UK police to get drugalyser kits starting this week

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by sKiTz-0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Morning all,

Just been reading this on the news:

http://www.dailymail...yse-threat.html
    http://www.itv.com/n...rugalyser-kits/

From further reading it looks like the devices used can detect thc in the system up to 14 hours after ingesting. Now, this is pretty worrying for me. Not because I get high and drive. But because I usually have a couple of vapes on a weeknight to wind down after work. Just like a lot of people have a couple of beers to unwind. Fri/Sat I usually have a bit more, but that's fine, I can avoid using the car at weekend for 14 hours after I ingest weed. The trouble is, I need my car to get to work (I work 16 miles away and to get there without a car would be a walk, bus, train, walk - which would not only take 3 times as long as driving, it would cost 3 times as much!) So I can't afford to lose my license just because there is still some thc in my system.

Anyone else from the UK worried about this? Does anybody have any reliable information on how long thc stays in your system, detection in saliva, and if vaping makes any difference to detection than smoking does?

I'm thinking I may have to keep weed to just Friday and Saturday nights now this is in effect. Will anybody else be doing anything similar?

2. Ahh fuck. Instead of taking steps to a better future for weed they're going in the other direction...

3. Neither of those articles mention marijuana. Just prescription and otc drugs.

4. #4 sKiTz-0, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014

From the article - 'The Home Office has approved roadside testing kits that will analyse samples of saliva instantly to detect illegal substances as well as so-called "legal highs".'

I read up on the tests that they are using and here is a bit more info on the kits: http://www.modernhealthsystems.com/drugalyser/technical.htm

Says that it can detect thc that has been ingested for a period of up to 14 hours. I also found this info on their website : 

"The new drug driving screening equipment will strengthen the police's ability to detect low levels of drugs in the saliva of drivers.  These are known as ‘cut-off levels' and can detect the presence of drugs such as cannabis at various readings.
    For instance the legal levels in France are 15ng; Germany 5ng; Norway >20ng
    The UK Government has set the cut-off level for cannabis at 10ng."

I'm wondering, and now researching, about exactly what sort of levels of thc I would be looking at the morning after I have had a little vaping session the night before.

5. Fuck. This is worrying. I'm researching this right now, thanks for the heads up OP.

And to the dude above me, thanks for the info on the cutoff level. 

6. I am both OP and the dude above you  :)

I'll post anything I find on how long it takes the body to get rid of thc and what kind of amount you are safe to have in the evening if driving the next morning. That's the trouble, it's easy to figure out if you are safe to drive or not (to an extent, I should probably say it is easy to guesstimate) but how are you supposed to guesstimate how much thc is in your system. I've been a daily smoker for 16 years, does this have an effect for example? thc stored in fat, so if I burn fat through exercise, does that have an effect? Lots of questions for this and maybe some worrying times ahead in the UK.

Sounds like its similar to/the same as saliva tests that have been around for years. If it goes back 14 hours I don't see how a DUI conviction could hold up in court since the effects of smoking marijuana last < 5 hours. But I live in the USA, I don't know how DUI laws work in the UK.

8. Ok, so reading about the concerns of persecuting hundreds of innocent drivers who had a joint the night before, and then I found this on the mhs website: "This is essential as the most popular drug used by drivers is cannabis which has featured in more than one tragically fatal accident."

So we're going to 'drugalyse' all these drivers to try and combat "more than one" out of what, 60 million people in the UK?

9. Oh shit haha, sorry dude didn't bother to scroll up! 

You're right man, in my opinion, for a country that is pushing for the government to make cannabis legal, this is the complete opposite of democracy, because it is just so unpolicable... 

Thanks for keeping us updated too man

10. This won't happen, too many variables

Chef.

11. Chef I think if you're stoned enough driving theyll use this against you, and if it goes to court, this will be the nail in the coffin 

12. Yup this won't happen. Imo anyways, they have been trying to bring this out for years!

Chef.

13. This won't happen again. I believe.

14. What do you mean it won't happen guys? It's been signed off by the government and is starting this week

15. #18 Physcotic1, Dec 21, 2014
    dude dont drive if your blitzed yield to pedestrians and always pay attention to traffic signs .seatbekts are still questionabel i mean when a mans wife gets decapitated by her seatbelt in a crash its hard to justify forcing someine to wear these devices.

16. I think "drugalyzers" are a great idea.

One of the strongest arguments against legalization is DWI's. The idea that people can smoke cannabis and then get behind the wheel of a car scares the fuck out of the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. #20 Galaxy420, Dec 21, 2014
    cannabis increases blood/oxygen levels to the eyes, this in turn increase the abilty of that organ to do its job. it is why it helps with Alzheimers and it helps people to SEE better. How can seeing better be a bad thing especially behind the wheel?  until we get better tests the public does not know shit and they are happy that way unfortunately. 

to prove my point- go smoke a J and go in the woods. what happens, you start to see all the nature and things in a totally new way( better vision!)