Could a glass bowl be an alternative to a nail?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by jogreenie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Ok so I have like .6 or .7 CO2 gel left and its great. But right now I can only use it in a vape pen as I dont have a rig for dabs. I was wondering, what is the difference between using a traditional glass nail, a titanium nail and a bowl for dabs?

Obviously there are differences between the glass and titanium, I can tell just by the way they are shaped, but why can't I just torch any old slide or bowl connected to a bong and dab it in there? is the glass made differently? will it crack or explode? Im sure theres a reason, because if not I just solved the problem of every person with concentrates but no nail (which has to be impossible)

P.S. please don't tell me to buy a nail. I know, I am going to get one. But the ones in the smoke shop in my town are absurdly overpriced, i feel like Im getting raped when I just buy rolling papers. And if I order online it won't get to me before I go away for a while, so I can't be patient for a good deal right now.

2. Are you saying you're smoking CO2? 

3. No, its a CO2-method extract. All that means is its made by using liquid CO2 as a solvent for the cannabinoids, in the same way butane is used to make bho. However unlike bho, its a cleaner way to make a solvent based concentrate and even when if there is solvent left over, CO2 is way safer than butane.

4. Glass breaks after a while, would probably work ok but won't last forever. If its an expensive bowl I wouldn't do it.

5. Nope. Get a universal domeless titanium nail. You wont regret it.

6. Why not just stick it to the inside side of the bowl and hit it with some hemp wick? That'd work I am sure.

7. thats fine actually, I was planning on doing this with a slide that was half broken anyway, so I dont care what happens to it.

you're kidding right? thats like saying I should just smoke it like normal weed. You need to super heat whatever your smoking out of with a blowtorch, a hemp wick isnt hot enough and you can't just light concentrate on fire with a blowtorch.

8. Google bed of ash mate, works fine if you don't have a nail.

9. thats not what he meant. you could simply stick the hash to the side of the bowl and then smoke it with the hemp wick like weed.

10. Why not just go to your LHS and get a cheap Quartz nail for your bong?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Asking questions like "can I dab on a glass bowl" and expect us to believe you really have or can tell the difference enough to know you have co2

12. I know I have CO2 and personally, I don't care about if you believe me. This isn't even specifically about that. Im just curious about all dabs in general. I plan on buying a rig but we as stoners know that sometimes u just wanna be ripped and dont have the right tools on hand. 

If i can do dabs just by torching a shitty, half broken $5 bowl I have no other use for, and it works until I get a real nail, then thats information I want to know and hope someone can give me.

13. I did. I dont get it though. wouldnt it be better to just do the same thing with fresh buds instead of ash? or is there something about ash that makes it better to dab on than unburnt plants?

14. #14 Grow2dab., Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    Ash doesn't really have a taste if done properly so you only get the oil hit. You are really just using it as a screen to hold the dab, then you can hit it properly with hemp wick.

15. #15 DabsOnTheMountain, Feb 5, 2015
    With bud the oil gets soaked into it and you're smoking oil in bud. In ash the oil sort of soaks in too, but theres no bud to burn so the oil is all thats there to burn. 

I've never done the bed of ash thing with oil, honestly I only just started hearing about it for oil a week ago at the most. It was posted here somewhere, I don't know if it actually works. I can picture it just soaking the ash and doing nothing but getting clogged and getting me mad. But it's worth a try if you have nothing. I know it works with bubble hash if you don't have a screen though. Just make a pancake and drop it on top of a thick ashbed. To make the ashbed I'd smoke a bowl, press down the ash and pile more green in and smoke that. Then I'd put the pancakes on. Then just keep using it until I was out of hash or found my screens.

If you have bud though just do hippy dabs. They used to be a lot of fun. Pack a bowl, torch it to get it cherrying, and then drop a dab on and watch it sizzle. 

16. #16 AlpacaBowl_, Feb 5, 2015

Are you kidding me dude? You can get 2 day shipping on MOST websites and i bet you will still pay less than your shop. If you want to dab, dab right. You could do what we did before rigs and nails became popular and use hot knives.

Edit: In case you millennials don't know what hot knifing oil is: heat a butter knife with a torch and drop your oil on with a pin (or another pokey-jabby) Suck up through a pen/straw/anythingtubular..

17. Do not go torching a cheap already partially broken glass slide, asking for a disaster brotha ..

Cheap glass, especially already over stressed is very susceptible to shattering everywhere, - Imagine glowing shards of glass flying everywhere... Into your eyeball...

If lucky enough to avoid it exploding like shrapnel ... Red hot glass all over the carpet or floors.

Go to your LHS, and get a "concentrate bowl" ... Uhhh looks like an unmentionable pipe...(zoom,zoom)
    -10'$

Or ancient hash dabs, as another mentioned..
    Lightly pack a small amount of herb, get her cherried and apply dab to cherry, been done for a looonngg time.
    And, Amazon, Ebay... You'll have a piece within a couple days.

18. my buddy has a nice hand held dab piece, it doesnt have a nail or anything but a hole, and a pointed bottom which you heat up. its not really that thin but its not super thick either. its also very reminiscent of another piece of para that nobody likes but it is colored and has a little flower on it. these got the glass game fucked over with tommy chongs company a while ago. he also made these "freebase" bowls and it just kinda gave everything a bad name since wax/shatter wasnt really around back then. just get a rig man, its worth it. go headshopping and find the headshop that actually stocks the shit and theyll probably have cheaper solutions. 

also ceramic nails are 12 bucks, quartz are 15, tell your LHS to chill if they charge otherwise. lol

19. #19 YoShytsWeak, Feb 5, 2015
    No.

Just no.

Do not hot knife oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. Haha I'm the same, I just couldn't bring myself to doing that or the crack pipe looking things lol.