Feeding Coco Every Day?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MisterWinter, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Thanks that's why I switched I want a hydro like grow but coco seems a little more for giving than full hydro

2. just watch the run off, i have a report that says up to 250 ppm higher is acceptable after that you should prob water more, if it's less, add more nutes!

idk if that report is accurate btw but i've been using it, seems to have lots of flushing but idk my tds meter might be fucked haha im a pro what can i say

3. My tdm said 255 actually lol

4. that might be perfection :D i'm still trying to understand coco and ppm, it's not as straight forward as DWC :p

5. So far I've gotten by without worrying about ppms. I just mix the nutes, pH it and dump em in... but coco seems like an incredibly forgiving medium. Not sure I'd get away with that using something different.

I'm in 3 gal fabric pots and like I was saying, they didn't dry out for 5-6 days when the girls were seedlings. When they hit their growth spurts they really start drinking and you'll be water/feeding at least every couple days. I'm using straight untreated, inert coco.. So I just started a new sprout a couple weeks back and soaked all the coco in 1/2 strength nutes w epsom salts for a good 4 hours before droppng the germed seed in... then left it alone for a week, then gave it another 1/2 strength feeding, but just around the perimeter of the pot. So far it's taken everything like a champ. I might even go right up to full strength next week and see what happens.

I went a little flush-crazy on my first grow and did one a week and I really don't think it was necessary. They're in flower now and I haven't flushed close to three weeks and they seem fine. I haven't flushed the new one yet and probably won't 'til 30 days or bloom, whichever comes first (autos). But I'm pretty new at this so everything's still touch and go.

6. Just crusing for something else and read this thread,  Interesting.
    I use Lucas formula, no additives, never flush,  nutes ever water, straight coco.  Add CalMag- then Ph- then add nutes-then measure  tds 600-800 veg, 1100-1400 flower.  Simple, easy  & good results.
    I can't tell you how glad I am I don't buy 20 different additives anymore.
    I use SM90 on ocassion in the watering to prevent soil insects.  Hang no pest strips in room and spray ocassionally as a preventitive for bugs and fungal disease,  and that's it.
    I think back a few years and of all the crap additives,
    anyway just saying it don't have to be so complicated
    That's the reason you use coco

7. i have also stopped buying additives, a good base forumula is cheaper easier and works! why bother wasting money on products marketed to the grower, not the plant ;-)

last weeks ive been obsessing on this topic and i have came to the conclusion, 250 seems like a good buffer, when it's higher than that my plant didn't curl, ike N claw, but it didn't get darker, the second plant same strain same age had a higher tolerance, the run off was lower than 250 and stayed smaller and lighter green, not as dark, i still don't feel resolved about tds and coco but i think im making some progress

8. To start, using 100% coco for your grow media is not a wise choice. Plants need so many nutrients and you run the risk of salt buildup feeding so often..even in coco coir. The risk of plant nematoads and other nasties is waaaaaay overstated..plants grow in the soil best, period..second to that hydro and ONLY because of the control issue..you can control the nutes, the ph, the flow, everything..but that to me is a hell of a lot of fiddling when all you really want to do is grow a freaking plant to maturity. Plants LOVE the soil...let em have it..and if you grow organically, you dont even need to feed...just water.

9. yeah everyone who grows in coco is dumb, it's a stupid decision to grow in a hydroponic medium that is muchhhh more forgiving than dirt, so stupid

• Like Like x 1
  10. Have to disagree fully with that posts sorry but I use full coco an never had a problem am get great results an have grows to back it up I have never had to flush a grow for salt build up yet
    Fine tuning ? Nah mate a reliable ph n ec pen is all a need set ph n ec water once a day
    Can't get any easier Stevie wonder could pull a crop in coco without any hassle

We used to have a joke among my friends when a few of us changed to hydro he was still soil
    Hydro cause we can
    Soil cause u can't lmao

11. Dont put words in my mouth blowhard....I'll repeat so even you can understand. Using 100% coco is not the BEST choice for a growing medium....using 100% coco is a compromise that has to then be tended to make as good as soil..you need to feed more often that alone causes problems and the issue of pests in the soil is rarely a problem if you have a clean growing room and control of your grow area...and since you are using coco I must assume that since you NEED to control so many more issues than with soil you have all that under control...and that comes from someone who has 42 years experience in growing (admittedly only 12 or so experimenting with coco coir) but I would hazard a guess that that is 10 more years than you sassy lad.

12. #34 BloodBooger, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    Those "fools" over at Rare Dankness Seeds, Mandala Seeds and Sensi Seed Company dont know shit about Coco or they would advise you to go 100% Coir.....instead they reccomend a mix of top quality soil, even organic with up to a 50/50 mix of coco coir. Get off your high horse and start reading for a change....and for the record I NEVER said you couldnt get a dank crop out of coco..I said it took more measuring, more work and more attention to detail...thats fine for some and hooray if you have the time..soil is just EASIER and produces better terpine profiles...and thats not me saying that..take it up with the big boys...

13. You made my point for me. I can set up a soil grow for the cost of a bag of dirt, a seed and a light. I dont need meters, pens, tanks, chemical nutrients, pumps, gravity basins, tubes. etc, etc....sure you CAN do it..but why...cause you can? Go for it.

14. someone has some sand in their vagina hahahahahahahahaahahah you whiny bitch you sound like the pigeon i was with last night

15. you hijack the thread saying guy is dumb for growing in coco, you're a tool just shut up now

16. If you're really trying to grow/yield big I'd suggest asking "how many times a day should I feed?", not "should I feed every day?"  

To fully take advantage of the benefits of coco, it's best to use a smaller pot and multi-feed. 2 gallons of medium tops for a 8-10 ounce plant. Its important to note you need to build up a healthy root system before upping your feeds so you don't drown your plant, but realistically, within 4 weeks from seed you should be able to feed a minimum of 3 times a day. I currently feed every 8 hours and this can really take your yields to a new level. 10+ ounces off a single plant is easily attainable.

Food for thought...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Do you hand water or with a res?