Cabinet Grow. DIY Grow Box/First Timer.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SubliminalWeeney, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Reposting this in a more general thread category just because I was getting little, to no responses and I honestly can use as much experienced help as I can get as I'm getting at my first go for attempting to grow. Started this build in the beginning of January with just the frame and now have the cabinet up, standing and already have the passive intakes inserted and a majority of the Mylar up.

Curious what's going on with BCbuddepot? Cant order anything and a majority of the other seed banks either wont accept VISA or have a small selection of seeds.

Here's a few pics of current progress.

Attached Files:

2. Also have a question regarding the rig I have setup with my passive intakes. The idea there is to kind of hook up some ducting that is equal size to my duct fan inside my box which is hooked up to a carbon fliter and exhausted out. I picture it working something like a bong, with the ducting being submerged in water pulling air from outside, through the water, and into the PVC where it will direct air into my box. Hoping this will help keep my temps more steady and offer me a way to supplement them with CO2. However I'm curious if this will over exert the fan? and will the negative pressure inside the box be bad?

would I need an additional fan to push air through?

3. Nice box. What kinda light u throwing in there? 
    For seeds i have ordered from herbies and nirvana in the past. Both took 7-8 days to ship to cali.

Thanks bud! And a 600 watt HPS?MH/digital ballast/Cool tube wing reflector. Should I be worried about hot spots with this mylar and lighting?

5. and I ordered from the vault so looks like I might be in for a wait ahahah

6. Is that mylar? Looks like tin foil??? There is always a chance of hot spots when using reflective sheeting specialy if it's not flat perfectly flat. I would recommend for the future using black and white sheeting. Even in new tents you see on the market now they are just wrapping them in white. It's super reflective and won't ever cause hot spots. Reflects the heat better also. I always used mylar at the start but I only use white now I find it works much better.

7. you think ill be fine for my first grow and change it later if any problems with hotspots arise? could they kill my plants or would I just have to readjust them periodically? underneath that all I have is a black rubberized material. don't think that would reflect the light to well as its not glossy, right?

8. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421885171.983548.jpg kinda sorta got bunked on the Mylar too. Really worried about these indents.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Dont trip......if you want a full proof way just spray the inside with flat white....does the same thing

10. that what I was thinking but I've already invested in Mylar so I'll just keep with it. Replaced the parts that I thought were a little too roughed up.

11. I always used mylar but I don't rate it at all now I always go with just white seems to do the trick much better. And I would keep rotating your plants just to avoid any hot spots pal

12. Nice cabinet, you've got skills. Only thing I would've changed is that well in the bottom. If you need to take your plants out of the cabinet for some reason with the lights overhead it will be difficult. Also leaves less room to access your medium (soil, hydro) especially with a scrog.

I used mylar on my cabinet but it gets dirty, ripped, glue from flytape stuck to it. When I do take it down it will be replaced with flat white paint, so much easier to repair.

13. Ohp, didn't know you could avoid hotspots with moving the plants, but thanks for the tip bud!

14. Yeaaaa good point, I could've made it just doors in the front, but I wouldn't have been able to seal it off as easily because I'm using particle board for the doors so it's rather flimsy and flexible.

15. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422088036.651168.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422088068.161499.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422088092.705723.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422088104.699736.jpg
    Still have the carbon filter to attach, some wire cleaning up to do, and a rig to kick up the humidity, but aside from that now the wait for seeds begins. Hopefully I can snatch some at hempcon.

16. Temps at a steady 71.8 with light at the distance from which they'll be when the pots are in. Humidity at 50 😖 hopefully more when I get a variable speed for my fan. Running a 210 CFM in a 110 space. Running like a vacuum through the intakes 😂

Yep, some materials are more difficult to work with than others, that's for damn sure :)

18. Anybody have any good soil mixs and tips for germination? Have 8 dry qt of MrclGro organic potting mix. 8 qt perlite. 4lbs bone meal. 1.5 lbs bat guano. And some espoma organic soil acidified. 6lbs. That my materials of anyone can give a good ratio of which of these to use it would be greatly appreciated.

19. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422168188.371672.jpg got my seeds at hempcon today and have some her it's coming in soon, but due to my impatience I want to start these babies right now.

Anybody know how to sex before pollen is produced?

20. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422412388.148325.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422412402.526609.jpg

600 watt ballast running at 50% to ferment my soil. Does anybody know if this is a bad idea?