Do fish get bored?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Oct 4, 2014.

1. yes

-yuri

2. [​IMG]

3. Think Ill get some jellyfish for now until i can afford a really big tank, want a minimum 2meter one then i wont feel guilty

4. studies show that carp raised in boring boxes with only gravel have lower IQ than ones in tanks with decorations.

Morality though is an interesting thing.

All we know is experience. These fish are bred generation after generation in tiny tanks with many other fish. To them, the pleasures of life are relative.

My brother in law keeps an Oscar in a 30 gallon tank. To me that's seems cruel.

I keep a 75 gallon (which is still too small IMO) and I raise only small fish like guppies and tetras.

I wonder if the fish really care, and at what point it no longer matters.

What makes fish happy? Do they even know bigger tank are a thing?

-Yuri

5. fish absolutely get bored inside an aquarium.

I have these 2 prehistoric fish called bichirs, and for the most part, they seem content. Plenty of food, no predators, so they mostly layer under a log, waiting for food. Presumably bored.

I added 6 more last week and now they are out and about, exploring the tank a bit more, as lounging areas become scarce.
    Intelligent fish like puffers can also bored and like a dog will start biting and chewing on everything.

There are plenty of youtube videos of people petting their fish, and running away from people it doesn't recognize.

6. if I had a couple female fish friends with benefits, I'd be ok, mann.

🌱