What are cheapest light source/bulbs out there that are cheap + use the least electricity

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014.

1. #21 james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    so as I remember my mom had and still has plants and in order to clone them she would cut off one of the branches/stem from a thick/darker area that is mature and been growing for a while and leave it in water for it to grow roots, same thing for a weed plant?, and also idk  80-160 dollars (im using dollars because I don't want to give where I live) i did a exchange rate.
    room i would sat very small just a corner size of 70 CM floor length, and height wise not very long I'd say about 2-3 foot. 
    What can I do about smell? I live in a flat. 
    also idk I'm just thinking for smoke of 2-3times a week.

2. #22 ghostintheganja, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    LEDs are overrated have done side by side comparison with LED mh and t5..... The t5 blew everting away with the upgraded bulbs you can keep it stacked and under 300watts that's the same usage as 3 house bulbs and that's on a 2ft by 4ft set up 7$ a month to run. LED just doesn't put the light through the thicker stuff. Lighting over 16 hours a day is a waste of $$$ you plants can only photosensitize so much then like you and I they need a rest. T5 can do it all but I suggest at least 200 watts per plant to get a good yield... Also use supernatural!
    And if you don't want people knowing where you are don't use slang like flat mate we call them apartments

3. Im leaving it up to you, Gold :p Im out after I heard him ask what kind of plants they are...

• Like Like x 1
  4. 150w HPS will grow 2-3 plants with way better yield and faster growth than the CFL's, saving you electricity in the long run. It won't put out too much heat, and you can get one for roughly the same price as a few CFL's and the lamps and/or connectors and plugs you would need to run the CFL's. The 150w HPS comes with a built in ballast which is a plus. I've seen much better growth since switching to HPS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sorry about not noticing the strain name we all have the same affliction here I would believe. Hps through whole grow? I will suggest hps for flowering but not veg.

6. HPs are good for bud not grow when I suggested 200 watts pe plant I was referring to hps my bad but high output 54 watt floros are the way to go

$160 or about £100 is going to seriously limit your efficiency. You could buy a 60cm x 60cm x 140cm tent for £25 and then you are left with £75 for a small exhaust fan and a light. You can get a 300w CFL for £30 and a reflector for £20 and a second hand 4" systemair fan for £25. You could get around 3oz per 3 months with this set up. You would need to spend more cash at some point but you would have enough to start there. A decent 4" carbon filter will run you up about 40 sheets but you won't need it for a few weeks 

Btw I'm from the UK too, hiding the country you are in is unnecessary, although I wouldn't narrow it down any more than that 

8. #28 .bios., Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
    have you seen these. you can build 1 of these per plant, the yield, with training can be unmatched..

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Grow-Light-4/

there is nothing cheaper than this. $8/year 18hrs/day/365days ON
    $15 to make
    12W equaling to ~100+W
    full spectrum

CFLs are yesterday - save your money.!

love & peace
    .bios.

Attached Files:

9. It's a cool idea, but again that's a 12w and I don't think it will be nearly enough for one plant...

• Like Like x 1
  10. #30 .bios., Dec 24, 2014

3W LED versus 23W CFL

u sure?

11. #31 NorthernAutos, Dec 24, 2014
    Those are 1w LED's in there, I would personally choose a 23w CFL.

I raised 2 plants for a month under a single 6100k 32w but they were smaller than they should've been and obviously not happy with the amount of light

12. You aren't going to get hardly any yield from a 12w LED. Your biggest investment is the 3 or 4 months that you spend growing the plants. Anything less than a couple of oz is a waste of time. A 12w LED wouldn't give you more than a few grams 

• Like Like x 1
  13. People it's not the spectrum or the ability for the plant to use that spectrum. watts per square foot per plant is what gives you a good harvest and grow. people think that LEDs are awesome but in the long run you're wasting your time with longer periods of growth costing more money due to chemicals in water and space taken up