chicken wire like you said. 

Not looking for a great yield anything over half oz altogether I will be happy with!! As long as I make a gram for every £10 invested (what I pay for green)

My first time and will be more of an experiment than anything else!

14. Ye that's it, you will have problems and little things pop up, but we'll try to get them sorted,

15. Yeah I know glad to have you on my team! Just ordered my seeds will be posting pics up soon! 

16. What seeds did you decide on?

17. Bought 3 auto kaya 47 feminised, free seeds were 1 northern lights X big bud feminised and 2 Afghan regulars. 

18. Nice, when you gona start them?

19. The day they arrive haha! How long after germination can I think about moving them outside permanently?

20. Funny that they arrived just 5min after that post!