Why are we not talking about vaccines?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Knitting Mama, Feb 6, 2015.

1. I understand that Merck isn't just throwing shit in a bottle and calling it good. Vaccines are considered "safe" but I really I feel like it's "safe enough".

Millions of dollars are paid out to the vaccine injured each year that tax payers are paying for. It's not a rare thing for Vaccines by specific manufacturers to be pulled because it's dangerous.

I know it's impossible to make a perfect vaccine, but it damn near be close before I find it acceptable.

2. the Tdap is given later in age, but the DTaP is given to infants.

Again, I totally see the reason for the existence of the tetanus shot. I was a teenage boy that lived in the country, I'm sure I had my share.

3. #43 *guest, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

I don't think it's "safe enough" so much as "safe as we can possibly make it right now" 

Yeah I didnt realize tdap was the booster, even so.. the amount of shit kids get into, if I were a mom, I'd absolutely want my kids vaccinated against tetanus as early as possible. Pertussis too. Diphtheria I don't actually know much about to be honest. 

From your own link...

"Getting diphtheria, tetanus or pertussis disease is much riskier than getting DTaP vaccine."
    "Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses) Several other severe problems have been reported after DTaP vaccine."

i thought you would post some information about "research" that you mentioned.

this is nothing new. we all know that there are side effects associated with vaccines. or any medication for that matter.

have you ever looked at side effects of aspirin or Tylenol?

6. #46 Buffalo Beano, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    the research was done by the manufacturers. That list of side effects comes from the pamphlets you get with the vaccines. I was posting the evidence found by the research done by the manufacturers themselves.

Pertussis is bad news yes. Tetanus could be but I see no reason to give the vaccine to an infant, if you read my earlier post. And diphtheria could be if it was a prevalent illness, which it isn't. You have as good of a chance getting diphtheria as you do getting a serious side effect from the vaccine.

I didn't say the side effects were anything new. I said it's no different than most pharmaceuticals on the first page of this thread.

isn't it due to vaccination that diphtheria isn't a prevalent illness? 

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/diphtheria/

so if there's a one a in a million chance of getting a serious side effect vs getting protected, personally i would chose the latter. 

anyways in your initial post it sounded like you were saying that vaccines are generally toxic and unsafe... which i disagreed with.
    if you are just concerned about harmful side effects that's definitely something i agree with.

i also think that not all vaccinations are required and the less you get the better off you are in most cases.

8. I think we agree for the most part.

I do think vaccines contain ingredients that our bodies don't agree with. To what extent is debatable. Wether those could be removed or not is another story. I don't think vaccines are flat out unsafe, but I don't think they are as safe as we are led to believe. And, generally speaking, the long term affects are not known for many of them.

As far as if the chances of both the illness and serious side effect are the same, I would choose not to receive the vaccine. Especially considering with several of the vaccines, you still have a chance of getting the illness.

Tdap is the booster.  There's a dTap given in infancy.  Everyone should get their tdap booster every 10 years, to prevent getting and spreading pertussis to infants and the medically fragile.  And also so they don't have to get the extremely painful Tetanus Immunoglobulin shot AND a Tdap if they get hurt in a way that could get them tetanus.  

Actually, it just has to be less risky than NOT vaccinating.  

That's like saying I'm not going to treat my strep with antibiotics because the antibiotics give me a yeast infection.  Sure, an antibiotic that worked against strep without giving me a yeast infection would be nice, but I'm not going to die from strep while waiting for them to develop such a thing.  Instead, I just ask my doc to prescribe a diflucan along with the antibiotic. :confused_2:

Tetanus unnecessary for babies?  You know that babies turn into kids, right?  In fairly short order, too.  And kids get into all sorts of stuff.  Sure, if I were planning on keeping my child indoors and bubble wrapped 24/7, I might not find the tetanus vax necessary.  But since that's not the case, I think getting them vaccinated for it BEFORE they go exploring is pretty darned smart.

Diptheria isn't prevalent BECAUSE we vaccinate for it.  Stop vaccinating for it, and it will become prevalent again.  The fact that it isn't prevalent is a story of vaccination program success.

Yeah it feels like my little cousin was born yesterday and he's already walking and getting into all sorts of stuff. I'd definitely rather him get the shot than risk getting tetanus at that age, he's a little terror :D

Yeah that's basically the argument, whatever small risks there may be to vaccination, they are nowhere near the risks associated with actually contracting any of these diseases.

11. Confession time: I used to have the anti-vax woo.  You know what made me get my oldest kid's shots all the way caught up on everything?  When said kid stepped on two rusty tines.  It snapped me all the way out (I'd already started seriously started rethinking my stance) of the woo.  EVEN THOUGH, THANK GOD my kid didn't end up getting tetanus, because of an immediate tdap shot AND the Tetanus Ig shot that they have to give if you're not current on your tetanus booster.  That shot is horribly painful.  And that's the BETTER case scenario (the worse one would be getting tetanus.)

All the risks of vaccines are currently so low that I not only feel they're worth it just for saving my kids' lives, but I feel like they're worth it just for the sicknesses they're missing.  You know, even if chicken pox doesn't give you a serious complication or kill you, it's still going to suck.  A LOT.  And the risks of vaccines are so low that I feel it's worth it just to avoid a week or two of otherwise inevitable misery for the whole family.  That's how low the risks of vaccinating are, compared with the risks of not vaccinating.  They're really small.

The reason they seem so high is this.  The VAERS, or Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, accepts reports from anyone, with or without medical validation.  Yes, I could report a vaccine reaction to VAERS right now, that my kid is reacting to the MMR by having a cough.  (We all have the same cold, and MMR was a while ago).  But I'm not a doctor, and my own biases for viewing something as a vaccine reaction are not something that stops me from being able to report such.

For some amusing reading: 

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/11/28/h1n1-vaccine-and-miscarriages-more-antivaccine-fear-mongering-about-flu-vaccines/

http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2006/03/14/on-using-vaers/

12. people who are anti vaccine don't understand what the human immune system is or how it works

-yuri

13. Who really understands the immune system? Why are we so clueless about so many autoimmune diseases?

14. I don't take flu shots and I never get sick almost, overall opinion on vaccines is I don't trust them

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. #55 Buffalo Beano, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    really? That's a blanket statement if I've ever heard one. So by that logic if you're pro-vaccination you know all there is to know about the immune system?

You do realize that the anti-vaccine movement isn't just a bunch of hippies mistrusting the government and big pharma, right? There are many medical professionals speaking out against vaccines, and I'm not talking about Wakefield.

16. personally I would rather get chicken pox and build the immunity naturally. With the vaccine you have the chance of the side effects, which span from mild rash or fever to seizures, and you still have the chance of catching chicken pox.

In regards to VAERS, yes anybody can report symptoms, but regular joe off the street only accounts for a very small percentage of the reporting. Most reports are made by the manufacturer or providers.

Nope.  Have you ever had shingles?  Shingles is AWFUL.  And you only get shingles if you've had chicken pox.  The risks of side effects from the chicken pox vaccine are significantly, vastly less likely and less severe than the risks of complications from having chicken pox.  You have to look at relative risk, and the relative risk of chicken pox vs the vaccine are pretty clearly in favor of the vaccine.

18. #58 *guest, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

It's possible to develop a mild case of chicken pox later in life. The vaccine came out when I was like 8 and I wish I had gotten it... I didn't because I was pussy who was afraid of shots and threw a massive shit fit about it so my mom said fuck it. :poke:

I didn't get chicken pox until I was 12 and oh man that sucked gigantic balls. 

But on the bright side instead of a shot and a possible mild case later in life, I could now get shingles which sounds super funsies. :rolleyes:

Stupid 8 year old me, you suck.

19. Ok, here are some numbers.  For the sake of simplicity, let's pick an easy complication to compare  This is from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Statistics Report. http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/statisticsreport.pdf , keeping in mind that even some that are compensated aren't proven vaccine injuries. Just cheaper in some cases to compensate. Also keeping in mind that those numbers are pretty miniscule compared to the millions of vaccines given. The diseases are far more dangerous than vaccines.

1,156 deaths over 27 years. That's a rate of about 43 per year. Considering millions of people get vaccines every year, those are some pretty incredible odds. That's safer than flying on a plane.  And that's for all the vaccines. Compared to 500/year from measles alone? And more than half of those deaths (696) are from DTP which was shelved for the much safer DTaP in the 90s. Imagine that! A vaccine was found to have a higher risk of complications and it was removed!

Anyway, that brings the average down to 20 deaths per year. That's insanely low.  From ALL the millions of vaccines given every year.

Compare that to just one vaccine preventable disease, one that we think of as pretty minor, chicken pox.  Before the vaccine, 105 kids per year died from chicken pox.

I got shingles a year ago, and it was awful.  My husband had to stay home from work for a week, because I was incapacitated from the pain, and not able to adequately take care of the kids all by myself.  The pain was excruciating for nearly 3 weeks, and only just awful for a month.  Getting shingles made me so much more pro-chicken-pox-vaccine than I already was.  I am so very very happy that none of my kids will have to go through that later in life.