Underground Grow Box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Marry Jew Wanna, Feb 9, 2015.

1. #1 Marry Jew Wanna, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    So yesterday my friend and I were outside getting stoned and talking about growing my plant. I still wanna grow outdoors, but untill i find a better spot and untill season starts i probably wont be able to grow. But then we got this idea of making a grow box and putting it underground. I dug the hole and started making the box. The box right now is able to be slid up and down out of the ground and the plants can be accessed from the side. I need to find some cfl's bexause i have a halogen setup now which will fry my plant or melt the plastic box lol. But its all underneath a large tent to stop rain and also there is plywood laid over the hole. What problems do you think i might have guys? Gimme some design ideas! I'll keep you updated on how this small bagseed grow comes along nonetheless.

Attached Files:

2. How are you going to power it? If you're keeping it stealth or anything like that, a power cord running into the ground may bring on some questions.

It also brings on how you're going to get air circulation in there to keep fresh air going and keep temperatures down.

I've always played with the idea of growing underground, if you have any luck I'll be following your grow!

3. I hooked up an extension cord to our house's water system and ran the cord underground to my tent. There is a ton of random shit laying around as u can see in the photos so no one will question the extension cord. Plus the plywood its under was already there. Only problem i see myself running into is air circulation, i need to buy a small desk fan or some computer fans or something. I was thinking of running pool hose out from under the plywood to let it get some fresh air. Also i bought two 6500k cfl lights which should work much better then the halogen. They still get warm so i want a fan in there.

Attached Files:

4. I would spend my time cleaning the yard so I could invite some girls over and barbeque some rib-eye .. The box you are building is in fact a stoner thought that should have stayed in the membrane (if you know what I'm say'n).

I know it sounds cold, but two months from now you will be agreeing with me.

So get some trash bags and a rake.

5. #5 Marry Jew Wanna, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    I just want to try it, i have another grow going outside anyways. How can i make it better

6. Get your lights an inch away. It's gonna stretch a lot where the lights are at now

7. Okay aha my mate has a decent underground growbox, it took a fair while to set up though, he dug a hole about a meter and a half down and about 2m x1m then put a marine ply growbox down there (1.9m x .80m x 1.5m) then dug alittle more room for himself to get down there, he layed all venting underground and it all works well, some of the best mugs I've ever smoked

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

8. The plants are loving the new setup. Overnight they perked up an insane amount and are looking awesome. I still need a better fan because it gets humid and warm in the box

9. Pretty much my current configuration. Imma put a scrog screen in soon. im also going to cut a hole in the
    the bottom of the box so the pot can fit through it. This way my plant will have more room to grow upwards

Attached Files:

10. Next good rain it will be like a leaky basement.

11. No it stays nice and dry under the huge tent.. Probably alittle too hot in there, ive been having to water every day to keep the soil moist but i havent been able to see it for a few days, so wish me luck

12. #12 killset, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
    I do foundation repairs on the side, if you get a good rain you have nothing to stop it. I'm not talking about water coming from above, but instead water seeping through the ground. Good enough rain and your hole will be full unless you do something before hand for drainage. Your tent will do nothing. By your theory, no basement would ever leak as long as there's a house over it.

13. I live in florida, so no basements and rain is usually light. It rained a week straight 2 Weeks ago and its been bone dry in there.

14. Ya there's no basements because the water table in most of the state is so high they always have water issues. We have the same problems on reclaimed marsh land around here. If its staying dry through a week long rain, then it must be already draining away from the hole or your in an area where the water table isn't as high as most of the state. As long as it works, most places it wouldn't

15. Yeah true, i have a ditch pretty close to the area so thats probably where it drains off to. Im Going to check the plant for the first time in 5 days, hopefully its not all shriviled up

16. at least all the bugs outside can move into your underground grow box and have a nice warm home to chill in...
    Chef.

17. I actually kind of "dig" this idea, Could be pretty neat if you can figure everything out and like killset said keep the water out and headchef keep the bugs out..