HEATING PROB heat lamp?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by teenrider03, Jan 15, 2007.

1. my plants really havent been warm enough and i cant have my heater and mh 400 watt light on at the same time so is it ok to havea heat lamp on the plants? i was thinking about buying one today..luiek the kind that go over snake cages?

2. i sometimes have that problem. is your hood vented? if so, try opening the glass a crack and let the vented air heat the area some. i use a ceramic heater too. i would shy away from a heat lamp.

3. i dont have a hood i i have my light on 18/6 and my plants r small now so i only have a heater fan on the hours the light is off so no exhuast really then it would be even colder..but heat lamp's probably wouldnt hurty the plants right? or maybe just dont point them at the plants and next to them so the soil stays warm cuz its too cold now

4. i'd be careful directing a heat lamp towards your plants man.. it may burn them. Those things are made for french fries not MJ.

would it help if you left the lights on 24 hrs?

5. a friend of mine puts heating pads under his pots on a low setting to keep the roots warm, may wanna try that. He's had good luck with it.

6. Yep, if you keep the soil from getting too cold then the plants can take the temps a little better. Heating pads or food warmer trays, just careful not to melt the pots. You want the soil to be warmer than freezing cold but not really warm soil.

The problem with a heat lamp, besides risk of too much heat, is what happens during the dark period? That probably is the coldest part of the cycle since the HID is off, but you can't use a heat lamp then or it won't be dark. Even a heater can cause light problems.

Hard to give you constructive advice without more info on your grow space. Can you insulate around your cab? Heat the intake air? Put a reflector hood on your HID?

7. well i dont have the heat lamp pointed right at the plants and its been on for a day and so far its keeping it warmer its only 68 in their right now but tis not too bad..but my heat light is on during my dark period but u dont have to have a dark period in veg right?? because i did have my light on for 24 horus i havea 400 watt mh but its alot for the electricity and my heat lamp is on 24 hours but its ok that the 6 hour period is just when the mh is off but the heat lamp is still on so its not dark its light just not as light in there...and does anyone know what nuts r good to use??? and how much my first plant is like 1 month and 1 week old and my others r a couple weeks

8. Hey yeah you can leave the heat lamp on during veg. you'll be fine, You say the temp is only 68 in there... thats a bitt chilly for them if u could get temp up to around 75-80 you'll be in great growing weather!~ Just make sure and keep plants fart enough away from you heat lamp, otherwise you'll be sorry you didnt. Also Make sure come time for flowering you dont have the heat lamp on, as someone said earlier the heat from heaters and heatlamps may mess with the lighting cycle during flowering. I am using Shultz Plant Food Plus and have done soo with outdoor grows also, seems to do the job! Well Good Luck to you my freind!~ Happy growing!~:wave:

9. what do u use schultz 10-15-10? and how often do u use it and how much..thanks