How many plants can you grow with 600w HID and how hot does it get? and will it be too much for 2 plants and waste of electricity?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Basically after speaking to people thinking of just going hid, will 600w be too much for 2 plants and 2 clones? and how hot does a 600w get? I don't have any ventilation or coolers, just a small fan for the plant itself is 

2. "How hot does it get" can't be answered...too many variables.
    In a well-ventilated space, or a space that's very cold outside, 600 watts may not produce ENOUGH heat.
    In a tight enclosed space without enough air movement, it may produce way too much.

As for "is it enough"? 400 watts would do, 600 watts will do BETTER.

Is it a waste of electricity? Yes and no...you get better yield under more light. And the cost difference is the same as if you left two incandescent lights in your house on. So yes, you'll spend a bit more on electricity (a single kilowatt hour for every 5 hours it's on, compared to a 400w, or an addition of about 120 kWh a month...about 10% over a normal household use...cost you somewhere between $12 and $20 more a month--the result will be at least 4-7 grams increase per plant, though, so your yield returns that, and then some).

3. Yeah it will be in a small space, that's the fucking problem opening windows? may help? it will be in a boiler room

^ this guy... LOL What are the temps in your boiler room now ie; before you add the light?

IME any HID light can be kept within 5f of ambient temps with the proper setup. But that doesn't do much good if your temps are already 80f or higher.

5. No temperature no difference, it's a tank our water comes into the property pre-heated and goes into a tank only the pipes are hot to touch.

OK, if it's at 75f or less and you set up your ventilation correctly then it shouldn't be a problem.

7. I'm not going with vent I told you

8. #8 CanadianOrganic, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    You won't be able to run it without ventilation; he already told you.
    You won't be able to run any plants without ventilation. You need to exchange air or else they will suffocate. They will convert all the co2 in the room to oxygen and then have no co2 left.

9. #9 CanadianOrganic, Jan 1, 2015
    Of course, this is dependant on the size of the room and number of plants. If your room is big, like 7x5-10x10 then I wouldn't worry about running out of CO2 for 2-4 plants.

11. I usually will just get a box, flatten it and loosely place it in front of the window. So the top of the box is leaning against the top of the window. This will still allow nice air flow and should block a majority if not all of the light. Or fuck, just fold a sheet a few times and nail it in front of the window. Use a dark colour - black or something. The sheet layers will be thin enough that it will allow a breeze through but the multi-folded dark colour will stop the light.

12. #12 killset, Jan 1, 2015
    You have to have ventilation, there's no way around it. Especially in a boiler room. I used to live in a house with a boiler, if your room was anything like that house its gets hot and humid in there when the boilers running. When the boiler and water heater are actually heating up they put off a lot of heat no matter how well they're insulated. Those "hot to touch" pipes are also a heat source and your the only 1 there that can tell how hot and humid it is, put a thermometer/hygrometer in there, guessing isn't going to work. Get 1 that keeps track of the highs and lows because you wont see spikes in heat and humidity unless your in there 24 hours a day. Plus no matter where you put it you have to have fresh air or you will be wasting your time. Everyone has different techniques and such but the basics are the basics and everyone agrees you need fresh air. If you can't supply the basics, then your wasting your time, money and effort and growing isn't for you. Listen too these guys, they've been growing and know what they're talking about. It would really suck investing time and $ just to find out your environment will not cut it.

13. james...I'm not being a dick here...but give up.

You can't do it with the constraints you're putting on it. You're trying to beat laws of physics, environmental sciences, biological sciences, Ohm's law.....and you can't do that. You can use them in your favor. You can fight to control them where you can't take advantage. You can't BEAT them. They are part of the reality we live in, not a dreamworld of "I want to grow, so I'll grow them where I want, regardless"

You're trying to do something as ridiculous as trying to grow by natural sunlight in an ice cave at the north pole in January.

You have to have the PHYSICAL ABILITY before you can do it, and just about every second post you make shows you just plain aren't in the circumstances to have that ability...you'll waste a ton of money, and get nothing in return...or if you get anything, it'll be absolute minimum yield of the shittiest weed ever recorded, probably rife with root rot and bud rot because you can't fight fungi in the setup you keep saying you're trying to do, with unacceptable light control conditions, impossible atmospheric control conditions, impossible RH control, difficult to control heat conditions, and so on.

Sorry man...but until you're willing and able to step up and provide what they need, and maintain control of environment enough to make sure they don't get killed by it, it's a doomed project...and you're fighting understanding this every step of the way, as people try to help you figure out if there's any way possible it COULD be done...yet you don't have the information needed for them to say anything but "maybe you could" when you ask the question, then, when you say "I can't because....", and they tell you "nope, you can't do it that way", you get hostile.

Seriously, man, until you're willing to at least do it HALF right, you're much better off continuing to buy your weed off the street.

14. #14 Thicken Dense, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    I'm not convinced he isn't trolling, this guy is funny. LOL

15. I too feel as tho he is at the point of just trolling this Beginners Forum and its getting quite annoying.

16. I suspect you might be right...either trolling, or we're talking to a 13 year old with big dreams and zero understanding of the world.

Not that there's anything wrong with being 13 and having big dreams...that's where the best and brightest start out...but they spend their time learning how something CAN be done, not stating they're doing it a given way, then getting pissy when told it just flat doesn't work that way.

No matter how you cut it, he's no Stephen Hawking....though, with his little fantasy land of "it'll work because I want it to", he might be a budding Steven Spielberg.

17. #17 }-MaDCoW-{, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    Yeah bro , get that 600w and you should have the perfect environment for growing cactus! Put them cactuses in pretty pots and sell them on eBay and use that money to buy your weed because growing it is never gonna work out for you if you don't do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. I agree, 250w tent  kit I'm going to invest in a kit which is on offer and works out cheaper when you buy it in a set/kit but the problem I have is where the hell do I vent the air to from the exhaust I have no chimney and I live in the middle floor of a house nor do I want to create one as I do not want to damage the property. 

19. If you can't vent have you considered co2 enrichment?

Sent from my Etcho-sketch

20. #20 james.wolverine97, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    That's not a problem, what am I going to do with the smell?, I probably will get carbon filter but my concern is WHERE am I going to take the duct pipes to?, I mean it comes with the tent kit so i got to put them to use some how so what can I do? if I just left the duct pipe hanging on the floor outside of the tent will the air coming out of duct stink? or will the carbon filter sort that out? I could some what use it as a heat source to heat home as long as it doesn't stink.